Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:23:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Setting Jhamjarhistan Ablaze!  (Read 30958 times)

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
Re: Setting Jhamjarhistan Ablaze!
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2021, 02:05:37 AM »
You think this is HISTORY……!

Do you doubt it for one minute? One of the features of the Russian Civil War and associated bits is just how weird reality was.

Ungern-Shternburg is as mental as anything in Jhamjarhistan. The more I read about the outer fringes, the weirder it becomes.

The Whites did actually field some armoured tractors, so the tractor tachanka is well within bounds.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2021, 07:21:49 AM »
The Whites did actually field some armoured tractors, so the tractor tachanka is well within bounds.

Well, blow me down with a feather, I didn't know that. Thank you.

You are right, very much a time of the weird and crazy, which is what attracted me here in the first place! Consequently of course, it suits the Gentlemen of Much-Piddling down to the ground. Here is the Mission and Vision Statement of said Gentlemen:

The foibles, pettifogging, quirks, idiosyncranicities, waffling and hyperbole of four charming, sophisticated and erudite gentlemen of distinction, who rise above the hoi-polloi and riff-raff to bring a touch of style and class to wargaming.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2021, 07:34:03 AM »
ROTFPML

Well, blow me down with a feather, I didn't know that. Thank you.

You are right, very much a time of the weird and crazy, which is what attracted me here in the first place! Consequently of course, it suits the Gentlemen of Much-Piddling down to the ground. Here is the Mission and Vision Statement of said Gentlemen:

The foibles, pettifogging, quirks, idiosyncranicities, waffling and hyperbole of four charming, sophisticated and erudite gentlemen of distinction, who rise above the hoi-polloi and riff-raff to bring a touch of style and class to wargaming.
Cheers,
Poiter50

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2021, 05:31:15 PM »
ROTFPML

;)

Thanks, Mark Plant. I've found a photo now, cheers.

Offline WarlordFish

• Bookworm
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2021, 11:04:11 PM »
Those are Medium Mk A Whippets in the Tzars service my good sir, not armored tractors.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2021, 07:56:17 AM »
Those are Medium Mk A Whippets in the Tzars service my good sir, not armored tractors.

Many thanks for that, WarlordFish. It was the labelling on the Alamy site that I believed! Thanks for the correction.

A batch of armored tractors part of British aid to the White Army under General Denikin during the Russian Civil War - Image ID: B9403R

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2021, 10:36:39 PM »
I have photos, they are in the book Tanks of the Civil War (танки гражданской войны by армада)

Some of the text, and some pretty rubbish photos are at:  http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/WWII/tractor/bronetr0.php

Not all the tractors were as heavily armoured. Some were just tractors with sheets of metal stuck round.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 12:25:18 AM by Mark Plant »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2021, 08:03:27 AM »
I have photos, they are in the book Tanks of the Civil War (танки гражданской войны by армада)

Some of the text, and some pretty rubbish photos are at:  http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/WWII/tractor/bronetr0.php

Not all the tractors were as heavily armoured. Some were just tractors with sheets of metal stuck round.

Many thanks for the link, Mark. Very useful information there. I have found a few photos, mainly the captured Bullock-Lombard tractor, I think?

Maybe Trotsky needs another tractor in Jhamjarhistan!   ;)

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2021, 10:03:59 PM »
Yeah, those are the ones.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #189 on: August 26, 2021, 12:44:36 PM »
Snapcase has cobbled together an HQ Section for Snapforce. Various soldiers in transit at Peshawar have been seconded into this section. Part of HQ Section will contain the lead signals element and the rest, the heavy weapons element.

First in are Private Stan Laurel and Private Oliver Hardy under the redoubtable Sergeant Major Finlayson. They form the mortar crew and are seen here learning the ropes under the forbidding gaze of Major Hector McSnapcase (a distant cousin on the distaff side of the Snapcase family). All members of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, known to the rest of the British Army as the Agile and Bolton Wanderers!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 12:48:34 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #190 on: August 26, 2021, 05:49:28 PM »
Nice work on those Snappy!!  :-*

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #191 on: August 26, 2021, 08:03:59 PM »
Now you have my undying respect.  Not only great figures and backstory, you’ve name checked the genius that was Stan and Babe.  The Finlayson figure in particular is utterly correct.  This has really made my day!  Just superb.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #192 on: August 28, 2021, 11:56:54 AM »
Thanks, Bravo Six.

Now you have my undying respect.  Not only great figures and backstory, you’ve name checked the genius that was Stan and Babe.  The Finlayson figure in particular is utterly correct.  This has really made my day!  Just superb.

Thank you, my friend. I do love that 'Bonnie Scotland' movie. "Sandy" McLaurel and "Angus" McHardy! James Finlayson, superb!   :-*

« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 12:03:23 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #193 on: September 02, 2021, 02:32:29 AM »
Your threads are always enlightening as well as of course being hilarious.  :)
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2021, 12:15:53 PM »
Your threads are always enlightening as well as of course being hilarious.  :)

Many thanks, my friend!

Snappers left his office with something of a furtive air about him. He was about to indulge himself in his daily selfish pleasure session. During the afternoon heat, a lot of the base-wallahs were kipping on their charpoys and Snapcase felt this the best time of the day for his guilty secret. He was going to have a dekko at Genevieve! He was wont to give Genevieve a good buffing with plenty of elbow grease whenever he could find the time. As he bimbled in the heat of the Indian summer, he imagined himself polishing her silver-plated radiator, bringing a lovely sheen to her glossy black mud guards and running boards and finally, polishing that beautiful plum coloured bodywork to a fine finish. At Genevieve’s wheel, Snappers had won the annual London to Brighton Run in 1910. Genevieve had been delivered to Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling by none other than Charles Rolls himself, an old family friend. Charles popped in with the new automobile on his way to a flying display in Bournemouth.

Rounding the back of the cook house and heading towards his bungalow, he beheld a rather odd sight, at first thought, a mirage? Maybe one or two many pinks gins in the Mess?

There appeared to be a junkyard on wheels parked outside his bungalow! Not only that, but there appeared to be a performing troupe of grease-monkeys swarming all over said junkyard.

“What the devil…” he spluttered, lost for words. “It can’t be…”, but it was!

The transport-johnny at Peshawar, Aggers had as we have seen, been collecting any available vehicles for the beano to Jhamjarhistan. Snapcase had thought Genevieve a secret but Aggers had seen him sneaking off at odd times of the day and had discovered his secret. Under orders to collect every available vehicle from Kenwood-Chef, Aggers had put three of his Royal Army Service Corps (known to the rest of the Army as Run Away, Someone’s Coming) bods onto preparing the Snapcase Roller for it’s trip to Djelibad.

Accordingly, Driver Jerry Clarkson, who resembled nothing more than a large orangutan was hanging off the running board sighting his SMLE. The diminutive form of Driver Dickie Hammond was squeezed into the back seat, sandwiched between two oil drums clutching a Lewis gun almost as big as himself. Lance Corporal Jimmy May had bagged the front seat and the only attractive thing left about this dismaying spectacle was the driver, Flight Sergeant Fi Bruce of the WRAF.

Never had Snapcase felt that his flabber had been so gasted! Gone was lovingly polished glossy plum bodywork. Even his black running boards had been lavishly covered in sand coloured paint. Genevieve was a mess and there was nothing he could do about it. Back to the Mess for a few stiff ones, he thought with a heavy heart.

To be continued...