Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:10:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691087
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A strange and distant land (my pulp terrain) Now with 70% more monsters  (Read 11462 times)

Offline BugPope

• Librarian
Been in love with Pulp Alley recently (I'm a sucker for a system that manages to be fast and simple without being broken and unfinished. It's not impossible if you just put some effort into it, despite what a certain someone claims), and it has reawakened my old love for the old Tarzan novels, The Phantom and other jungle adventurers.
Unfortunately I don't get to play that often, so I have plenty of time to build terrain. Everything is built from scratch from Styrofoam, thrift store finds, cheap ornaments and the like.

The round hut is a decoration from Ikea with some cloth, plaster, bamboo sticks, wire from some headphones and a base made from a pot coaster. The skull in skull mountain is a dollar store find, and the other hut is made from a cornucopia.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 01:19:01 PM by BugPope »
If you're convincing yourself that you're infallible, you can never improve.

Offline BugPope

• Librarian
Re: A strange and distant land (my pulp terrain)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 02:02:30 PM »
My current project: a tacky wooden statue found at a garage sale, turned ancient idol.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 02:04:04 PM »
That idol really looks the part: very nice!

Offline BugPope

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 02:08:46 PM »
That idol really looks the part: very nice!

Thank you. Going to every thrift store and garage sale I see pays off sometimes. And a simple mix of acrylic paint and fine sand works great for creating a stone texture.
I'm gonna add some weathering and jungle plants to it, to really make it pop.

Here's another statue, that used to be a cheap ornament and some wooden blocks.

The Chinese bandits are from Copplestone, the cat is from Reaper. Gotta fill up that last left-over slot in the roster somehow.

Offline BugPope

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 02:18:47 PM »
Anton Chevalier, gentleman adventurer, has a run in with a ferocious jungle monster.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 02:30:42 PM by BugPope »

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 04:18:51 PM »
Oh wow! Really liking your terrain. Can't wait to see it in action!

Been in love with Pulp Alley recently (I'm a sucker for a system that manages to be fast and simple without being broken and unfinished. It's not impossible if you just put some effort into it, despite what a certain someone claims), and it has reawakened my old love for the old Tarzan novels, The Phantom and other jungle adventurers.

We spent about 3 years playtesting Pulp Alley before it was released. That helped us find and fix a lot of things and make improvements.

Through the decades, I bought so many games that looked good but were a nightmare to play. So Pulp Alley is designed for the guys that really play - if you know what I mean.  ;)

HAVE FUN

Offline ojdota

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 02:13:28 PM »
Awesome terrain makes, me want to go to my local fish shop  :)

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 04:18:05 PM »
Awesome stuff! :o :-*

Particularly like the Incan looking statuette!

Thanks for giving me something else to look out for!! lol

Offline Avidwargamer

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 12:20:08 PM »
I like the Skull Mountain.    Was the whole thing complete at a dollar store or did you craft the mountain around a skull?  Either way, looks cool.

Offline BugPope

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 01:25:02 PM »
Through the decades, I bought so many games that looked good but were a nightmare to play. So Pulp Alley is designed for the guys that really play - if you know what I mean.  ;)

You're the first person on this forum who agrees that one making sure that the game is actually playable before selling it is a good idea. It's refreshing.

I like the Skull Mountain.    Was the whole thing complete at a dollar store or did you craft the mountain around a skull?  Either way, looks cool.

The plastic skull was just a cheap, hollow plastic thing. When I first saw it at the dollar store, my first though was "I gotta make a skull mountain". It's been sandwiched between two blocks of foam, and then I used plaster to blend it in.

Did some more work on the statue, such as more highlights, some washes (I always do some green wash when I paint statues and ruins) and of course a lot of vines. The best part about this thing is that it's probably one of my easiest terrain projects ever, but also the one that looks the best. Minimum work, maximum reward.

Also did some cover. One of the few things that I'm not super happy about in Pulp Alley (and there's not a lot of those) is that the terrain rules assume that all cover is linear and low, like a low wall or some crates. Which is simple, but becomes an issue if you want to have area cover, like woods, jungle etc. I'm working on some houserules for that, but I also wanted to make some "normal" cover that fit the theme.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:30:30 PM by BugPope »

Offline BugPope

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 10:33:46 PM »
World renowned adventurer Lady Fairwright finds herself in a sticky situation, stuck between a death slug and a rock monster. Luckily, she brought her entourage: Rose, her stalwart assistant/bodyguard, equally adept at the martial arts of the east and the "martial sciences" of the west.
Tommy Two-Guns, master gunman infamous for shooting first, shooting again and then maybe shooting a third time for good measure. And then maybe, just maybe, ask questions.
And of course good old Uncle Benny Fairwright, who wishes he'd stayed at the mansion.

Offline BugPope

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 11:14:01 PM »
Meanwhile, a bultungin (aka bouda or were-hyena) is performing an ancient ritual with the support of the local medicine men. He's a Reaper model, the others are Foundry.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 11:16:38 PM by BugPope »

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 07:07:24 AM »
Some great stuff here, lovely work!  :-*

Offline BugPope

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 12:11:34 AM »
Did some more jungles. Figured I needed some more ruins and logs.

Also got a biiiig box of goodies from Arcane Scenery yesterday, so big things are coming. Literally.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 08:10:40 PM »
Nice work there, they really look the business.  :)
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com