Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:59:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Star Wars droid size comparison question  (Read 1145 times)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
Star Wars droid size comparison question
« on: March 10, 2021, 01:50:30 PM »
Does anyone know how the new Legion B1 Droids, B2 Super Battle Droids and Droidekas (Destroyer Droids) compare size wise with the old WOTC Star Wars Miniatures?

I'm assuming there will be a size difference, but want to know how noticeable it is.

Offline Mark

• Librarian
Re: Star Wars droid size comparison question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 02:09:10 PM »
Couldn't do you a comparison as I don't have any WOTC, but I suspect the Legion figures will tower over them. I have the Legion stuff and they are all massive - probably 40mm tall for the B1s.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 03:35:34 PM »
All my SW minis are WotC too. And because Boba Fett is so ridiculously expensive in that range (in all iterations) by now, I opted to get the Imperial Assault one.

And there is a definite difference, even in that range. The IA minis are decidedly more heroic, but do not tower over the WotC ones.

The Legion minis however, are both heroically proportioned, and scaled up, so those are indeed giants next to their WotC brethren.

Then again; when you take (relatively) scale neutral miniatures, like for instance Battledroids or Probedroids, they can work alongside each other. So; no human(oid) miniatures, but larger ones like Banthas,  Wookies, or some droids will work. Although no astromechs or protocol droids, as those dimensions are too well known.

I was way too late in picking up WotC Battledroids, and missed the time when they were dirt cheap. And now that I would like a few units as op-for, they're either impossible to get hold of, or ridiculously expensive.

So when I do get around to realizing that force, I will probably go the Legion route too, as for a Droid army, the size is much less of an issue (to my eye, at least). Unless of course I will have finally put in the time to get my resin printer working, and I print off an army's worth myself... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 04:26:20 PM »
The irony is my WOTC Darth Vader towers over my IA Stormtroopers and really looks the part!

Like you, I left it too late in picking up the various WOTC Battledroids. I get dribs and drabs off ebay, but outside of the US, they are hard to find.

I did think of getting them 3d printed, but so far, the printers I've approached haven't got back to me.  :-[

Offline Mark

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 07:42:35 PM »
Have you tried Proteus 3d Modelling? They do prints of Darkfire Designs and Skullforge Studios and one of them definitely has battle droids. Perhaps they could print at the appropriate scale?