Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:19:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690650
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Another Wolf Bites the Dust (Gamma Wolves / DUST)  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Another Wolf Bites the Dust (Gamma Wolves / DUST)
« on: March 13, 2021, 01:55:26 PM »
New project for Gamma Wolves using DUST mercenary and axis miniatures. The arms of the frames are interchangeable and I also modified two 40k laser canons to fit onto the mechs.

Three medium mechs, four light mechs, an objective and a lone infantry model:

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Another Wolf Bites the Dust (Gamma Wolves / DUST)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 02:01:55 PM »
Playing them as Ronin seems most fitting. And I’m already on my way for more miniatures than I need for Gamma Wolves (which I consider a good thing).

Black Wolf One: FLAMINGO

The DUST mercenary Pink Flamingo model. Magda on foot can be seen in the group shot above. After clear coat the flamer under the cabin will added. As already mentioned the Lay-out can be changed by switching arms).

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 02:05:37 PM »
Black Wolf Two: TINBOX

DUST mercenary wrecker with a switch of pilots. The pilot is probably my favourite of the lot but did not come out that well on the photo. I also added a little stowage. I have a second wrecker still to be done that will feature an open cabin.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 02:10:01 PM »
Black Wolf Four: DUMDUM

A DUST mercenary meatgrinder. The AT guns can be exchanged for more MMGs and one of the pilots for a mortar (which only really makes sense for DUST). The gunner is from the wrecker above. Again with added stowage.

There is also one of the DUST axis heavy grenadiers that I use as light frames for Gamma Wolves. Two of them got female heads from Brother Vinni that might be a bit on the small side but look rather nice.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 07:51:19 AM »
They look awesome!

How they will survive the toxic setting outside of a sealed and self-contained environment is a separate question. :D

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 03:14:31 PM »
Rule of cool!  That is how!   lol

Great models and nice painting. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 06:44:43 PM »
In this case, rule of drool.

Offline palaeomerus

• Scientist
  • " We've Got Movement!"
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 01:04:34 AM »
They look awesome!

How they will survive the toxic setting outside of a sealed and self-contained environment is a separate question. :D

They survive the same way the dinosaurs survived, by confining their operations to a huge South American plateau in the Amazon basin.

It's fine until Ash Barker says its not canon.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 01:55:26 AM »
LOL guys, of course I wasn’t being serious. Everyone is free to model as they wish, modify or replace the setting elements as they wish, and all this customizability is a feature rather than a flaw.

But for those readers unfamiliar with Gamma Wolves, it is true that as part of the game mechanics and setting, frames are environmentally sealed as a general rule. The seal can be broken in the course of taking damage, exposing pilots to the so-called “Soup” — an environment so potently toxic that the pilot immediately starts taking wounds as a result.

UNLESS, of course, they happen to be an engineered transhuman from the Burg. Those guys have been crafted to withstand the toxicity of the Soup at the expense of, perhaps, a normal human lifespan. This also doesn’t affect Tiamat frames, as they are pilotless (in the sense of being run by an AI).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 02:01:56 AM by Manchu »

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 02:54:42 PM »
They look awesome!

Joke, get it, but if he's playing them as Ronin there's no reason they couldn't all originally have been from the Burg, and therefore geneered v2.0 humans that can stroll around in the post-apoc hellscape without batting an eye.  Mechanically I suppose they'd still be Ronin without that perk, but you could probably swap the Ronin "have unlimited Aces" rule for "Humanity 2.0" while still using the Ronin force limits and not harm game balance any.

Burg's special rule is by far the most useless in the whole book anyway.  Swapping it on to other factions isn't going to make anyone call cheese.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 05:31:54 PM »
I don’t think swapping the special rules would hurt game balance; the faction rules seem less geared toward balance and more to inspiring players when building a force.

On that note, the thing about Burg’s list is the limited lifespan thing comes up as a limit of Rookie and Veteran pilots that is exceeded on both counts by the Ronin list — so there’s another potential opportunity for fleshing out the unit background.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 08:28:26 PM »
I don’t think swapping the special rules would hurt game balance; the faction rules seem less geared toward balance and more to inspiring players when building a force.

On that note, the thing about Burg’s list is the limited lifespan thing comes up as a limit of Rookie and Veteran pilots that is exceeded on both counts by the Ronin list — so there’s another potential opportunity for fleshing out the unit background.

Maybe they went Ronin when a Freeport offered them a means of life-extension?  Still being relatively young might also explain why they aren't a force with the usual 2-3 aces a Ronin crew has.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 08:48:43 PM »
Good stuff, like the name  ;)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 09:15:51 PM »
Thanks guys, glad you like them and so many of you know Gamma Wolves!

As to how they survive I’ll go with rule of cool. Or it’s a region that is not so toxic. Or the crew chief simply doesn’t care  8)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 09:29:13 PM »
Makes me want to look at some Dust minis......