Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:18:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Strange Aeons, one quick question  (Read 6156 times)

Offline number9

• Librarian
    • breadandwargames
Strange Aeons, one quick question
« on: September 04, 2009, 03:12:22 PM »
Played my first two games last night, a monster hunt and a fight scenario. Fun times! We only had one question when it came to AP values of weapons against models with "armor".

The base Threshold list of 15 total BP went up against a Formless Thing in the monster hunt scenario. This turned out to be a pretty rough customer for them as they didn't really have the right tools for the job (no dynamite, no machine gun, no shotguns)  lol Serves them right to some extent, but it got us wondering about AP. As it reads to me in the book, if I have a constitution of 6/8, and I am being hit by a weapon with an AP1, my constitution is still effectively 8. The AP value of the weapon isn't high enough to penetrate my armor. If I am hit by a weapon of AP2 then my constitution is effectively 6 as the AP value *is* high enough to penetrate the armor. Since the poor investigators would have to roll 6's to cause a single wound with their .45s and bolt action rifles or get some consistent critical hits in close combat to even have a chance to hurt me, we disregarded this interpretation. We allowed the AP value to drop the total armored constitution by a number of points equal to its value. AP1 made the Formless Thing's constitution 7 and the engagement felt far more balanced

Does AP value *always* modify constitution, or only when it is equal to the amount of armor? If the latter, dynamite, shotguns, and/or cavalry sabres seem pretty much "must-haves" for at least one of your investigators from the beginning.  :D

That issue aside, there is a lot of love in my club for the elegant simplicity of the system. Easy to learn, entertaining to execute, couldn't ask for better when it comes to a beer and pretzels evening of gaming. Thanks!

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
Re: Strange Aeons, one quick question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 05:09:48 PM »
Agent Number 9,

The way you chose to play it is correct. Could be worded a little better in the book (pg. 46 AP)
Example: Let's say you shoot and hit a Formless Thing with your .45. To wound you would have to roll a '6' as the .45 has no AP value therefore the Formless Thing is Con. 8.
Now, you shoot and hit again, but this time with a Bolt-action Rifle. The rifle has an AP1 so that removes a point of the Formless Thing's Armour, reducing the Thing's Con. to 7. So you would only need a '5' with that weapon.
Seriously thou Agent, you should requesition your team at least a Tommygun for some of those bigger Lurkers. Meat Cleavers should also be concidered for personal protection. You don't need to equip them to everyone but some combat roles should be assighned to various operatives...if you plan on staying alive.

Good luck Agent. 

May you prevail, in the name of God and the taxpayers!

Glad you guys like the game...be sure to check the official website next month (Roctober!) for a slew of new models, new rules, contests and such stuff...

Offline number9

• Librarian
    • breadandwargames
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 05:33:37 PM »
Thanks, that is what we felt made the most sense and I'm glad to know it was the intention all along. Orders for new equipment are being filled out as we speak and will be sent along to Threshold HQ in triplicate before the next foray.

I'll keep a lookout on the site as well.  8)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 09:08:14 PM »
Did I smell contests?
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 10:45:05 PM »
OK, I'll use this this topic for my random SA/UM questions.

1) How big is the diorama base? I didn't spot any dimensions or scale bits. Those would be welcome in all items whose size isn't 100% obvious.

2) Does it ship in lettermail?

3) Why is HPL (the miniature) so tall? He's about 32mm to the eyes or 34mm overall, making him pretty much the first incompatible mini in my varied collection. In one biography he was listed as 5' 10¾" (1.80 m), which is slightly over the average of those times, yet not a full head taller. Surely he was a huge literary figure, but that's not the same as literally huge a figure...or something...

4) Any hints of the rumoured 'big stuff' in October? I'll probably order few bits some day soon. Now I don't know if I should postpone it until next month.  :?

