Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:54:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686592
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wall paper for cobblestone basing (update 3/11/21 samples pg. 2)  (Read 2533 times)

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Hello all,

My group has taken up Mordheim again and I wanted to try and make some bases using embossed vinyl wall paper. I've searched LAF, as well as other sites and have seen tutorials and it looks like a great option.

The only problem I'm having is actually sourcing the correct type of wall paper! I'm in the States and I've had horrible luck. I've tried numerous web searches and haven't found anything. The local hardware store was lacking, so I may try a box store like Home Depot to see if I have any luck.

Does anybody have any go to suppliers, or suggestions?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 04:20:28 PM by bc99 »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Embossed or textured wall paper - for cobblestones
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 04:39:23 AM »
I remember sniffing around for the same thing a few years ago and I couldn't find appropriate wall paper in NA and shipping from Europe was astronomical. The best I could do was embossed sheet styrene (plastikard to our friends in the UK). Slaters Plastikard produces many different styles of embossed sheet styrene and Eileen's Emporium ships to NA. As far as I could tell Plastruct and Evergreen don't really have a suitable product for cobble stone or setts.

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 05:03:13 PM »
I remember sniffing around for the same thing a few years ago and I couldn't find appropriate wall paper in NA and shipping from Europe was astronomical. The best I could do was embossed sheet styrene (plastikard to our friends in the UK). Slaters Plastikard produces many different styles of embossed sheet styrene and Eileen's Emporium ships to NA. As far as I could tell Plastruct and Evergreen don't really have a suitable product for cobble stone or setts.

This or a basing stamp is the way to go. Wallpaper will get damaged and may discolour over time.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 05:13:42 PM »
Check out this video. He lists the wallpaper he uses and it’s very effective. Not sure if it’s availability outside if the UK.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jGU3BMW43MY&t=611s

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 05:43:42 PM »
Wallpaper is also a pain in the rear to use for basing minis, especially if they have any integral base on them because it tends to stand out quite a bit and it's hard to get the feet perfect for them. You also can't put the mini on the base before painting because you need to be extremely careful about the paint...I've had it start to peel/blister when using it for terrain unless I'm very careful with it as it is. It's still great for terrain work though, not for basing your minis.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 06:15:16 PM »
My preference is
Holden Decor Hadrian plain. It's also sold as Opus Hadrian plain.

It comes in three colours white, cream, and metallic silver each has a golden metallic fleck add. It's not an issue at all. The walls in the picture have just two colours washed over the cream paper and the gold fleck isn't visible.
The metallic paper takes a spray paint really well and the detail falls out with a light dry brush and or a wash.

For speed modeling.I normally just roll out about a metre and throw a couple of colours at it and let them do their own thing.  Thevonly thing I do is move a little paint if it pools too much in one place.
I then just cut it and glue in place.As with this castle for speed I use it on every surface .Then I just lighting peel off tge surface detal and throw a couple of washes on in place for plastered section( not yet done in the picture.) It sound wasteful . But I normally use the off cuts from the larger areas of wall.
Another really useful paper is Wood chip (fine or extra fine) this has a texture very similar too a medium texture water colour paper.
It ideal for rendering at speed.Joints are easily hidden by over wetting the join and blurring the paper into its self.
It's quite useful as a road and courtyard surface too.

The trick with card and paper/ wall paper is to seal the edge otherwise it delaminates from the surface and it's constituent layer.I normally rub a little superglue along the edge( smoothed out with a plastic bag over my fingers  ;) )

Doh'
Didn't follow the link to the video first.
It's the metallic Hadrian plain he's using for his board's  lol
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 06:25:46 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 09:46:02 PM »
All of these are great replies, thank you. I feel that the Vinyl will be a bit more durable than regular wall paper.

The suggestions are spot on, and ... all of the available stock appears to be in the UK. I have spent probably around an hour over the last two days trying to search up cobblestone style wall papers for the US and have had little luck.

I was able to find a double roll of Hadrian plain by Albany. It's a double roll and way more than I will require. I have requested a sample, though, which  may fill the bill.

I'll update when I find out this is going to work. Thank you all.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 12:56:23 AM »
Definitely get a sample first just in case it's not right for you.
Then I would definitely buy a role.As once you've done one project your bound at some point to want to use it for another project. Sod's law says it'll be discontinued when you decide to use it for another project .
That said I got this far with the castle using only a two foot piece. So a sample my just be enough depending on how generous a sample your given.

Definitely looks as if its the right paper the picture doesn't do it justice.

To be perfectly honest I've only managed to build the lower srction of the keep since last September .Since it's got an interior It's had to be worked on every now and then as we've had a string of short term placements which bounced us right up to the pandemic and home schooling. Only had couple of emergency placements during the pandemic. So I've very little motivation or spare time for this project. Since I had the good sence to paint all the paper the project requires in two batches before I started It's not an issue if it takes till this September. As I've not had need or opportunity to use it anyway. lol

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 03:52:16 AM »
That’s an amazing work of modeling and inspiring thank you. And you’re probably right, we’ll see how this works and see how big the samples are. I may as well go for it if the samples prove worthwhile.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 09:32:31 AM »
Probably not as cheap but Heki make embossed cobblestone sheets as well as very useful rolls for streets. Quite a fair length on each roll and a quick check of the interwebby shows that they definitely sell in the old Estados Unidos.

Try Euro Rail Hobbies.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 09:38:16 AM »
One further point.

The same wallpaper is available in The Range and you can usually pick up free samples which for most simple projects would be enough to satisfy most.

Tony

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 10:48:57 AM »
Cheers Tony,
I went to the Range in Hull at the end of the first lock down. (As it's where I originally got mine from.)The numpty on floor said it was a discontinued line.
As you mentioned its in your local Range I thought I check the website to get some delivered. It's been re branded As .
Pietra heavyweight textured Italian vinyl paper.
(I'll be generous and say its why he was clueless. Even though walking and breathing at the same time seem to be a cognitive challenge)
 Still it may be a name that's easier to find State side.

Mark.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 10:56:39 AM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 03:44:49 PM »
Try Euro Rail Hobbies.
Good call Carlos. A quick sniff around thier web store brought up this: link. Sadly out of stock at the moment but a single sheet would do a gang I think.

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 07:08:48 PM »
More great information, thank you. That Pietra stone looks spot on. Also, I found something called Slaters Plastikard, which is an embossed plastic sheet for modelling (probably railroads). I'm not familiar with the stuff but will check Amazon or other sellers.

https://bigamart.com/product/slaters-plastikard-0421-4mm-or-7mm-oo-o-gauge-random-stone-plastic-styrene-sheet/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_eOjxuiU7wIVIQV9Ch37qQYQEAQYASABEgJQRvD_BwE

I think the nomenclature may be the toughest part of the search. Broad searches turn up too much, and I think I've searched everything from "Textured wallpaper, embossed vinyl" to more specific such as the Pietra and Albany wall papers.

I've got a total of 4 samples in the mail and on the way, we'll see what they look like I'll make sure to post the follow up as I continue the search.