Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:29:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wings of Glory with my 6yo Son.  (Read 943 times)

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Wings of Glory with my 6yo Son.
« on: March 07, 2021, 07:42:53 PM »
Got my first two games in of 2021 today. My opponent was my 6yo son who had be expressing an increasing interest in wargaming. After returning from my 7 month deployment last month I was so impressed with how much he had grown that I thought it was time to try a more complex game. For this I chose one of my all time favorites, Wings of Glory (previously Wings of War). I chose the WW1 addition and for our first game each took command of a single nimble fighter. He quickly got a grasp of the basic rules and the use of the maneuvering deck. Victory went to me when his lucky damage draws ran out and he got the explosion card. He immediately asked for a second game using two aircraft each. He chose two German heavy fighters since he liked the idea of having rear gunners. I took a British heavy fighter and an Italian sea plane. I got the first kill which was shortly followed by his first kill. This left us both with a single heavy fighter which spent some time spiraling around each other trading shots. The damaged started to pile up on both our planes and with 3 HP left each we made our final pass. Trading shots, he drew a 1 damage while I drew the explosion. Game 2 was a victory for him and well deserved. I made it clear at the start that I was going to try and win and not go easy on him and he won fair and square. So excited that he has an interest, willingness, and ability to game with me now.
As always you can find more photos on my blog: https://wyndehurstproductions.blogspot.com/2021/03/first-game-of-2021-and-first-game-of.html

Game 1:

Game 2:

first casualty

second casualty

last draw

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Wings of Glory with my 6yo Son.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 01:05:37 AM »
Great to see the next generation getting involved. I enjoy wargaming with my 7 year old  - should give Wings of War a go.

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 05:54:05 PM »
@racm32, that’s the best post I’ve seen in ages! The bright smile of having fun with dad, it don’t get better than that bud! Enjoy every minute they let you have with them. I’m blessed sometimes with playing wargames with my two sons as well, they are 9 & 11 now. I hope to continue the tradition as I hope you can. Without this next gen getting involved.....

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 04:44:40 PM »
Good to see (and glad to hear your deployment went well.)  I recently picked up a second-hand Wings of Glory starter box and several aircraft from a friend, and have been contemplating some games with my #2 son, once I have learnt the rules!  He is also six - except that in his case, it's six foot, rather than six years (he's actually 21 now, but seems to have inherited my capacity to remain child-like when playing games!).

Happy days!
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 07:17:07 PM »
I hope both (or at least one) of my boys will grow up with an interest in the hobby. Would be nice to have a life long partner to game with and someone who will use my collection when I'm gone.