Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:15:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Palm Sander makes great Paint Mixer  (Read 3381 times)

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
Palm Sander makes great Paint Mixer
« on: March 18, 2021, 11:16:10 AM »
I was about to push the button and buy a £45 vortex paint mixer and over on the shelf opposite me was a cheap Wilko Palm Sander I had been using a while back - I wonder?

Works great.  You need to press the bottle/dropper into a cloth or sponge held on the plate and whizz away for a few seconds.

Tried it with really old paint separated into medium and sludge and it revived those and works a treat on Vallejo.

Cheap and effective if a little noisy.  Neighbours must think I'm a DIY maniac now as I went through all my paints last night.

I would suggest if you have one hanging around give it a try.

No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Palm Sander makes great Paint Mixer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 02:05:35 PM »
This kind of thing?

If so, how are holding it? Sander in one hand, holding the paint pot against it with the other?

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 03:07:18 PM »
That's the thing.

Hold upside down on thigh (without the sandpaper on)
Put a wad of folded sponge or cloth on top
Press bottle bottom/side/top (whatever you fancy) against cloth
Switch on
After a few seconds stop switch off
Open paint/squeeze drop of paint and see lovely creamy smooth paint  :o
Repeat

Saves an awful lot of vigorous hand shaking.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 04:49:10 PM »
I’ve just take receipt of a vortex mixer today and so far I’m not very impressed. Guna have a play with it tonight but so far I haven’t seen much difference.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 04:53:46 PM »
I certainly see the use for a automatic paint shaker, but  I would be looking for something you could put or strap a jar or drop bottle into, and just leave it there for a minute without being held or rattling all over the place.  Is there such a beast?

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 05:05:47 PM »
A US company called Robart makes a Hobby Paint Shaker which sounds like it meets your requirements. There are battery- and mains-powered models. The mains-powered machine might not be usable outside of North America.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 05:26:06 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 05:10:21 PM »
I certainly see the use for a automatic paint shaker, but  I would be looking for something you could put or strap a jar or drop bottle into, and just leave it there for a minute without being held or rattling all over the place.  Is there such a beast?
This is the one that I brought with me from the states. 

It works as you are describing.  It does work well but over here needs a transformer to run.  Just takes a min or two. 
A company called Robert makes a Hobby Paint Shaker which sounds like it meets your requirements. There are battery- and mains-powered models. As they’re based in the US however the mains-powered machine might not be usable elsewhere.
Snap
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 05:23:53 PM »

It works as you are describing.  It does work well but over here needs a transformer to run.  Just takes a min or two.  Snap

There are lots of nail polish shakers available in that style. It should be easy to find one that doesn’t require an adapter.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 05:30:40 PM »
That’s the gizmo (Robert was a typo). I’m insufficiently versed in electronics  - i.e. not at all - to know anything about transformers, but as long as they’re safe then that should work fine. I’ve seen the battery-powered nail varnish shakers on eBay but given their cheapness would be suspicious of their reliability in the longer term.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 05:53:56 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline McYellowbelly

• Mad Scientist
    • Terrain Monkey blog
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 06:23:41 PM »
I use a jigsaw with a taped blade and bottles held on with a spring clamp.
Works great!
You don't scare me lady, I've been drinking with skeletons080918083132.png

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 06:25:58 PM »
Heman779t Vortex Mixer, Mini Vortex Mixer Suitable For Laboratories, Nail Studios, Painters, Tattooists And Hobbyists https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08Y6TG17N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_G48ZNSCT5TBFCAGEYHTR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I just got. Didn’t seem to make too much difference but will continue to test it.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 06:28:31 PM »
Heman779t Vortex Mixer, Mini Vortex Mixer Suitable For Laboratories, Nail Studios, Painters, Tattooists And Hobbyists https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08Y6TG17N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_G48ZNSCT5TBFCAGEYHTR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I just got. Didn’t seem to make too much difference but will continue to test it.

Those vortex machines still require that you hold the bottle while it is being agitated, right?

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 06:30:07 PM »

I have one similar to that, and it works great.  I had to run older bottles for a minute or so, and occasionally flip them over.  But the paints are much more consistent now than they used to be.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 06:30:42 PM »
Those vortex machines still require that you hold the bottle while it is being agitated, right?

This style, yes.  You have to press the bottle down into the cup slightly to get the machine to turn on.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 06:31:56 PM »

It works as you are describing.  It does work well but over here needs a transformer to run.  Just takes a min or two.  Snap

62 Euro, that is fucking outrageous for a little plastic box with some gears and a battery motor!