Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:38:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Setting Jhamjarhistan Ablaze!  (Read 30321 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: Setting Jhamjarhistan Ablaze!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2021, 03:57:11 PM »
Many thanks, Dr Bogo.

Whilst urgent preparations are afoot in Peshawar, the archaeological dig outside Djelibad continues apace. The girls of the Rumpole Scholars were excavating several kurgans, burial chambers dating back to the Iron Age and possibly containing remains of the Scythians of Central Asia, who were nomads and livestock herders.

A merciless sun beat down upon the covered heads of the students of Hilda Rumpole College, Oxford. Professor Hilary de Spongepants (Rumpole College’s Chair of Archaeology) was fussing over her ‘gels’. “My gels”, she declared “are the crème de la crème. Spotting Ophelia Bottomley-Throppet (daughter of the aforementioned Monty Bottomley-Throppet) stopping to mop her glowing brow (ladies do not perspire, they merely glow) she bustled over to ensure that Ophelia was fully buttoned-up. “Scorpions, you know darling, like to get in your unmentionables”, Hilary liked to warn her ‘gels’. Hilary had her favourites and was not afraid to show it. The other students had nicknamed Hilary’s favourite girls ‘the Spongepants Set’. Ophelia was in the Set, along with the Honourable Bunty Hamster-Crust, Araminta ‘Minty’ Creosote, Prunella Gusset-Monger, Philomena Uphill-Crumpet and Lady Camilla Marsupial-Trout.

Araminta ‘Minty’ Creosote, the Honourable Bunty Hamster-Crust, Professor Hilary de Spongepants (Rumpole College’s Chair of Archaeology), Ophelia Bottomley-Throppet and Lady Camilla Marsupial-Trout

Ophelia thought that being told to button-up was less to do with scorpions and more to do with the appreciative looks given to her and the other ‘gels, by the two amateur archaeologists and travelling adventurers who had joined them on the dig. Previously to their arrival the only male members of the dig (apart from the hired Jhamjarhistani labourers, of course) were Lord Gustavus Creosote and his valet, Biscuit-Barrel.

The new arrivals were Cecil de Leominster, his valet Stirrup and Baron Dietrich von Strepsil (© Doug ex-em4).

Cecil de Leominster and Baron Dietrich von Strepsil

For the back story of these two adventurers, we have to refer to the writings of D. M. D’Emfore himself. Taken from D’Emfore’s magnum opus, Travels in the Back Passage, D. M. reveals how these two legends originally met.

Cecil de Leominster was born in 1896 into an aristocratic (but somewhat impoverished) Borsetshire family and has drifted through life effortlessly. His background is classical English upper class – Eton, Oxford, a spell in the Guards. In between Oxford and the Guards, he served for a year in the 2nd Battalion, The West Borsetshire Foresters which he joined as a volunteer in 1915. Joining with him, indeed acting as his soldier-servant for a while was Stirrup, an employee of Cecil’s wealthy uncle Sir Rufus Pitt-Bulstrode, Squire of Much Rampling. Stirrup soon tired of his servant role and joined one of the rifle platoons where he served with distinction, becoming a sergeant. Cecil managed to get a transfer to the Guards after much behind-the-scenes influence was expended by Sir Rufus and also finished the war with an enviable service record.

After the war he was restless and unhappy in peace-time England and spent most of his time abroad where, surprisingly both for himself and his friends, he became fascinated by archaeology. He renewed his acquaintance with Stirrup when visiting his family back in England and soon became aware that his old servant and comrade-in-arms was as out of place in rural England as he was himself. Stirrup by this time had become Sir Rufus’ valet.  So, with the blessing of his uncle he offered Stirrup the job of valet which, given the nature of Cecil’s travel, was likely to offer as much adventure and variety as anyone could wish for.

Since then, Cecil and Stirrup have travelled widely in Asia, Africa and South America. Their adventures have been dangerous and rewarding.

