Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:11:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painting Zulu skin colour  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Re: Painting Zulu skin colour
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2021, 10:30:58 AM »
Hehe, I'm so behind the times I don't even know what Contrast paint is.  :)

I'll have to check that out.

Basically well watered down paint over a white undercoat. I remember the guys, who wrote the Rapid Fire rules, doing tutorials on painting the same way, back in the 90s, in wargames illustrated. In theory i seems like a good way to paint lots of miniatures fast ( like the dip method all in vogue a few years back) but so far I haven't really seen anything done this way I really liked the look of.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2021, 12:24:13 PM »
Agreed. It’s basically a souped-up version of the dip / wash method - ink-type paints over a white or light undercoat and relying on gravity to run the shade into recesses and leave ‘natural’ highlights on the relief. It’s not new. What’s new is that GW have, as usual, found a way to package, market and monetise an old idea.
It doesn’t do it for me, but a lot of people seem to have picked up on it as a quick way of colouring figures with a passable result at tabletop distance.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2021, 02:45:59 PM »
Ah, I see. There is a guy on the Ancients board doing something similar with some plastic Persians. I think they look good. But I think I am a little set in my ways to start doing it myself. It's not like I'm trying to churn out lots of figures these days, more trying to paint a small number the best I can.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2021, 03:35:29 PM »
Ah, I see. There is a guy on the Ancients board doing something similar with some plastic Persians. I think they look good. But I think I am a little set in my ways to start doing it myself. It's not like I'm trying to churn out lots of figures these days, more trying to paint a small number the best I can.

That kind of sums it up those of us who are more into the modeling painting side of the hobby probably wouldn't use them. For the guys who are all about the gaming ,who find painting a chore, these sort of painting short cuts are a very viable option.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2021, 04:09:44 PM »
It doesn’t do it for me, but a lot of people seem to have picked up on it as a quick way of colouring figures with a passable result at tabletop distance.

And why not?
Painting seventeen layers of skin colour per Zulu's madness...
Fighting Redcoats, they're only on the table for ten minutes!

lol
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 02:25:26 PM »
I use a warm red-brown (Coat d’Armes Horse Tone brown) followed by a wash with Sepia ink.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2021, 03:09:30 PM »
These were speed painted using a technique that came out particularly well on the Copplestone sculpts- I think I remember they took about four hours in total for about 15 miniatures. The shields were just painted with VMC German Black Grey then dry brushed prior to a little tidying up. The hair the same but with Andrea Black then VMC German Grey. At the time the aim was to sell them to raise funds, thus the rather rushed job.

Details of how they were painted are on my blog here:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/speed-painted-african-flesh-with-beja.html

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 03:12:29 PM by Atheling »

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2021, 11:14:02 PM »
Well I tried the mix recommended by WSS magazine on a few Ngoni characters today. It was a roughly 50 50 mix of GW Contrast Cygor Brown and Fyreslayer Flesh. It's not going to win me any prizes and nowhere near as good as some of the many talented painters on this forum but I think it did a good job in one coat. Certainly good enough for the tabletop. Figures aren't completed and I don't have a camera so no pictures.
John

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 04:50:02 PM »
I sprayed all mine dark brown. 80% of the model painted to start

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2021, 05:26:51 PM »
I sprayed all mine dark brown. 80% of the model painted to start

What colour/manufacturer did you use perchance?