Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:54:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fictional rescue game set-up (game now posted)  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Richard B.

• Assistant
Fictional rescue game set-up (game now posted)
« on: March 11, 2021, 04:44:56 PM »
Operation Big Stick!

This is fictional game, based very loosely on the marine landing at Tangier scene in the movie Wind and the Lion. I am taking great liberties with forces and armament, so please don`t get offended.   

Background
The year is 1916, American journalist and adventuress Mrs Emelia Andersson has been kidnapped by the infamous Brigand/pirate El Rougi!!

Mrs Andersson was cruising the African coast writing yet another of her famous world travel guides, when a storm forced her yacht "The Wild Woman" ashore on the coast of what would years later become Spanish Sahara. The area is barren and inhospitable and also occupied by various rather wild Arab/Berber clans who are happy to fight against each other as well as the Spanish Colonial authorities, who are weak and have little or no control.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your viewpoint, Mr Andersson and her party were quickly located and taken to the palace of a local chieftain El Rougi, a man of huge reputation and legend. El Rougi has set a ransom of 100,000 gold Spanish crowns for the prisoners safe return!!   

Now President Wilson already has political problems at home, Pancho Villa crossed the border and attacked Columbus New Mexico on March 9th and Wilson has been forced to send General Pershing and an expeditionary force after the famous Mexican bandit chief! The war in Europe shows no signs of abating and American looks more and more as if she will be forced to take sides too. An now Mrs Andersson`s capture has added to the bad headlines!!
Wilson remembers Roosevelt`s actions back in 1902 when the businessman Ion Perdicaris was taken by the brigand Raisulli. The world situation is similar, Pres. Wilson cannot afford America to be shown as weak in the eyes of the world press in such troubled times.
So he has decided to launch a rescue mission code named "Big Stick".

El Rougi
A local Caid, old and wily lives in palace inland from the sea port of Amoraldi on the Atlantic coast.
The port was a Roman settlement and dates back to the first century BC. It features a good sheltered dock with stone wharfs and a modern (1860) lighthouse in a bay protected from the Atlantic by high cliffs topped by the ruins of old fortifications.

Spanish/British and French intelligences all believe El Rougi has a standing "army" equivalent to a couple of companies which includes some horsed cavalry and maybe the odd piece of ordinance.

The table

Operation Big Stick US landing force
Capt Hardy (9th Infantry)
Carried in 2 landing barges & the coast gunboat "Heston"
The Heston and landing barges

Provisional Battalion 9th Infantry
HQ – OC + staff (aboard the Heston)

2 infantry companies each with –
HQ 2 officers & 2 NCOs
30 men inc a 2-man BAR team (2 platoons of "B" company aboard the Heston)

Support company with –
Colt MMG 4 men + mule
Vickers-Maxim 2.75" howitzer with 5 men + 2 mules
Provisional motorcycle platoon with: M/C combination with MG, 2 x M/Cs (5 men)

The Heston
6" gun, 1 MMG
Naval Landing party
2 x 10fig platoons (rifle armed)

Bashir’s forces
Harbour defences
2 rifle platoons (10 men each)
Gatling gun & crew
70mm cannon plus crew

Town defenders
2 units of local militia (poor quality) 10 men each
1 regular rifle platoon (10 men)

Palace defenders
1 regular platoon (10 men)

A regular cavalry troop (10 men w/sabre & carbine)

Le Rougi plus wives and hostage

Mrs Andersson you are a great deal of trouble

Berber Bodyguard (10 men plus MMG)

German military mission
Colonel Eric von Stran, Capt. Hines & 5 men

Potential reinforcements (after turn 15)
Dice once every 5 turns, forces arrive on a role of 6+ on 2D6

1-4 Arab native cavalry (10-20 mounted natives armed with rifles/swords)

5 pirate vessel with 10 + 1D6 Arab pirates
6 armed pirate vessel (as above + a 37mm trench gun)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 06:04:04 PM by Richard B. »

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Re: Fictional rescue game set-up
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 05:20:39 PM »
Great stuff, Old Chap, a ripping yarn in the offing, what! 

Do any Berbers speak with a Scottish accent?

Many years ago after watching "the Wind and the Lion" I found this impressive site
http://www.warflag.com/shadow/

« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 05:23:30 PM by dadlamassu »
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Richard B.

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 05:30:03 PM »
Great stuff, Old Chap, a ripping yarn in the offing, what! 

Do any Berbers speak with a Scottish accent?

Many years ago after watching "the Wind and the Lion" I found this impressive site
http://www.warflag.com/shadow/

Across my tabletop they do  lol lol lol lol

That is a great site  :)

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 07:07:56 PM »
Interesting and original stuff, thanks for posting!  :)
I like the table, and the small ships!

Actually if the US had wanted to interfere in Morocco after 1912 they would probably have run into problems with France (or with Spain in the Rif, northern Morocco) ...but that should not prevent you from having a good Pulpish scenario, attack when these colonial powers are looking away!

(Not willing to highjack the thread in any way, but for inspiration) some years ago I posted a few pictures I had found on the web about this period:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=53332.msg628832#msg628832
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=46965.msg591283#msg591283

An also my own unfinished attempt at a Casablanca city gate... although later I've never used it for a Morocco colonial game, but for 1880's Sudan, and for fantasy. lol
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=60426.msg722903#msg722903

Offline Richard B.

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 08:15:40 PM »
Interesting and original stuff, thanks for posting!  :)
I like the table, and the small ships!

