Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:31:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690678
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What makes a good wargaming blog?  (Read 2518 times)

Offline ntdars

• Student
    • Union Gang
What makes a good wargaming blog?
« on: February 18, 2021, 10:12:46 PM »
Our group does a ton of hobbying, and decided to make a blog for our club just for kicks. What are somethings you look for when visiting hobby-focused blogs? It seems like the biggest factors are reviews, painting guides, after-action reports, , project logs, etc.

Here's the beginnings of our archive and as you can see, we're pretty excited to get started. Would love some feedback as well if anyone has it.

https://drawsteel.blogspot.com/
Our Maryland-based club's Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/uniongang

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
Re: What makes a good wargaming blog?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 10:27:50 PM »
It’s a technical thing rather than a content suggestion, but I much prefer when posts are organised by subject area, or there is some way of selecting keywords. The ones where the only way to navigate is by flicking through the pages or by choosing month by month are much less user friendly, given that I’d usually be looking for only posts on topics that interest me.
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline ntdars

• Student
    • Union Gang
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 11:45:54 PM »
It’s a technical thing rather than a content suggestion, but I much prefer when posts are organised by subject area, or there is some way of selecting keywords. The ones where the only way to navigate is by flicking through the pages or by choosing month by month are much less user friendly, given that I’d usually be looking for only posts on topics that interest me.

Thanks for the reply! We do tag our posts with topics (on the right side of the page) so you can easily scroll through that selected topic, unless there was something else you meant  :-X

Offline mmcv

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 12:28:16 AM »
Tagging and categorisation is great, definitely something I appreciate when I see it.

Probably the biggest thing is to have fun and let that show through the posts. As a hobby blog you very much want to show your enthusiasm and passions, so let that lead you and have fun. If other people enjoy what you post and find it interesting or useful all the better, but write about what you enjoy first and foremost.

Lots of pictures always help on posts, many people will just scroll through looking at the pictures and only stop to read the sections that look interesting.

For my blog I've found battle reports tend to draw interest along with army showcases, and rambles on issues all in the hobby encounter (like decisions over basing). I don't really do reviews (other than as part of play testing) or painting guides (I'm not a skilled enough painter) so can't speak to that.

Ultimately people will be drawn to what interests then in the hobby. What you've been doing so far seems good, though the subject matter covered so far doesn't really overlap with my interests yet.

Regardless, have fun and good luck!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 02:00:35 AM »
Thanks for the reply! We do tag our posts with topics (on the right side of the page) so you can easily scroll through that selected topic, unless there was something else you meant  :-X

It is what he meant but you are using tags too loosely. Does Blogger have categories as well as tags or just tags?

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 02:19:53 AM »
So the one thing that I really hate about blogger sites is when people don't break long posts using the 'Read More' element (or whatever it is called in Blogger).

The way that your blog is currently set up you need to scroll through the entirety of each post before you see the next on your main page. So if, for instance, I don't care about Pig Iron minis I would have scroll through the entire post before I see the next post.

Drives me batty. Especially if someone has an especially long post.

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 09:02:14 AM »

Apologies, I hadn’t actually spotted the link and seen your blog when I wrote that - yes you do have the topics 👍 That makes a big difference to me.

Other than that, the painting guide is nice.

One thing I would like to be able to find is comparative reviews of things like roads, buildings, trees etc.  I wanted to buy some roads lately and wanted to find someone who had reviewed several but couldn’t find anything. You could do ratings out of 5 for cost, durability, look on the table, etc. One issue I find is wargames magazines simply don’t give impartial reviews, and are never critical - I think because everyone’s in the business and the magazine editors are matey with most of the people in the industry. The figure reviews in things like Wargames Illustrated are so lacking, I find.

Also, up to date scale comparisons are good - I’m always searching for them and rarely find exactly what I want. That might deliver passing traffic who then follow. I’m not expert btw, just thinking about the content I struggle to find.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 06:16:00 PM »
I like it when they do an AAR or show figures. But please remember to state the rules are that you are using and more importantly where the figures come from.

Offline ntdars

• Student
    • Union Gang
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 07:21:16 PM »
Thank you for the replies all! :)

So the one thing that I really hate about blogger sites is when people don't break long posts using the 'Read More' element (or whatever it is called in Blogger).

