Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:29:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690927
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cyber Ninja Setting...Which Rules?  (Read 722 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Cyber Ninja Setting...Which Rules?
« on: February 13, 2021, 12:49:25 AM »
I'm wanting to put together a table to game the sorta 16-bit era videogames such as the Shinobi series on the Genesis and Ninja Warriors on the SNES. Games like Streets of Rage and Final Fight would also be strong influences. Players would each control a gang of bright, colorful ninjas and mooks in dystopian near future settings. I'd like to be able to take the wonderful Test of Honor models and add some guns and scifi armour bits to em. Also, use some of the Warlords of Erehwon creatures like the oni, ninjas, and Tengu Birdmen. Again adding some near future weapons.
I'm not looking to rework a ruleset too much...don't have time for that, but just use an existing one straight up.

Leading contenders are:

Fistful of Kung Fu - this seems tailored for it, but is there a decent creature list in it or is it just human gangs? I don't read a lot about this around here...which forum would it fall under?

Ronin - I think this does have some creatures in a separate pdf, but this is feudal.  However, I don't mind just using the rules straight up as I've heard nothing but great things about them. I mean the types of videogames i'm looking to emulate here, the guns only shoot 2-3 slow bullets at a time. Heh. Bow and arrow rules work would fine. also, even if a model has sci-fi armour on it...it's not like armour actually helps any characters in these old video games...outside a few specialty bosses maybe.

I guess this is really just asking which of these rulesets would provide for a better quick playing 16-bit action game? Like these:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 12:58:01 AM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Cyber Ninja Setting...Which Rules?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 08:09:41 AM »
Fistful of Lead: Galactic Heroes would suit. Plenty of traits available to customise you gangs and the gameplay is very cinematic
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 10:55:59 AM »
Pulp Alley would work. Lots of possibilities to customize characters and creatures with various skills and perks.
Mooks can be dispatched with a single hit while tougher elite troops can be more resistant which emulates the escalation of enemy quality in a fighting video game.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 12:54:04 PM »
Yes, I'd go for Pulp Alley too: a great system for cinematic skirmish. Agree with Redmao's comments.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 06:56:03 PM »
Rogue Stars also seems like it might work for it. The system works rather well for things, only issue that I've seen with them is no vehicle rules...something that I don't see as being an issue with the Cyber Ninja stuff