Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:11:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690991
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Plastic huns?(searching for small horses)  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Davies

• Librarian
Plastic huns?(searching for small horses)
« on: March 09, 2021, 07:43:18 PM »
I summon the knowledge of the forum about small sized horses. As one of my new projects is a Hun army, I am thinking about a cheaper way to add some bulk to the numbers. I have some Gripping Beast and Footsore characters, lovely minis, and maybe I could use plastic Arab cavalry and Fireforge Mongol riders with some conversions (which I highly enjoyed) for warriors. Problem here are the horses. Fireforge ones are nice, but huge, specially side by side with Gripping Beast and Footsore. I was thinking in Victrix Numidians or mounted Gauls, but I only have Victrix foot troops, and the comparison pictures of Victrix different cavalries frightens me (what it seems a small Numidian horse against a giant Imperial Roman o_o). Gaul chariot horses are just the size I am searching for. Does anybody knows how are they compared with the mounted Gauls, Numidians or Greeks?

Thanks in advance.

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
Re: Plastic huns?(searching for small horses)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 11:19:49 PM »
Part of the problem, that you have sort of identified is that the riders of one cavalry set will often not really work with the horses from another one. You might just have to accept that the horses from your main donor figures are not Hunnic ponies but work the best overall. I seem to remember reading that a large proportion of Hun armies that came West were actually formed of Germanic vassals and even Hun troops equipped similarly, so starting out with Gothic plastic cavalry might be most of the way there. Just add bowcases and a few eastern details and you're sorted...

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 07:15:10 AM »
The Victrix Numidian cavalry horses are relatively small compared to the other sets (which are huge) but the riders wouldn't be easy to convert to Huns.

There are some comparison shots on page 2 of this board.: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=123592.15

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 05:19:08 PM »
Part of the problem, that you have sort of identified is that the riders of one cavalry set will often not really work with the horses from another one. You might just have to accept that the horses from your main donor figures are not Hunnic ponies but work the best overall. I seem to remember reading that a large proportion of Hun armies that came West were actually formed of Germanic vassals and even Hun troops equipped similarly, so starting out with Gothic plastic cavalry might be most of the way there. Just add bowcases and a few eastern details and you're sorted...

Absolutely agree - the GB Arab sets have a few "hunnic" looking heads too, and their bodies also work - add the Gothic unarmoured & armoured cavalry, plus some "hunnic" heads, bowcases etc from the Fireforge Mongols and I think it should work well enough, especially if you are prepared to squint a little :-)     The GB Arabs have separate torsos and legs too, so you can mix them up with the Fireforge ones quite well. The GB Goths are one-piece torsos and legs, but even there you can swap arms and cut spear-holding hands off at the wrist and replace them with bow-holding hands for a more 'hunnic' mix of weapons.

I did some Generic Arabs recently mixing these sets (see https://www.madaxeman.com/main/28mm_Arab_Cavalry_1.php) and I reckon that as long as you don't have too many of the broad-beamed Fireforge Mongol horses you can get them to fit together on a base.  A Hunnic army will have many Light Cavalry anyway, so depending on your basing convention you may be able to use the wider horses on LH bases too.

Heres some of the more hunnic-looking heads on Arab and Gothic horses and bodies. The two on the left are both armoured Gothic noble bodes with bow-holding arms from other sets

Web: Madaxeman.com
On Twitter: twitter.com
On Facebook:  facebook.com
Devon holiday?: The Captains Cottage Brixham