Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:21:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Death in the Dark Continent", "Congo" or something else?  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
"Death in the Dark Continent", "Congo" or something else?
« on: February 28, 2021, 11:18:54 AM »
If someone ( ::)) were intending to paint a group of suitable 28mm figures for Darkest Africa which rule-set is most popular?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: "Death in the Dark Continent", "Congo" or something else?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 11:33:52 AM »
Honestly couldn't say, but they are very different games. DitDC is a big-ish battle game with figures on stands, where you field quite large armies to fight historical battles. Congo is a very different beast, with usually not much more than 20 figures a side, and is more of a fun action adventure game, not really designed for 'proper' wargames. It's more like Frostgrave, or something like that. Almost boardgame or RPG-like in its feel.

I think a fairer comparison would be Death in the Dark Continent and The Men Who Would Be Kings. Judging by the traffic on this board I would guess TMWWBK is more popular, but that might change with WI giving away the core rules of DitDC next month.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 11:39:45 AM »
Another Chris Peers rule set for Darkest Africa is 'In the Heart of Africa', which centres on the classic playground of DA: East Africa and the Congo basin. It is designed for fighting smaller encounters in this specific area (while I think Death has expanded out into a general African rules set).

It is pretty old, so I'm not all that sure about its availability these days. The earliest version was printed in WI many years ago, but the published edition was somewhat different, with the core rules being overhauled and a very comprehensive army list book being released.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 11:56:08 AM by Plynkes »

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 12:17:54 PM »
Had a lot of fun playing Congo  8)

Loathe Chris Peers rules with a vengeance; I'm sure he's a thoroughly decent chap and very knowledgeable about his subjects but I've never been able to remotely get on with his rules!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 02:04:01 PM »
Nothing stopping you playing any or all of them nor do I think basing ones choice of rules should be on whether they are popular or not. I have played all three but enjoyed Death in the Dark Continent most. Men who should be kings is quick and easy and requires perhaps less thought when putting on a game so easier perhaps when playin g against others.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 02:42:59 PM »
Thanks.   :)

Just for clarity, I don't game, just paint.  If I paint a group I like them to fit a game though.

Congo columns look interesting.  I need to double-check but I think I have the right mix for The Sultanate of Zanzibar

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 03:36:21 PM »
I would echo what’s been said. I have “Congo” and it is definitely a fun “beer and pretzels” game. I plan to buy “The Men Who Would be Kings” for my Maori wars and have heard good things of them.

My view of Chris Peer’s rules echoes earlier comment. I bought “Contemptible Little Armies” and found (a) I had to copy it and re-organise it into a more logical flow and (b) certain important aspects IMHO appeared to be missing. Also no QRF.

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 04:10:44 PM »
Thanks.   :)

Just for clarity, I don't game, just paint.  If I paint a group I like them to fit a game though.

Fair enough - Congo certainly has the advantage of small units - 4/5/6 figures which are quick to paint up

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 08:45:59 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Fair enough - Congo certainly has the advantage of small units - 4/5/6 figures which are quick to paint up

Congo columns look interesting.  I need to double-check but I think I have the right mix for The Sultanate of Zanzibar

I checked over the weekend and looks like just 3 figures short of a "set", so I'll probably go with that.  Added to my prep and prime queue.   ::)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 01:50:40 AM »
The Sword and the Flame, is perfectly suitable for any Darkest Africa adventure.  The 20th anniversary version actually includes a set called The Sword in Africa exactly for those sort of smaller adventure games.

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 02:26:12 AM »
I’m with Nick on this one, we play The Sword In Africa rules set which actually comes with the core 20th Anniversary Edition rules set. They are fun, fast, and furious.

http://www.sergeants3.com/prod_desc_TSATF20usa.html?sno=298

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 10:18:27 AM »
Congo is a great set of rules that has almost a role-playing feel. Death in the Dark Continent is more of a conventional wargame for Zulu War and Mahdist battles. You can use you Congo figures for DitDC if you get some 60x30 sabot bases with two 1” holes (Warbases do them)