Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:16:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686512
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Renedra/Perry Old West terrain  (Read 3621 times)

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
Renedra/Perry Old West terrain
« on: February 26, 2021, 08:22:59 PM »
I think I'm going to pull the trigger and buy the Renedra/Perry plastic Old West terrain, that being the church, general store, american house, ramshackle house and ramshackle barn. Maybe the adobe house too.

I'm wondering though, from those who have built them, is there any potential to kitbash some of these kits together to create different looks? Maybe a two-story house or change the shape of the general store for example?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Renedra/Perry Old West terrain
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 07:55:55 AM »
I’ve got a couple of these - and IIRC they share some parts already.

Making two story buildings would be hard, as the whole side is a single piece, so you would have to cut off the triangular part that supports the eves. Then you have door ways.

I’ve not finished these as models, yet I have finished a bunch of MDF buildings. I think for a couple of reasons, the plastic buildings are quite small compared to MDF ones, and while the outside is very detailed, the inside is a just a negative of that - so the chimney looks very odd.

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 05:54:29 PM »
Yeah I think I saw someone mod the chimney inside by using a chimeny from the general store, I think.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 08:23:24 PM »
I started making the inside of the chimney from blue foam.

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 01:09:58 AM »
Good points, the mdf kits are tend to have more playable interiors. I was looking at Sarissa Precision old west buildings, and while they are playable inside they also lack detail.

One thought I had was I could use the farm house, ramshackle house, ramshackle barn and the church for zombie apocalypse, post apocalypse in a rural setting.

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 02:26:43 PM »
I think Old West towns are about the only theme where the lasercut MDF buildings work stylistically. Everything else they look too flat and blocky with too straight lines and edges, but for the OW scenery, that works.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 08:27:32 PM »
I am working on the Perry's Store right now. Yes, it is basically the same kit as the North American House. I have also built their Ramshackle Barn and Medieval Cottage as well. I agree with Fred: kit bashing them to make 2 story buildings would be a bit tricky although you might be able to change the shape of the building (Silent Invader combined two Ramshackle Barns for his Not-So Merry England project; see the last post on this page.)  The styrene is thin and I think it would cut easily with simple scoring though there is no detail on the inside of the Perry kits except for the doors. It is a little odd as the doors are designed to be glued in such a way in that they can be opened and closed as you might expect of terrain to be used in a skirmish game yet there isn't any detail on the inside.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 01:26:53 AM »
I have a built the general store and I don’t think you could convert it well, although with some clapboard styrene maybe.  You could look into O scale Plasticville, they make several Wild West buildings and cabins at a good price.

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 02:13:42 PM »
I am working on the Perry's Store right now. Yes, it is basically the same kit as the North American House. I have also built their Ramshackle Barn and Medieval Cottage as well. I agree with Fred: kit bashing them to make 2 story buildings would be a bit tricky although you might be able to change the shape of the building (Silent Invader combined two Ramshackle Barns for his Not-So Merry England project; see the last post on this page.)  The styrene is thin and I think it would cut easily with simple scoring though there is no detail on the inside of the Perry kits except for the doors. It is a little odd as the doors are designed to be glued in such a way in that they can be opened and closed as you might expect of terrain to be used in a skirmish game yet there isn't any detail on the inside.

That's a great thread! I like what he's done with the GW Lake Town houses as well.

Offline terrement

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 04:03:27 PM »
Anyone considering kitbashing, you might want to search online for Model Railroad sites as it is a pretty standard thing on many layouts.  I know that Kalmbach has some decent books on it.  Don't have specific websites to recommend but given the extent and time span of Model Railroading as a hobby, I'd think there would have to be websites, blogs, YouTube videos and such.

Might not be a bad idea for those of us with strong Google Fu to look around and post either here or i a separate post links for the lot of us to use.  I'm happy to contribute.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 08:03:07 PM »
I don't know that I'd bother kit-bashing with the Perry stuff - their small house was one of the few Perry products I didn't find very worthwhile.  Just a pretty mediocre plastic kit.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 08:24:10 PM »
I'm a bit late to this thread but I converted one of the stores to a stables see here

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 05:47:26 PM »
I have all three (but only have photographs of the farmhouse which had sat, unloved on a shelf in undercoat, for a couple of years until the publication of 7ombieTV).

https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2012/01/cabin-in-woods.html

They are nice as obstructions, but not very playable.

I second the Sarissa alternative.

Though this is 40mm scale, it is very similar to the 28mm scale version.

WWX figures for scale.
https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2019/04/adobe-jail-sarissa-40mm-scale.html

I will get round to painting this one day.

Survivor Shack.

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 01:08:55 PM »
I'm a bit late to this thread but I converted one of the stores to a stables see here

That looks pretty cool, nice job!

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
    • My 'Dressing the Lines' blog
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 05:44:42 AM »
I've just made their ramshackle house, and am very pleased with it.  Same comments as above - it doesn't have any interior detail.  But in my view the brilliance of the exterior more than makes up for that!

Roly Hermans
Paraparaumu, New Zealand