Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:24:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark gobbos and Mantic Orcs kitbashing  (Read 4458 times)

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
Oathmark gobbos and Mantic Orcs kitbashing
« on: April 02, 2021, 02:06:17 PM »
I've been trying to track down how well the Oathmark goblins will kitbash with the Mantic orcs. They look to be a similar scale but I'm not positive. Hoping they are so I can use oathmark orcs shields instead of the weird mantic ones pre-molded onto the arms.

Has any one done this and have both and could show some comparison pictures?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Oathmark gobbos and Mantic Orcs kitbashing
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 07:50:27 PM »
The Mantic orcs are much bigger than the Oathmark goblins - and much, much more heavily built. Crucially, the Oathmark goblin heads would be tiny on the Mantic orcs - and I think an oversized head is essential for an orcish look.

The Oathmark heads do work well on the Mantic goblins, though - as with this fellow:

Here's how he looks next to some 100% Oathmark goblins:

By contrast, the Mantic orcs are great big muscular things. Their heads are at least twice the size of the Oathmark ones.

Also, the Oathmark shields would be buckler-sized for the Mantic orcs. I reckon they'd look better with bigger shields - as in this kitbash below. This fellow has an old Citadel head, a Mantic orc body, GW beastman (Gor) arms and sword and shield from a GW dark elf:

The Gor beastmen arms are a perfect fit for Mantic orcs - and I've used a few of their heads on Mantic orcs too.

Hope that helps a bit!

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 08:45:40 PM »
Great comparison, thanks!

Offline Seditiosus

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 08:35:05 AM »
the old mantic goblins are (thankfully) out of production now. so you would need to source them via bitz seller... they were replaced by a new plastic kit that I haven't seen anyone here use... they seem to be nice figures... however decisively bigger than the old goblins

here a link to some comparison shots with GW miniatures:

https://blog.untilsomebodylosesaneye.net/2021/03/these-two-things-are-not-quite-same.html

and a general review of the new mantic goblins (both not mine)

https://blog.untilsomebodylosesaneye.net/2020/10/just-goblin-them-all-up.html

edit: commented on size
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 09:19:20 AM by Seditiosus »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 08:48:25 AM »
My opinion on this matches Hobgoblin’s... although it seems he got better results than me.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 09:14:33 AM »
Here's a comparison shot of Mantic orcs and Oathmark goblins (all works in progress!). As you can see, they're almost in different scales. In fact, I'm using the Oathmark ones as giant orc guards for 1/72.

Offline Seditiosus

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 09:20:36 AM »
ouh. wasn't aware, that the oathmark goblins are that small... I have a lot of mantic orks lying around, judging from images I saw on the oathmark goblins I assumed, they were similar in size. thanks for the pictures.

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 06:23:18 PM »
Thanks for posting these. I much prefer the oathmark miniatures as I’ve never really been a huge fan of the GW style orcs that mantic is making. The style has carried over to their goblins as well.

I’m also interested in the Erewhon orcs as they seem to be good kit bash fodder.

Offline Seditiosus

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 07:03:54 PM »
its a bit off-topic but can you tell me, what is GW-like on the mantic orks? I do not see really any resemblance to be honest...

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 08:14:53 PM »
I think the main feature common to GW and Mantic orcs is that they’re enormous. I use a small number of GW orcs with minor conversions as ogres with my 28mm forces and they look about right to me. Mantic’s orcs could also fill that role. It’s the same style of orc that World of Warcraft followed, and basically throws out the earlier images of orcs that are derived from Tolkien’s work.

I’m hoping that the Oathmark orcs aren’t quite so over-the-top as GW and Mantic when they’re released.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 05:08:44 AM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline AxolotlQuestions

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 09:40:41 PM »
My suspicion is that they're going to be the equivalent of the dwarf heavy infantry:
Pretty much the same but just wearing heavier armour.

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 12:24:40 AM »
its a bit off-topic but can you tell me, what is GW-like on the mantic orks? I do not see really any resemblance to be honest...

The face and head really, GW and mantic orcs tend to have the same giant face and styled face. At least in my opinion.

I like the more subdued face of the oathmark kit.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 10:41:44 AM »
I'd guess that the Oathmark orcs will be a fair bit bigger than the goblins - because they have the same basic troop types (soldiers, spearmen, etc.). Also, the orcish "heavies" (warriors and linebreakers) have much better stats than the regular orcs, in contrast to the other races. So it's possible that the orcs will be bigger than the goblins and then the "heavy" orcs will be bigger still.

For me, the Mantic orcs are quite a bit different from the GW ones. They're not quite as big or as comic, and their heads and hands are a lot smaller (though still oversized compared with humans). Also, they've got that distinctive baroque armour. So they're kind of their own thing (although there are still clear influences from GW, of course).

What they're closest to, I think, are the GW Gorka Morka orks, which had much smaller heads. I've got a sci-fi army with the heavy units made up of Mantic orcs (the sci-fi variants) and the lighter units made up of Gorka Morka plastics. They go together pretty well.

Offline Robosmith

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2021, 01:47:55 AM »
Here's a comparison shot of Mantic orcs and Oathmark goblins (all works in progress!). As you can see, they're almost in different scales. In fact, I'm using the Oathmark ones as giant orc guards for 1/72.
Thank you for posting the comparison. They are drastically different in scale but look similar in independent photos. Wonders of photography and internet galleries.

They're really nicely painted models.