Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:33:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690780
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Palm Sander makes great Paint Mixer  (Read 3447 times)

Online pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
Re: Palm Sander makes great Paint Mixer
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 07:53:35 PM »
62 Euro, that is fucking outrageous for a little plastic box with some gears and a battery motor!

That's kind of what I was saying.  I was about to spend £45 on something I wasn't sure would work while something I had in front of me works great.  For free!

It may not be elegant but the results are pleasing.
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 08:01:47 PM »
Mine was about £22 with postage from China. I was pleasantly surprised to find they’d included a UK power adapter too which was unexpected. I’m guna keep going with it and see how I get on.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 09:01:21 PM »
62 Euro, that is fucking outrageous for a little plastic box with some gears and a battery motor!
The nail polish ones are cheaper and are the exact same things. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2021, 09:02:43 PM »
Mine was about £22 with postage from China. I was pleasantly surprised to find they’d included a UK power adapter too which was unexpected. I’m guna keep going with it and see how I get on.

Good man. Gotta linky?

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 09:08:04 PM »
Yeh the vortex one on the last page.
You have to hold the paint tho so might not be what you are after.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 09:47:39 PM »
I pressed the order button for a U.K. supplied one a week or so ago (unnamed / 'white box' type) and have used it on four bottles of paint with mixed results:

Army Painter white - currently like sludge but slight improvement
Army Painter red - normally clear liquid comes out first but now good coverage
Vallejo blue (no idea the actual number) - similar to the red but now great coverage
Flesh (AP I think) - better but it's taken a good three to four minutes to see any improvement

All bottles have agitator balls in them (a mix of rusty eBay and decent Army Painter ones).  Oddly the rust does not seem to bother the paint after a year or so (not proud on that saving) and two balls do not seem any better than one.

My paints are anything from six months to four years old and so far it's a reasonable win for me.  Not the panacea YouTube shows but it will cover its cost over buying / trying paints.

Biggest drawback was the cheap 'euro' adapter and two pin mains block.  Risked it once while I was next to it (and excited to try it) then dug up a decent 12V 3Amp adapter from my 'spares'.  I see the eBay link now states EU adapter :-)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 09:49:22 PM by AndrewBeasley »

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2021, 08:01:35 PM »
Has anyone tried any of the higher priced  vortex mixers that you see on Amazon for £99 and upwards? Although you still need to hold the bottle perhaps more expense = more speed and better results? Just wondering

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2021, 08:05:28 PM »
Artis Opus makes one specifically for model paint. I read a review of it a year or two ago but don’t remember the details. I think the link was in the Fauxhammer newsletter, but it shouldn’t be difficult to find.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2021, 12:38:15 PM »
Can confirm that the palm sander works for me as I tried it yesterday whilst painting figures, but it's use has raised some issues:

Army painter paints with less than half a bottle left now seem to have too much pigment in and need more thinning, consequently I used too thick a paint initially then once thinned to go on smoothly they are very translucent.

I put this down to me using them poorly shaken for a while leaving less medium than there should be, and an excess of pigments that have lived in the bottom of the bottle undisturbed for a year or two.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2021, 02:02:39 PM »
"I use a jigsaw with a taped blade and bottles held on with a spring clamp.
Works great!"

I also use a jigsaw with a screw clamp attachment which does a great job of mixing up mi paints - even Army Painter acrylics.

Tony

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2021, 09:49:06 AM »
Just an update, mine has seen limited use since I bought it. It has improved the consistency of some of my paints, tho know to the level that I had hoped. However the main lip has already started to deform. With that in mind I am requesting a refund from Amazon.

Offline fusilierdan

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2021, 02:17:39 AM »
Pauld, thanks for the suggestion. I tried three local Beauty supply stores and couldn't fins a mixer. But I didn't need to I had a new belt sander in the box right next to my paint table.  :-*

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2021, 04:28:17 PM »
I hold the paint bottle on the back knob of my scroll saw.  It bounces, so it has the same result.  Works on acrylics and spray paint cans.

I'll have the try the sander, that sounds like another promising idea.
- Scott