Actually if the US had wanted to interfere in Morocco after 1912 they would probably have run into problems with France (or with Spain in the Rif, northern Morocco) ...but that should not prevent you from having a good Pulpish scenario, attack when these colonial powers are looking away!

(Not willing to highjack the thread in any way, but for inspiration) some years ago I posted a few pictures I had found on the web about this period:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=53332.msg628832#msg628832
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=46965.msg591283#msg591283

An also my own unfinished attempt at a Casablanca city gate... although later I've never used it for a Morocco colonial game, but for 1880's Sudan, and for fantasy. lol
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=60426.msg722903#msg722903

Thanks you, I`ve written quite extensively about the area and period and read 40+ books

France was buried in WW1 by 1916, she had withdrawn quite large portions of her overseas forces to fight the Boche and would have been quite happy for he Yanks to intercede if this had been a real incident :) As for the Spanish, you will note I`ve set the incident in what would eventually become Spanish Sahara at the very southern end of what we now call Morocco - so i`ve covered that too :)

Offline mikos khan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 02:41:16 AM »
I like the scenario, sounds like it would make a really fun game.  How did it play out. BTW who makes the dhow?   

Offline Richard B.

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 08:48:02 AM »
I like the scenario, sounds like it would make a really fun game.  How did it play out. BTW who makes the dhow?

The game is not run yet (busy life) hopefully next week

The dhow is a resin cast model with a white metal mast and resin sail, it comes from a British company Sgt`s Mess -
https://sgtsmess.co.uk/

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 05:56:03 PM »
Thanks you, I`ve written quite extensively about the area and period and read 40+ books

Oops, another occasion where I should have stayed mute. :)

I'll follow your project with much interest!

And, um, if before disembarking, your troops happen to meet a small Moroccan coastguard gunship commanded by French officers (under Moroccan flag) called the Marrakchi, please don't sink it – my great-grandfather is aboard at this time. :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 06:18:36 PM by Patrice »

Offline Richard B.

• Assistant
Re: Fictional rescue game set-up (game now posted)
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 06:05:16 PM »
Operation Big Stick!

The game

Some minor changes from the initial set-up, I allowed El Rougi (advised by His German advisor) to build some beach defences. I rationalised that the US Atlantic Fleet would be pretty big and hard to hide, so El Rougi would have plenty of warning of what was happening and prepare.

The dock and the nasty surprise of the Gatling gun inside

The Heston and the barges hove into view

Turn 3 the concealed 70mm fires on The Heston as it approaches the dock, it misses and is spotted.

Turn 4 the gun fires again (misses again), The Heston gunners nail the gun!

The first barge beaches, "A" platoon, 1st company (A/1 hereafter) are immediately engaged by defenders, who inflict casualties, but find the American shooting is very accurate in return. The Provisional motorcycle platoon prepares to disembark.

Turn 5 The Heston arrives at the dock, A/1 fight to clear their beach, B/1 follow and pitch in, the M/C platoon drives off the barge. The cannon platoon preps its mules to disembark.

Turn 6 the first troops disembark The Heston (C/1) they immediately come under fire from defenders. The Heston wipes out one position with its deck gun!

The second barge beaches and its men pour ashore into the teeth of defenders fire.

Turn 7
A/1 on the left clears their beach

On the right B&C/2 storm and clear the defences at bayonet point

In the centre troops and sailors pile off The Heston, the Gatling gun opens up causing casualties

All the firing has alerted the locals and the fedayeen begin to organise.

The M/C platoon advances down the left

Turn 8
El Rougi`s regulars rush towards the dock - into a world of hurt!

The Heston`s deck gun blasts the dock office and wipes out the Gatling gun and crew!

The US navy sailors rush ashore to secure the dock area.

The Fedyeen charge forward against the infidel invaders, but The Americans have nearly 3 platoons and a Benet-Mercie LMG waiting for them - the result was predictably very bad

El Rougi`s regular cavalry form up

Turn 9
Amazingly the rest of the Fedayeen don`t break and run after their mates are slaughtered, a solid morale check allows them to take up defensive positions within the village market.

The M/C platoon reaches the road and sweeps in towards El Rougi`s palace.

Turn 10
The Americans deploy their Colt MMG, then it and the Benet-Mercie LMG poured fire at the Fedayeen, The Heston deck gun adds its weight also.

El Rougi`s cavalry move out

Turn 11
The Fedayeen break and run

El Rougi`s cavalry arrive at the road, the M/C platoon LMG opens fire into their flank causing casualties (and a morale check)

Turn 12
El Rougi`s cavalry blow their morale check and flee!!

Colonel Eric von Stran tries to negotiate with El Rougi

Turn 13
The M/C platoon comes under fire from Arab machine gun, they deploy and return fire. El Rougi`s bodyguard rush forward also.

The various American platoons move through the village

Turn 14
The Americans deploy their 2.95" Vickers-Maxim

A armed pirate ship arrives

Turn 15-16
The American 2.95" pops off a couple of rounds at El Rougi`s palace! This is enough to convince the Sheik the jig was well and truly up, he hands over Mrs andersson to Col. von Stran and legs it out of the back gate.....
The pirate vessel is less lucky

Col. von Stran hands over Mrs Andersson to the victorious Americans

Offline mikos khan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 07:16:49 PM »
Looks like a fun game.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 07:31:00 PM »
Splendid stuff!  Good story worthy of a Stanley Kubrick Movie!

A lovely variety of units and background.

Offline Richard B.

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2021, 07:32:40 PM »
Cheers guys comments much appreciated  :)