Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:03:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Zulu war 28mm project  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
Zulu war 28mm project
« on: February 12, 2021, 06:04:55 AM »
Hello folks,

I'm relatively new to the hobby, maybe a year in and have never gamed before as I enjoy the painting aspect first and foremost.

If I may, I'd like to ask for feedback on my figures from time to time as I recognise there is much room for improvement and there are so many talented painters here.
Some I intend to sell, others to create a battlefield diorama.

These are 3 sculpts by he renowned Paul Hicks for the Empress miniatures zulu war range.

I start with a black grey undercoat, fill in the main colours then wash in the appropriate colour, so red wash on red etc, then highlight a shade lighter and cover in soft tone before highlighting skin again.

Can I ask, what am I doing right/wrong, how do I improve (any quick tricks), do I need to change anything that's just 'not quite right'?

Any and all feedback will be much appreciated.
Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
Re: Zulu war 28mm project
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 07:08:44 AM »
A lovely job, more of the same I would say :-)

Do you put a varnish on to protect the paint job?

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 08:27:17 AM »
Thank you Norm.

I'm content with the figures but really hope to be able eventually to emulate the work of charles baynon and Kevin Dallimore if at all possible.

I have found a style that's similar to baynon circa 2011 so a long way off yet.

Yes, I use vallejo matt varnish, brushed on sparingly over two coats.
It's great stuff but occasionally decides to shine a little too much so I have a bottle of army painter anti-shi
ne to hand.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 11:11:52 AM »
They look good to me, although I am hardly an expert on the period (I know more about the movies Zulu and Zulu Dawn than the actual history the movies are supposed to portray).

I have not had much success with Army Painter anti-shine out of the bottle but thankfully brush on Vallejo matt clear coat has rarely let me down. I want to see if spray version of Army Painter matt clear coat can help with my sometimes too shiny static grass. But that said last summer I had some unhappy results with spray on matt clear coats (Army Painter and Citadel) I suspect due to not waiting for optimal weather conditions.

Your painting looks good to me. I might have gone a bit heavier (edit: not heavier, I think I mean sharper... something to make the band around the crown of the helmet pop a bit, maybe a different base paint color under that band from the helmet? Maybe a tiny bit of black wash on the band to pick up the line between the band and the helmet? This should break up the helmet color a bit to make it more 3d in appearance from a distance) with the wash on the helmets but it looks good as is.

I used to only use washes of the same color as the paint but after watching some tutorial videos on YouTube I started experimenting with surprising wash/paint combinations to allow more diversity in shades of color. You might find that works for you as well but then you might not. My last batch of painting was a bit too “muddy” for my taste, perhaps down to not cutting the citadel null oil wash with any medium or water. But being Napoleonics I put it down to smudges from using black powder in the field. And I notice my painting style is not as vivid or bold as many other folks. I am lazy with highlighting for example.

We can all talk about technical artistic skill but I think Art is very down to personal taste.

And I like your artwork!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 04:01:02 PM by Rick W. »
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 02:40:16 PM »
Thank you Rick.

I had a rather discouraging moment with spray on varnish, looked as though I'd glossed a figure, I don't remember the brand though, seemed the better idea to stick to brush on after that.

I'll try out what you've suggested, and post up the results, sounds like a effective method.

I appreciate the kind words

Cheers

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 04:02:31 PM »
I have benefited from feedback on my painting in the past, always happy to try to pass on the help I had.

Online Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 09:35:06 PM »
In case you haven't seen it, Empress's next 'lockdown deals' will include a lot of Zulu Wars British, going up around 09:00 tomorrow (Monday) morning.

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 10:25:11 AM »
Thanks for the pointer Ash.

I was going to purchase a pack for £12 when I saw that postage within the UK brings it up to £22!

That's absurd if it's not a system error, I dread to think what their international rates are.

Online Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 02:54:39 PM »
Wow, that's 'shurely shome mishtake'.
Just checked my last orders and paid a very reasonable 75p P&P on a pack of four (so £1.50 for eight figures) & £1 on a pack of six figures, a pack of 10 blokes should have been around £1.75 not £10..!

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 04:27:09 PM »
Wow, that's 'shurely shome mishtake'.
Just checked my last orders and paid a very reasonable 75p P&P on a pack of four (so £1.50 for eight figures) & £1 on a pack of six figures, a pack of 10 blokes should have been around £1.75 not £10..!

I'd better email them.
I'd like the figs and would be a shame to pass up

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 04:56:08 PM »
Great looking paint job on the whole.

It maybe the lighting but the Pith helmets look a little dark, but then I've no idea the colour range of tea stained white hats are, but I thought of it as more Beige than a solid light brown.

Is that a Colonel Durnford in the back? Where did you get him from? Is it another Hicks figure?

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 05:27:58 PM »
Hi Andy, thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I did wonder if the piths were too dark but once a number of figures are gathered together, I felt it added to the 'Victorian' feel with colours somewhat muted.
As far as I understand it, by and large, the troops used mimosa bark, which is a little more effective than the tea some used.

I think I'll switch things around a little and have a few in new and brighter tunics/hats.

Durnford, that's a Hicks sculpt yes, comes in a pack of 2, mounted and foot from Empress miniatures.

Some lovely characters across that range.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 05:34:42 PM »
Look good to me!!

When it comes to you painting the Zulu's this link might be of help: http://alystoysoldiers.blogspot.com/2019/10/zulus-to-southwest-thousands-of-em.html

I have many many hundreds of these lovely plastic Zulu I have to paint through, so might with most of them take this fast but quite attractive approach by Aly!