Dietrich von Strepsil is the only son of a landed German family. Born in 1892, his upbringing was very typical of his class and time. His family estate in Upper Silesia was extensive and provided ample opportunity for a young nobleman to develop the skills and accomplishments that were expected of him. A spell in the army was a natural part of his education and he joined Ulanen-Regiment von Katzler Nr.2 at Gleiwitz in 1908. He served for 3 years, attaining the rank of Oberleutnant, then studied archaeology at the University of Greifswald until war broke out.

Rejoining his regiment upon the outbreak of war at his previous rank of Oberleutnant he served with distinction on the Eastern Front and was promoted to Rittmeister at the start of 1916. He was seriously wounded in 1917 and by the time he had made a complete recovery (except for a slight limp) the war was ended.

The post-war situation in Germany left him depressed and disgusted so, as soon as he could, he travelled overseas on a self-financed archaeological expedition.

It was while he was investigating reports of Macedonian artefacts in Anatolia that Cecil first encountered the young Baron von Strepsil. Initially, it was not a friendly encounter. Both were investigating the same reports of interesting finds and both had hired groups of local labour to assist them in excavations. Confrontations and minor scuffles broke out over disputes about use of sites, water supplies and other niggling issues. The atmosphere was not helped by the indisputable fact that the two rival expedition leaders had been wartime enemies. However, everything changed on the night that mountain brigands attacked water-parties from both expeditions, murdering three labourers. Von Strepsil and de Leominster are very different in many ways but when action is needed, particularly instant, violent action, they are as one. The brigands were put to flight, leaving several of their number on the field and from that night, von Strepsil and de Leominster have been the closest of friends and constant companions in all sorts of escapades and adventures. The fact that Dietrich only fought on the Eastern Front in the war went a long way to reconciling Cecil’s man, Stirrup, to the new friendship.

(With thanks for the permission, text in italics written by Doug ex-em4 aka D. M. D’Emfore)

To be continued...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:27:55 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2021, 05:23:32 PM »
You certainly bowled me a googly on this one, Old Sport - clipped one down to fine-leg while I was expecting a thin outside edge to the slips. Back of Beyond board....! This is an exotic setting for us rough types from the Pulp board - I love the curtains, incidentally.

Anyway, now I’ve crept through the secret door into this wondrous place and discovered you holding court here, I can settle down and enjoy the fun which is already of a very high order. Very high indeed....(and take good care of de Leominster and von Strepsil - they’re on loan; not transfer).

Doug
aka etc......

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2021, 09:58:06 PM »
Oh dear! Missed this,and I had knowledge afore thought.
Brilliant stuff,as always; lovely miniatures,brilliant storytelling,and wonderful terrain  :-*

Edit; Honeysuckle Weeks ;D  Dunsany Featherstone has a deep and abiding’thing’ for Ms. Weeks ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:06:25 PM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 09:56:20 AM »
Not only is Dunsany Featherstone a gentleman and a scholar, but also a man with exceedingly good taste! Pip, pip!

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2021, 10:03:37 AM »
You certainly bowled me a googly on this one, Old Sport - clipped one down to fine-leg while I was expecting a thin outside edge to the slips.

D. M. you grace us with your presence. Tried not to bowl you a jaffa with this one, but the man with the willow keeps shovelling it to cow corner.

and take good care of de Leominster and von Strepsil - they’re on loan; not transfer

Understood, will keep a straight axe in the blockhole.   ;)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 11:26:48 AM »
Not only is Dunsany Featherstone a gentleman and a scholar, but also a man with exceedingly good taste! Pip, pip!

She’s an absolute poppet and no mistake....

Understood, will keep a straight axe in the blockhole.   ;)

A bat would be more appropriate, even in Kashgar. Incidentally, slightly awkward question but any news on the box-share? I was going to borrow one of the Nawab's (they’re a perfect fit) but the old boy has returned from his recent visit to England with a nasty case of the Wigan Itch so one rather hesitates to share-and-share-alike at the moment, if you take my meaning.

aka etc....

