Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:32:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Does anyone here play Kings of War (Mantic games)  (Read 7398 times)

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
Does anyone here play Kings of War (Mantic games)
« on: October 31, 2013, 12:18:53 AM »
Who here has tried Kings of War. I havent had a game yet but it seems like a fun but simple fantasy game thats quick to play.

I particularly like there Kingdoms of Men faction that basically allows you to use any other historical miniatures as their units.

If any of you have KOW army's painted up feel free to share it.

Beasts of War are currently doing a week of videos dedicated to the game if you are at all interested.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/kings-of-war/kings-of-war-week-2013/

Offline Giger

• Mad Scientist
    • Crucium Giger's Blog
Re: Does anyone here play Kings of War (Mantic games)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:28:52 PM »
Indeed I do and our group uses the rule set to play Lord Of The Rings as well using either stats straight from the book or slightly altered.  It's quick and easy to pick up but very fun to play plus the rules are free, bonus!

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 01:04:20 PM »
I've been thinking about it, but the army lists in the free mini rulebook are pretty limiting.

My main aim is to get my existing collection onto the table and the game's lure for me dims significantly if e.g. I can't have bow-armed orcs.

Are the lists if the big book more varied?

Actually, I just wrote about it in my blog:

http://www.smallcuts.net/blog/?id=1417
Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 01:15:21 PM »
I've been thinking about it, but the army lists in the free mini rulebook are pretty limiting.

My main aim is to get my existing collection onto the table and the game's lure for me dims significantly if e.g. I can't have bow-armed orcs.

Are the lists if the big book more varied?

Actually, I just wrote about it in my blog:

http://www.smallcuts.net/blog/?id=1417

All the army lists are available to download: http://www.manticgames.com/free-rules.html

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 03:15:58 PM »
There is a unit called "Sniff" for bow armed orcs.

http://forum.manticblog.com/showthread.php?658-Kings-of-War-Warpath-for-Battlescribe-%28free-list-building-software%29&highlight=battlescribe

That may be useful. Its a free list builder for KOW. Its what I am using (Along with the big rule book) to create my kingdoms of men samurai army.

One comment in your Blog I would disagree with is that it's heavily tied to their line of miniatures. While of course mantic would prefer you to use there minis as long as the units have the correct footprint you can use whoevers miniatures you like. The Kingdom of men list for example was designed with this in mind.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:18:15 PM by carlos13th »

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 08:41:22 AM »
One comment in your Blog I would disagree with is that it's heavily tied to their line of miniatures.

That's the way the 1st edition seemed to me. I just checked the orc army list and e.g. there are no spear or sword armed orcs.

Sure, I could just call them an ax regiment... but why no weapon options or even a descriptive line like "orcs armed with a variety of 1-handed weapons"?

as long as the units have the correct footprint

Well, that's another issue. I base (almost) everything on 1" washers these days. Does that mean I can't use my e.g. goblins? I doubt it makes a huge impact on gameplay, but technically speaking it's illegal basing.

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 10:20:55 AM »
No offense, but it seems to me you're just too picky.

Sure, I could just call them an ax regiment... but why no weapon options or even a descriptive line like "orcs armed with a variety of 1-handed weapons"?
Screw the names, think of these units like this:
- Ax - orcs with hand weapons & shields,
- Greatax - orcs with 2-handed weapons,
- Morax - orcs with lots of hand weapons, but no shields.
These don't even have to be orcs, just mean creatures slightly bigger than a man. I used my GW Lizardmen as a mixed orc & goblin army.

As for the spear-armed orcs, add the Pike Phalanx rule to a unit of Ax and work out the cost. Or use the stats from some other army list - you can do that, it's even described in the rulebook (though you can't mix good and evil army lists and take war machines and heroes without taking a "normal" unit).

Well, that's another issue. I base (almost) everything on 1" washers these days. Does that mean I can't use my e.g. goblins? I doubt it makes a huge impact on gameplay, but technically speaking it's illegal basing.
The bases of your individual minis don't matter (unless they're heroes) - what matters are the units bases. Just prepare a base for the whole unit and put as many minis on it as you can (it really doesn't matter if it's the appropriate number, as long as your opponent knows how big the unit is).

