Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:45:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle Report: Blucher- Prussians vs French  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Battle Report: Blucher- Prussians vs French
« on: March 22, 2021, 01:21:25 PM »

I know nothing about the Napoleonic Wars.  If it wasn't in a Sharpe book then I really know nothing about it!  However, as a Wargamer it is the 600 pound gorilla in the room.  I have always had some interest in the big battles, the tactics, the pageantry and the big hats!  However, that has easily been countered by the historical details, the many rule sets, basing, and the lack of a Nappie mentor. 
Therefore, to help me get a feel for the world of Nappies, I bought the Blucher and 100 Days game late in 2018, and played in early 2019.  I really liked the ability to use cards instead of models, and it gave me a high level introduction to the period without getting bogged down in the minutiae of it.  Plus, the rule set itself was very user friendly and gave a good balanced game.  Therefore, I broke it out again for some more gaming this year as a palette cleanser and to do something completely different.

Prussian forces are maneuvering to try and enter France and bring the war "home" to their enemies.  However, French commanders have been alerted and have moved 3 Corps to intercept them.  The two forces meet and a battle is fought near the border.   

Forces:

Since I know nothing about the period, I decided to go completely "ahistorical" for our outing today.  I took the cards from the 100 Days box for the Prussians and the French.  I shuffled them, and I drew 18 cards for each army, 6 into each Corp. 

Prussians

1st Corp

Foot artillery
Landwehr Cavalry
4th Silesian Landwehr
Infantry regiment #11
2nd Elbe Landwehr
Foot artillery
2nd Corp
Infantry Regiment #15
Horse Artillery
Infantry Regiment #9
2nd Silesian Landwehr
1st Pommern Landwehr
Heavy Artillery
 3rd Corp
Heavy Artillery
Infantry Regiment #29
Infantry Regiment #27
1st Silesian Landwehr
Infantry Regiment #14
3rd Kurmark Landwehr           
An infantry heavy force with a decent amount of artillery support.  A mixed bag of units for sure.  The Third Corp seems like the Prussian heavy hitter.....

French

1st Corp

1/12 Rome
2/11 Logarde
2/Grenadiers
2/7 Piat
2/9 Jamin
Heavy artillery
2nd Corp
1/10 Grengoult
2/10 Dupeyroux
Maurin Light Cavalry
1/1 Quiot
1/4 Pegot
2/2/ Aulard
3rd Corp
4 Soult Light Cavalry
1/19 Bellair
1/14 Hulot
2/8 Corsin
1/ Chassuers- Old Guard
Heavy Artillery

The French came with plenty of line infantry as well!  However, it looks like the French have the cavalry advantage, even if it is only one unit. 

I am not using any personality cards for this game.

Mission

Both armies have 2 Objectives placed on the field.  This will just be a straight up battle with both forces trying to break each other OR secure their objectives behind their enemy lines. 

Set-up

The board is a 6 foot by 4 foot board.  The French and the Prussians both have some heights on their side of the board.  The French are on the West, and the Prussians are on the East.  There is a small pond and swampy region on the northern side of the center line of the board.  Other than that, there was very little terrain of interest.   

One interesting thing in Blucher is that both sides set-up using blinds!  You place the cards face down, and they are not revealed unless they shoot, or move into view.  Therefore, when we look at the board we see 18 cards per side with their national flag on the back. 

The Prussians have the 3rd Corp deployed on their right, then the 2nd and the 1st is on their left.  The French have the 2nd on their right, then the 1st in the center, and 3rd Corp on their left. 

You can read the rest of the battle and the results on my blog.....

https://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2021/03/battle-report-blucher-prussians-vs.html
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Battle Report: Blucher- Prussians vs French
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 02:54:53 PM »
Hi, I too have strange relationship with Napoleonics and likewise bought Boucher. I planned to go with figures but would you recommend the card set? I’ve seen it on various websites but no very little about it.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 03:33:15 PM »
I have appreciated the cards for two reasons....

1. Gives me an understanding of what is even available for a Nappie army/organization and build to it

2. Allows me to play while I actually figure out what I am going to be doing painting wise

I found them affordable, but I used the "official" campaign supplement for the 100 Days.  I am unsure how the Print-and-Play cards look or feel in comparison.  The ones in the 100 Days are nice, glossy, and high quality.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 03:52:48 PM »
Very interesting and an enjoyable read too.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 03:53:31 PM »
Unfortunately the 100 Days set is out of print. The Peninsular War set is still available. I’m not sure what is available in POD or P & P form.

I haven’t played yet but as I understand it the cards are essential as they show all the unit data. They are placed face down initially as shown in the photos, for fog of war purposes, and are turned face up when within a certain distance from the enemy, as described above. At this point they can be replaced by miniatures if the player wishes to use / has them. This seems a very appropriate mechanism for grand tactical games.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 04:52:44 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 03:25:45 PM »
I know nothing about the Napoleonic Wars.  If it wasn't in a Sharpe book then I really know nothing about it! 

No offence intended to you - in fact, it's nice that you gone to the trouble of taking on the 600lb gorilla in the room - but given the quality and "historical accuracy" of the Sharpe books, you could have read every one of them and still known nothing about the Napoleonic Wars!  The best description I have heard of them (and I have indeed read them all!) is "Rambo in funny clothes".
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:28:13 PM by Baron von Wreckedoften »
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 03:39:19 PM »
Well, that’s....controversial. I’ll say no more on this, having read none of the  Sharpe books, though I have read and enjoyed some of Mr Cornwell’s other books, including the NF one on Waterloo.  Sharpe’s coming back, BTW.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 05:02:49 PM »
Sharpe's Nursing Home?

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 06:07:00 PM »
All I know is the title: Sharpe’s Assassin, and the publication date: 30/09/2021. Signed copies available for pre-order now.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 07:12:58 PM »
No offence intended to you - in fact, it's nice that you gone to the trouble of taking on the 600lb gorilla in the room - but given the quality and "historical accuracy" of the Sharpe books, you could have read every one of them and still known nothing about the Napoleonic Wars!  The best description I have heard of them (and I have indeed read them all!) is "Rambo in funny clothes".

Of course.  That's why it is called Historical Fiction and not Historical Non-Fiction.

When I start reading the Non-Fiction through, my brain gets all hurty!  lol

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 09:11:15 PM »
Sharpe's Nursing Home?

Sharpe's Afterlife, wherein the late Obadiah Hakeswill torments our hero in the next world.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/