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2021, 11:46:18 AM »
Extremely happy to see that the egregious threesome is intruding into Central Asia, particularly as Vaggers has been AWOL for too long. The Dogmeat General sends felicitations and veiled warnings concerning trespass in his AOR.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2021, 03:10:29 PM »
Extremely happy to see that the egregious threesome is intruding into Central Asia, particularly as Vaggers has been AWOL for too long. The Dogmeat General sends felicitations and veiled warnings concerning trespass in his AOR.

Snapforce, on behalf of the King-Emperor across the sea, extends the hand of friendship to the exalted one, his Excellency the Dogmeat General. Greetings, oh celestial being, may the Dragon of Goodness descend from the heavens and defecate on your rice paddies. We merely pass by your AOR in awe, leaving only footprints (or maybe tyre tracks) in our wake.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 03:15:21 PM »
Incidentally, slightly awkward question but any news on the box-share? I was going to borrow one of the Nawab's (they’re a perfect fit) but the old boy has returned from his recent visit to England with a nasty case of the Wigan Itch so one rather hesitates to share-and-share-alike at the moment, if you take my meaning.

Just to clarify and an appeal for help. D. M. D'Emfore has arrived in Peshawar avec pads but sans box. So far, Kenners, Snappers, Bovvers, Vaggers, Blowers, Aggers, Johnners and Tuffers feel themselves unable to help in D. M.'s appeal to box-share. After all, a chap's box is a chap's box, don't you know? Maybe a fellow LAF member feels he may be able to share a box with the great D. M. D'Emfore?

Sergeant Archibald Cutter, Sergeant 'Mac' MacChesney and Sergeant Thomas 'Tommy' Ballantine
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:28:34 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2021, 10:22:57 PM »
Bloody outstanding Snapcase!  What a great tale, and told brilliantly.  And thank you for the name check on The League.  We are all lying low at the moment due to this dashed plague thing. And I am marooned in New York, where at least the cocktail bars and jam clubs are still operating. But never fear, work is going on behind the scenes on a new adventure, 'Black Moon', coming in the next few months.  Stay safe and well Old Bean
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2021, 06:11:17 PM »
Fantastic stuff, Lord S!  Very inspirational, I'm looking forward to reading further dispatches from the field.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2021, 08:22:07 AM »
Many thanks, Will Bailie, working on the next instalment now.

Bloody outstanding Snapcase!  What a great tale, and told brilliantly.  And thank you for the name check on The League.  We are all lying low at the moment due to this dashed plague thing. And I am marooned in New York, where at least the cocktail bars and jam clubs are still operating. But never fear, work is going on behind the scenes on a new adventure, 'Black Moon', coming in the next few months.  Stay safe and well Old Bean

Thanks Ignatieff, as I said you and the League are a great inspiration. Sorry to hear you are marooned away from home. Good to hear that you can lay your hands on a sinew-stiffening cocktail though, top hole.

Very much looking forward to seeing what the 'Black Moon' is all about, great title. I have on the shelf behind me as I type, some old copies of The Illustrated Kashgar Sporting Pink. If there are any future issues planned, please add me to the subscription list, old stick. Chin up, straight bat to the wicket and all that tosh.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2021, 09:12:52 AM »
Some more players in the Great Game, assorted characters painted over the last couple of months for service in Jhamjarhistan.

Lev Davidovich Bronstein aka Leon Trotsky, TBA, the man from the Cheka, Marshal Gregorovitch Nokabolokov, TBA

Part of the foot column and mule train

TBA, a couple of ANZAC mule wranglers, TBA, the first of my Sikh troops (2nd Bn/11th Sikh Regiment, Ludhiana Sikhs)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:29:23 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2021, 09:20:01 AM »
Nice. Meant to ask, who makes Tuffers?
Cheers,
Poiter50

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2021, 09:47:50 AM »
Nice. Meant to ask, who makes Tuffers?

Tuffers is from ANZ10 ANZAC Battalion Command, Woodbine design, Gripping Beast.

https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/ANZ10_ANZAC_Battalion_Command_4--product--3954.html