Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:53:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mantic Kings of War Orcs for Oathmark - Opinions?  (Read 2836 times)

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
Mantic Kings of War Orcs for Oathmark - Opinions?
« on: January 31, 2021, 06:57:53 PM »
Having been an old WFB gamer, and possessing lots of old school Orcs and Goblins of the typical GW "cartoonish" sort of look, I was a bit put off by the style of the Mantic Kings of War greenskins. I've recently taken a second look and found that while their Goblins are definitely not to my taste, I rather like their Orcs.

I'm thinking of buying a force of Mantic Orcs to use in Oathmark, and while of course I have no one to please really but myself, it strikes me as a bit odd that I've seen absolutely no one mention using Mantic Orc figures in Oathmark - or even mentioned in any prior posts I can recall on LAF. Perhaps the former is due to Northstar's forthcoming Orcs, but I thought I'd ask if there were any particular reasons that these figures might not be well liked - are they difficult to assemble or paint, or perhaps just seem off to most on this forum?

Thanks for any opinions - especially if anyone has compared their size/heft to Oathmark figures, I'd love to hear how they may "fit".

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Mantic Kings of War Orcs for Oathmark - Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 07:02:08 PM »
Absolutely no reason why you can't use them. I suspect that people don't mention them because they just don't have them or they have them based for KoW

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 07:05:57 PM »
I've used them in Oathmark. I think they're pretty good - and they're a very good basis for conversions. They work well for orc warriors and linebreakers in Oathmark. They're designed to rank up on 25mm bases, and they look suitably imposing for the eye-catchingly high combat stats for orc linebreakers.

They take GW beastmen arms well, if you want to add more variety. It's a shame that they're all armed with axes/polearms, but they're easy to chop up for more variety.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 07:44:38 PM »
Personally I'm waiting for the Oathmark orcs, but that may be a while. Will probably end up kitbashing them with the Frostgrave Demon kit.

The mantic Orcs seem just fine, I think they could be made into a good looking force for Oathmark.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 07:48:40 PM »
While they look ok-ish or ork-ish lol, I absolutely hate puting together Mantic "Restic" very hard stuff to work with well, but I wish you luck.

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 07:51:02 PM »
While they look ok-ish or ork-ish lol, I absolutely hate puting together Mantic "Restic" very hard stuff to work with well, but I wish you luck.

The "Restic" is annoying - but the Mantic orc infantry are hard plastic - which is why they're so ripe for conversion.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 07:54:36 PM »
Here are some kitbashed Mantic orcs from a couple of years ago. These aren't the ones I've been using in Oathmark, but they show the versatility of the kits to some extent:

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 08:18:57 PM »
The "Restic" is annoying - but the Mantic orc infantry are hard plastic - which is why they're so ripe for conversion.

Well that's good to know, the sci-fi orcs I put together were done a fair few years ago. I did put together quite a lot of GCPS to use as proxy Imperial Guard and they were much easier to build for the most part.

Glen

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 08:22:30 PM »
Those are some nice looking blue orcs!
I also was thinking about the Mantic orcs, however Im not sure, how they would look next to the Northstar goblins. I rather wait for the Northstar orcs.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 09:06:18 PM »
I quite like the Mantic orcs. They'll be my boyz of choice when I get round to doing an O&G army for my WFB 6th edition gaming.

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 11:26:42 PM »
Thanks to all who replied, especially to Hobgoblin for the pictures. I've been in the basement digging through the archives and found _some_ of my old GW Orcs, enough for a starter game of Oathmark once I get my Oathmark Human Infantry assembled and painted.

But I'm going to have to get at least some of those Mantic Orcs for linebreakers at least.

Cheers all.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 06:50:24 PM »
I'm actually the reverse, I personally find the Orcs rather poor compared to the Goblins aesthetically. Then again gobbos are often meant to look silly  but Orcs...well not so much imo. GWs are silly but still have a bit of edge to them.