Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:47:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 691
Total: 696

Recent

Author Topic: A Stranger in a strange land  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Whitewolf

• Librarian
A Stranger in a strange land
« on: September 02, 2009, 04:30:06 PM »
Good Day Everyone,

I am thinking about taking the plunge in BOB. I am already painting some Chinese Bandits and will post pics when complete.   :)

Can someone recommend a quick and simple period overview (maybe as part of a rulebook)? Just something to whet my whistle. I realize the period is enormous but I'd like a simple start guide to begin.

Also, if there are any BOB/Pulp gamers in the Chicago area please feel free to contact me: danderson1964@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance,

Don

Offline Altius

• Bookworm
Re: A Stranger in a strange land
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 03:20:30 PM »
A really good book about the period is Setting the East Ablaze by Peter Hopkirk. It's a history of the struggle between the Soviets and the British to control Central Asia in the 1920s. It's got spies, Bolshevik armies, marauding bands of White Russians (including The Mad Baron's), Chinese warlords, the Kuomintang, bandits, the "Army of God", muslim separatists, the last charge of Enver Pasha - all sorts of bizarre, wild stuff that you only thought happened in the movies. The book will give you all sorts of ideas for scenarios, or even campaigns.

I don't know what rules you ultimately plan to use, but try to get your hands on a copy of Chris Peers' Back of Beyond: http://www.brigadegames.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=WRHL  It's a compilation of army lists for the BoB period. Some of the lists are based more on conjecture than historical fact, but they're still fun. It's meant to be used with the CLA rules, but you can use the lists to build a force using any rules you're happy with.

Offline Whitewolf

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 05:36:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I will get that book.  Regarding rules, I was considering Triumph and Tragedy but will also pick up those you mentioned as well as that sounds like a good reference for a newbie.

I was thiking about starting small with maybe four forces -- Bolshevic, Chinese, Bandit, and an Italian force (based on the wonderful Keys of the Kingdom action report). Maybe 20 figures each.  o_o

Offline Altius

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 09:20:40 PM »
I have not played the T & T rules, although I'm interested in trying them out. I've used CLA, which is a good, simple set of rules if you're just starting out. I also started using Red Actions, which you can download here for free*: http://perfectcaptain.50megs.com/redactions.html They are good rules, not what you'd expect from something that's free, and have a little more detail than CLA.

If you go with 20 figures for each faction, you'll probably have to expand them later on. I've got Bolsheviks, White Russians, and warlord Chinese, along with small numbers of British, American sailors and Chinese bandits. I have found that the armies don't get really fun until I have roughly 100 figures and maybe a couple of vehicles.

*Although a small donation would probably be appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:08:16 PM by Altius »

Offline Whitewolf

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 12:26:57 AM »
I am downloading the rules now -- thanks for the link! 

I would hope for my army sizes to increase in time, but since there apparently aren't a lot of BOB players here in the Chicago area, I will start with just a few figs per side and increase as necessary.

Thanks again for all the help!

Don

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 05:24:38 AM »
I am downloading the rules now -- thanks for the link! 

I would hope for my army sizes to increase in time, but since there apparently aren't a lot of BOB players here in the Chicago area, I will start with just a few figs per side and increase as necessary.

Thanks again for all the help!

Don

Don -

For the unit sizes you mention , T&T is probably best, as it doesn't require a lot of lead to get a decent game together. CLA can get quite large with some armies.

-Doc

Offline Whitewolf

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 12:38:57 PM »
Thanks for all the help Gents! Also, any BOB/Pulp gamers in the Chicago area please feel free to contact me.