Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:34:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690718
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Minis for 7-8th century Anglo-Saxons?  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
28mm Minis for 7-8th century Anglo-Saxons?
« on: March 26, 2021, 02:13:32 PM »
Looking around most ranges of Anglo Saxons seem to be aimed at " Age of Arthur" 4-5th century or latter Viking age/ Anglo Danish. If one wanted to recreate Anglo Saxons for the wars of Penda, Ine and Offa what range of 28mm miniatures would be a good place to start?

Any help gratefully received.

Andrew_McGuire

Re: 28mm Minis for 7-8th century Anglo-Saxons?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 02:29:01 PM »
North Star used to sell a range of Saxon warriors based on art from this intermediate period, though I don’t recall the manufacturer, so don’t know whether it’s still available. I’m sure Nick can update you on this.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 04:13:15 PM »
Andrew, I think the range you are thinking of are Tanatus Miniatures. Unfortunately Northstar no longer seem to stock them. The Gripping Beast Saxons come in two variants, small buckler or “large” shield. I think the “large” shield figures may be OK for 7th century.

Apart from these I know of no other suitable figures.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 04:28:32 PM »
Yes that’s the name. I remember looking at them several times but never got around to buying them, with the obvious consequences.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 06:35:55 PM »
Though it pains me to say it, Black Tree design have a great range that is spot on but, I would advise anyone to refrain from ordering from them as they have had a terrible track record over the years.

One read through of this thread ought to tell you all you need to know:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=112741.0

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 08:17:33 PM »
Eureka do a range of Beowulf and his retinue. It’s not huge but the retinue itself includes static and action poses for each member. There are also other potentially useful figures in the broader range. Exquisite sculpts.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 08:21:09 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.

The Tanatus were very handsome looking miniatures though from what I could see on the net they didn't really match any one else's miniatures with their proportions.

I wouldn't touch black tree designs with someone else's pole so they are a no go.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 08:25:14 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.

The Tanatus were very handsome looking miniatures though from what I could see on the net they didn't really match any one else's miniatures with their proportions.

They are quite slender.

I wouldn't touch black tree designs with someone else's pole so they are a no go.

Me neither which is why I pointed out that they were not to be trusted.

It might be worth checking eBay etc to see if you can pick some up second hand. They are perfect for the 7-8th CE.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 08:26:02 PM »
Eureka do a range of Beowulf and his retinue. It’s not huge but the retinue itself includes static and action poses for each member. There are also other potentially useful figures in the broader range. Exquisite sculpts.

Yes I was looking at those earlier some of the Great Thegan's look a little fanciful but Beowulf's bodyguard look nice the certainly have the Sutton Hoo look going on.

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 09:19:22 PM »
Footsore Early Saxons should also suit, although I notice that there is not the option for large shields.  Large shields can be bought separately.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 09:37:03 PM »
Footsore Early Saxons should also suit, although I notice that there is not the option for large shields.  Large shields can be bought separately.

I bought quite a few and requested that they be supplied with large shields and Footsore were very accommodating. Very cool guys.  8)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 03:30:15 AM »
Though it pains me to say it, Black Tree design have a great range that is spot on but, I would advise anyone to refrain from ordering from them as they have had a terrible track record over the years.

One read through of this thread ought to tell you all you need to know:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=112741.0

It's funny, I have seen a lot written about the bad service.  I have made three orders through them over the years and had no problems and neither has a friend of mine.  Possibly service may be a bit hit and miss.  I would say they are worth a punt.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 05:29:22 AM »
I've just had a look at Black Tree and would agree that some figures look suitable. However IMHO they seem to mix 6/7th century figures with later styles in the same pack. Not an ideal situation. When I looked last night they were also on "special offer"  but that may be ending.

Offline Hincmar

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2021, 07:22:24 AM »

I have a bunch of the Tanatus Saxons (and the Picts, which complement the Saxons as unarmoured Fyrd as well as for their primary purpose of being their adversaries).   It is very sad that the range was never expanded and is no longer available, as they are perfect for the period, being based on the Aberlemno Stone, I believe), and the sculpting is exquisite.   If I remember correctly, Roy Eastland the sculptor deliberately sculpted them in a slender style to match the GW LOTR range.   I'm using mine for mid-Third Century Middle Earth gaming (Fall of Arnor) as they don't really fit any other the other (bulkier) historical ranges of the period.   The closest in scale are the Arthurian ranges by Newline and Foundry.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2021, 09:03:57 AM »
t is very sad that the range was never expanded and is no longer available

I had no idea that the range was no longer available. Might it not be the case that due to Covid and the restrictions on casting at NS that the range might have merely been discontinued for a while?

I've just had a look at Black Tree and would agree that some figures look suitable. However IMHO they seem to mix 6/7th century figures with later styles in the same pack. Not an ideal situation. When I looked last night they were also on "special offer"  but that may be ending.

Hi SJWi. I think the "Special Offer" is a ruse to entice people to part with their money. They may or may not get their order; but if so, that usually takes a very long time. Often more then a year.

It's funny, I have seen a lot written about the bad service.  I have made three orders through them over the years and had no problems and neither has a friend of mine.  Possibly service may be a bit hit and miss.  I would say they are worth a punt.

You're definitely in a small minority. They have been up to their "funny business" since the days of The WAB Forum so I'm guessing there have been consistent complaints for over 15 years. Perhaps longer.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 09:08:10 AM by Atheling »