Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:09:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 7th - 8th century Anglo Saxons  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Rochejaquelein

• Bookworm
7th - 8th century Anglo Saxons
« on: August 29, 2023, 01:58:49 AM »
After what seems like forever, I finally have another batch of miniatures to show.

More pictures here (including why I chose this comparatively obscure time period)
https://filsdupoitou.blogspot.com/2023/08/7th-8th-century-anglo-saxons-lesser-fyrd.html

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: 7th - 8th century Anglo Saxons
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 10:46:33 AM »
Congratulations on your batch of nicely painted Anglo Saxons.

Can I humbly suggest that the use of the term Fyrd is not appropriate for 7th - 8thc Anglo Saxons as that is from a later period.  I believe the Fyrd was created in response to Viking raids from the 9thc onwards. 

I will also suggest that if you can get your hands on the old WAB Age Of Arthur book, it is a fabulous primer for wargaming the period, even if you aren't going to use WAB.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 04:32:38 PM »
Good job on those! I like the colour palette you used.

Offline Rochejaquelein

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 10:56:43 PM »
@Ragnar, I figured that fyrd is a bit anachronistic, but I wasn't entirely sure what I should call them. Lesser thegns? Kotsetlas? My army is essentially 1 unit of skirmishers (slingers), 2 units of light infantry (unarmored shieldwall), 1 unit of heavy infantry (mailed shieldwall), and 1 unit of elite infantry (the kings personal bodyguard)

@Pattus Thanks! I originally thought that it would be too colorful, but once I applied a watered down wash I liked the result.

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 09:52:25 AM »
@Ragnar, I figured that fyrd is a bit anachronistic, but I wasn't entirely sure what I should call them. Lesser thegns? Kotsetlas? My army is essentially 1 unit of skirmishers (slingers), 2 units of light infantry (unarmored shieldwall), 1 unit of heavy infantry (mailed shieldwall), and 1 unit of elite infantry (the kings personal bodyguard)

FWIW, Age Of Arthur has Thegns as leaders, not troops.  The Gedriht are the lord's bodyguard and Duguth are the second best class.  Hope that helps.

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 01:59:53 PM »
Frankly, it's all a bit confusing!

In the 6th-7th century, the office of the king was the dryhten (war-lord) or hlaford (loaf- or landlord). Cyning (king) really just meant 'of the kin', so a member of the royal line. The æşeling (aethling) was the chosen for the office of king. Gesişas (gesiths) were, initially, noble warriors but increasingly just meant companions. Instead, the word duguş (duguth, proven warrior) was used for those holding loan-land from the king. Geoguş (geoguth) were young warriors, perhaps sons of duguş, who, with no land of their own, resided with their lord. So that overlaps with gesiths.

Toward the end of 8th century geoguş and duguş were replaced by thegn (one who serves) and dreng (young warrior). The change was really associated with the rise of book-right over land (rather than loan-land still held by the king).

This can be useful in terms of names
https://www.regia.org/research/warfare/fyrd1.htm