Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:39:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Finished Collecting and Painting...Play Only  (Read 3926 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Finished Collecting and Painting...Play Only
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 03:21:03 AM »
I would say reading this forum regularly would be VERY dangerous to your resolve to no longer collect new periods and pulled into "one more project..."  lol

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2021, 08:06:45 AM »
I’m almost at that point. Ran out of unpainted stuff recently and had to buy some more, but when the current list of 8 or so units is complete that will be me done. I will have enough! I have ancients, gladiators, dark age, crusades, ECW, 7YW, Napoleonics, Pirates, ACW, Wild West, Zulu War, WW2, Age of Sail, WW1 and 2 ships and WW1 and 2 aircraft.

hmm... your missing several large war periods/theatres of conflict of. Possibly some countries militaria as well

You should plan and start buying to fix/fill those gaps in your collection after those 8 or so units are half completed...and find some rules for them after..

Offline Vis Bellica

• Scientist
    • Vis Lardica
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 02:11:28 PM »
I find the two go hand-in-hand...and that there's always more figures to add to an army.

I paint less when I play more (just a matter of time) but there's always more to buy and paint. Who hasn't been through a book of army lists and constructed an imaginary army for every single list...

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 08:31:52 PM »
Has anyone painted up what they think they need to have for the various genres/eras/games that interest them and have called it a day on the collecting and painting side of the hobby and now just relax and enjoy games with the fruits of their labor? I'm wondering if I can get to that kind of point.  A few different factions for the genres that interest me so to keep things interesting and repayable, then just sit back and strictly play games when the opportunity arises. Maybe only buying some new rulesets to try with my completely painted collection.

So... anyone close to something like this? Would you even consider it?

But what then would I do with all that downtime between games? I used to be really into board games, but then I got tried of trying to keep track of what the hot new game was and learning new rules and trying to get people to play it with me when some other new hot game came out. So I got back into minis games through Blood Bowl, a game I knew the rules too but had enough different teams and every game played out so differently. Then I discovered I actually like painting minis. I find it relaxing and as another mention it gives me something to do that's not staring at a screen. I find converting and kitbashing minis a creative outlet and works my brain in different ways than I normally have to.

Also I find preparing for the next game to be fun. It gives a deadline to my collecting and painting. Maybe I'm weird but I find that more enjoyable than saying "yeah I already painted this 5 years ago, let's use them for this new thing"

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 01:57:02 AM »
I have purged a lot of my RPG rules and adventures the last few month as well as figures/terrain for games I never expect to play again (BFG, Infinity, WFB and 40K).  I might, maybe someday sell some of my painted stuff for a few armies I went a bit overboard on. While I am slowing down my acquisitions, I don't think I will stop buying new stuff for awhile still.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 09:36:40 AM »
Interestingly enough, I may have hit that point with one of my projects, namely ACW skirmish. I have more figures than I will ever need for skirmish games, no interest to go to the next level (brigade level) and I've struggled finding even more obscure stuff to paint. I very much enjoyed researching it, so I tried to find accompanying painting or building projects, but have become fatigued by it all by the end of last year. I continue playing, I enjoy the rules and the period, but I feel that on the painting side, I'm finished. Well, almost. After a break, I might take the project up again.

However, I like the painting and building aspect of the hobby, so I immediately started a new project!  lol

Offline RSDean

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2021, 10:33:56 AM »
Has anyone painted up what they think they need to have for the various genres/eras/games that interest them and have called it a day on the collecting and painting side of the hobby ...
So... anyone close to something like this? Would you even consider it?

It’s an interesting question.  Certainly I have had individual projects reach that point, but, so far, there has always been another project on the horizon.  As of right now, I CAN still paint, and I like to paint, so I don’t have any really interest in stopping painting.  I AM limited by storage, and in a table size (~4x6 max) that will fit in this house, though, and I have no interest in moving again, so the upper limit of what makes sense to collect is a lot nearer than it used to be.  I’m trying (with very limited success) to avoid starting new projects...(Like the one I started last week...)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2021, 10:34:43 AM »
I do have that hope in mind for some point in the future. After all, I don't want to one day be on my death bed and look over and see a bunch of unpainted figures ARRGGH.
To have the armies I wanted in a cabinet and be able to take them out and play with them when I like...that sounds a good goal.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2021, 10:55:53 AM »
I do have that hope in mind for some point in the future. After all, I don't want to one day be on my death bed and look over and see a bunch of unpainted figures ARRGGH.
To have the armies I wanted in a cabinet and be able to take them out and play with them when I like...that sounds a good goal.

forward planning and hopefully enough space that your bed is in a different room. although, actually sometimes wish I could fit a bed in the study..

But to have those armies, yes its a good target.

I do suspect on a darker note, that likely my passing will be in my chair, brush in hand cursing the poor timing of my demise and probably work to, for getting in the way of more interesting things.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2021, 10:58:31 AM »

Yes James it is a good aim, & you are getting closer to that, I know.
I too want to be able to look at shelves full of neat & completed forces,
such that I could put on a variety of games, at the drop of a hat.
Long way to go, but it is getting closer. The last 5 years have seen me divest myself of lots, buying less (Covid helped) & finishing more.

HOWEVER I will always want to have a new project on the horizon.
Must remember to keep it achievable within a reasonable length of time.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2021, 11:52:59 AM »

I'm looking forward to painting figures in the afterlife. Just need to remind my relatives to pack my brushes and paint in with the other grave goods. It would be really embarassing to turn up in Valhalla/A'aru with 1000 figures and no brushes :D

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2021, 04:12:12 PM »
I'm looking forward to painting figures in the afterlife. Just need to remind my relatives to pack my brushes and paint in with the other grave goods. It would be really embarrassing to turn up in Valhalla/A'aru with 1000 figures and no brushes :D

A good idea.  It would certainly make it easier on my wife.  lol

Offline FiatRevelli

• Student
    • 54mm Or Fight!
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 08:17:42 PM »
I really like this idea and thought I was on the path (not that my projects are done yet, but some collections are close). Then I discovered air and naval wargaming and suddenly there's a whole new world of collecting and painting opening up before me.

Someday though, I'd like to not have to paint anymore - I don't particularly enjoy it and it probably explains my growing interest in board wargames.

I think it would be great to be able to spend my hobby time reading and watching movies for scenario ideas and then play games based on those.