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 12:56:27 PM »
No offense, but it seems to me you're just too picky.

I do this because sooner or later I will run into the opponent who wants everything to be exactly like in the book...

...therefore I prefer rules that explicitly let you change things.

I prefer the more abstract approach of Chipco's Fantasy Rules or Hordes of the Things because they let me do my modelling any way I like and use all my models.

I just want to play with my toys -- I don't want to invest in any ruleset that does not allow me to do that.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 12:58:16 PM »
With KOW the main concern is the unit footprint. Beyond that it doesn't matter so much, use what you want.

My current list doesn't have a single mantic model.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 05:29:31 PM »
Carlos, I think your mindset is exactly how KOW was meant to be played. Use whatever miniatures and modeling style you like, as long as the footprints are more or less the same. I use Litko movement trays that are a little bit off size-wise and I haven't had a problem yet. Here's my review and battle report if you're curious: http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2013/08/kings-of-war-battle-report-and-game.html

Also I base my guys on 25mm circular bases, but it hasn't been a problem using these movement trays.

I do this because sooner or later I will run into the opponent who wants everything to be exactly like in the book...
...therefore I prefer rules that explicitly let you change things.

I guess just steer clear of those opponents who will deliberately try to impede your fun?

But seriously, it's pretty clear that the philosophy behind Kings of War can be summed up as follows: "Play big games, have fun, roll dice, have more fun"

They'd love it if you wanted to use their miniatures, but you don't have to.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 05:48:59 PM »
I really like those movement trays. Allows you to use them ranked for KOW and historicals as well as taking them out for Skirmish games.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 08:03:03 PM »
I'm a big fan of Kings of War. I've only played it three times, but it was enough to convince me to build an army.
Fast, yet tacticaly satisfying.  THe various abstractions do make it seem to experienced wargamers like a ruleset that would be written for 15mm figures, but I think 28mm is much prettier, so I play in the suggested scale.

My army is Humans allied with undead (for werewolves) and is comprised of Battlemaster's figures, Reaper, Confrontation prepainted werewolves (touched up a bit), and others.

You can see it on the opposite side of the board in PatrickWR's report where you can also read my opinions of the game.  Additionally in this battle with another club member where it faced off against a rather unique union of men and elves. 

http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2013/10/warriors-of-chaos-against-rising-sun-in.html

Unpainted, I've got 30 more warriors in-progress with 10 each of beastmen and archers to beef up those units to 20 strong each and another unit of knights.  I'm really looking forward to when I and my opponents have 2000+ point forces and larger unit sizes.

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 09:52:49 PM »
Nice armies!

I too have been thinking about making a human/undead army, mixing Mantic Undead and Warlord Celts - that would give me barbarian people defending their land with the help of necromancy. Bought a lot of undead, but I don't have the time to paint them...  :(
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:54:44 PM by Sarmor »

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 10:36:11 PM »
Carlos, I think your mindset is exactly how KOW was meant to be played. Use whatever miniatures and modeling style you like, as long as the footprints are more or less the same. I use Litko movement trays that are a little bit off size-wise and I haven't had a problem yet. Here's my review and battle report if you're curious: http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2013/08/kings-of-war-battle-report-and-game.html

Also I base my guys on 25mm circular bases, but it hasn't been a problem using these movement trays.

I guess just steer clear of those opponents who will deliberately try to impede your fun?

But seriously, it's pretty clear that the philosophy behind Kings of War can be summed up as follows: "Play big games, have fun, roll dice, have more fun"

They'd love it if you wanted to use their miniatures, but you don't have to.

Where did you get the movement tras btw. They are exactly what I am after so I can use some of my guys for skirmish games as well.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 10:39:20 PM »
Nice armies!

I too have been thinking about making a human/undead army, mixing Mantic Undead and Warlord Celts - that would give me barbarian people defending their land with the help of necromancy. Bought a lot of undead, but I don't have the time to paint them...  :(

I am having a similar problem. Its less getting enough time for me and getting enough time to paint them when I feel well enough to do so. Still feel free to post your profess here when you make some.