The way that your blog is currently set up you need to scroll through the entirety of each post before you see the next on your main page. So if, for instance, I don't care about Pig Iron minis I would have scroll through the entire post before I see the next post.

Drives me batty. Especially if someone has an especially long post.

It looks like Blogger does have a function to make that not the case on Mobile, but I'm still trying to figure it out on Desktop. Like this you mean right?

One thing I would like to be able to find is comparative reviews of things like roads, buildings, trees etc.  I wanted to buy some roads lately and wanted to find someone who had reviewed several but couldn’t find anything. You could do ratings out of 5 for cost, durability, look on the table, etc. One issue I find is wargames magazines simply don’t give impartial reviews, and are never critical - I think because everyone’s in the business and the magazine editors are matey with most of the people in the industry. The figure reviews in things like Wargames Illustrated are so lacking, I find.

Also, up to date scale comparisons are good - I’m always searching for them and rarely find exactly what I want. That might deliver passing traffic who then follow. I’m not expert btw, just thinking about the content I struggle to find.

Yeah 100% agree on the the reviews - our group is definitely more black and white when it comes to mechanics we like in rulesets and our overall opinions of them (which might be a bad thing too), so we already have some rules reviews/read-through's planned as well. We're huge fans of the LittleWarsTV reviews if you've seen them on YouTube, but most likely won't do anything "scoring" like they do since I find that method not too definitive.

Terrain stuff too is already on the radar!

I like it when they do an AAR or show figures. But please remember to state the rules are that you are using and more importantly where the figures come from.

Absolutely, I'm excited to do our first AAR. I've seen some that are PAGES long but others that are more of a summarization without doing a turn-by-turn playthrough - I honestly don't know which I prefer.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 03:03:36 AM »
I love blogs so I am excited to see your club has started one.

Like someone stated above, I quite often go straight to the pics and then go back and read. One thing that throws me off AAR's is when all the pictures are from the same angle and distance; if you have a dozen or more form the same distance and angle it is visually boring. I want to see from above, ground level, pulled back and close-ups. When you are describing a whole wing falling back in disarray then a shot from above the table and pulled back may be appropriate. A key melee between 2 units in the centre of the table, a closer view would be better.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 03:30:49 AM »
It looks like Blogger does have a function to make that not the case on Mobile, but I'm still trying to figure it out on Desktop. Like this you mean right?

No. Its called a Jump Break in Blogger.

https://www.websitespot.com/blog/how-to-insert-read-more-html-code-into-your-blog/

I am not sure what your screenshot is showing but it might just be trimming the article size for mobile.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 07:27:32 AM »
Lots of interesting points in this thread. I have tried to improve my blog with some of the points raised but my biggest challenge is not really being very familiar with WordPress. Getting it to do exactly what I want, especially the “free version” has been difficult.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 09:08:28 AM »
Its [sic] called a Jump Break in Blogger.

Look for the "dash" symbol in the tools menu in the "Compose View" of the Blogger editor.  See attached image.

It's placement is crucial.  Ideally, you need an opening paragraph that explains what the post is about, a picture and a teaser, second paragraph that encourages readers to click the read more link.  This way the front page of the blog is both easy to scan and tempting if the reader's interest has been piqued.

https://blog.vexillia.me.uk/

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 08:38:17 PM »
I use my blog as a painting record and a location to host pictures that can be linked to forums like LAF, I do not do reviews much as I feel videos do a better job of that. I also like to add research and sometimes battle reports.

What attracts me is nice pictures and useful information.

Look for the "dash" symbol in the tools menu in the "Compose View" of the Blogger editor.  See attached image.

It's placement is crucial.  Ideally, you need an opening paragraph that explains what the post is about, a picture and a teaser, second paragraph that encourages readers to click the read more link.  This way the front page of the blog is both easy to scan and tempting if the reader's interest has been piqued.

https://blog.vexillia.me.uk/

Well you learn something everyday did not know that for blogger!

Cheers
Matt

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 09:33:07 PM »
The few blogs I follow are actually specifically about one project. For that reason I don't share others views here on the 'read more' subject - if the author has put a new post on his project blog, I am obviously going to be reading the whole thing!
However if it was a blog with multiple subjects and projects, some of which don't interest me, I imagine the 'read more' style would be appreciated.