All information appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 11:46:40 PM »
3) Why is HPL (the miniature) so tall? He's about 32mm to the eyes or 34mm overall, making him pretty much the first incompatible mini in my varied collection. In one biography he was listed as 5' 10¾" (1.80 m), which is slightly over the average of those times, yet not a full head taller. Surely he was a huge literary figure, but that's not the same as literally huge a figure...or something...

One thing that needs to be taken into account is this: how many other figures do you possess that stand in such an erect pose as good ole HPL's? Now personally for me, scale creep and whatnot has never been a problem and in my collection HPL does stand a tad taller than other figures of mine but simply because of his stature where as all my other characters tend to have knees bent and all those other "action" poses. It makes sense to me, but I don't know what all kinds of figures you yourself use.

My two cents anyhoo. :)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 01:15:47 AM »
Hey Dolmot,

Here goes...
1.) The Diorama base is just under 4" diameter (3 15/16) I'm assuming you want the one with the pentagram on it...everyone does!  ;)
2.) No idea...probably not...I think it's just a hair too tall (1")
3.) No idea...I was so happy to get him cast up and painted I never really noticed. Sorry you feel he is too big. Short answer: literally huge figure of a huge literary figure.  ;)
4.) I hate to give out hints but just so you know we aren't pulling your leg...There will be a scenery/modelling contest and new game rules that will tie in. (don't worry you won't have to buy anything!) But you will want to buy stuff when you see the great 'Roctober-only' figure...I don't dare say more...the suprise must be maintained.

Uncle Mike

Also, Bako...you said 'erect'!  lol ;)

Offline number9

• Librarian
    • breadandwargames
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 03:13:10 PM »
Now that everything "Strange Aeons" has been consolidated into one sub-forum, I have another question:

What happened to the Twisted Fate Deck?

Nothing breeds insanity amongst war-gamers more than capricious events beyond their control!

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 05:58:44 PM »
Also, Bako...you said 'erect'!  lol ;)

*salutes*

That is carrect, sar! Thank you sar!

Offline Breten

• Librarian
    • Calgary Gaming Forum
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 06:41:22 PM »
The Twisted Fate deck is something special.  At GenCon if you spent $100 at Games Plus or Fantization (on our products) you got a Twisted Fate Deck.

I also handed a few out.  The ones we currently have printed will be prize support and the like.  We figured weèd let people play the game for a little bit, then throw the deck out.

We havenèt decided if it will be a regular release or stay as prize support or something similar.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 07:17:04 PM »
I find them irregularly horrendously devious and annoying to play with, but in a good sense. ;)

Offline loki

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 08:25:07 PM »
So it will not be very easy here in Europe to get hold of a Fate Deck :'(

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 08:40:48 PM »
loki,

i feel your pain, no chance in the UK either,

regards

jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 08:41:10 PM »
With any luck they may be available around X-mas...in a limited number as a sort of festive goodie.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 09:31:12 PM »
3.) No idea...I was so happy to get him cast up and painted I never really noticed. Sorry you feel he is too big. Short answer: literally huge figure of a huge literary figure.  ;)

Well, depends on how you define "too big". I took a quick and rough scale pic of my "just undercoated" pile:

They're all in fairly ere...upright poses. 1st and 5th are Metal Magic, 2nd and 4th Artizan. Old Grenadier and RAFM stuff tends to be even smaller.

Usually I'm not too picky about scale issues. Many sculptors are so fond of their dollies and 28mm sticks that their lines don't have as much variation as real human population. That's why mixing can actually improve the overall effect. This particular case is exceptional because:

1) There's a lot of old 25mm stuff in the CoC pool so the main trend is downwards from 28mm.
2) As you can see, he's considerably taller than modern 28mm minis.
3) Ironically, HPL is the only character in my whole collection whose real height we do know.

So that's why it looks odd and I asked if there's a reason for it. Anyway, it won't stop me from painting him. In games he'll just be a noticeably tall Arkhamite who bears an uncanny resemblance to an author from Providence.