Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:06:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689473
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Another diversion - Gamma Wolves  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Another diversion - Gamma Wolves
« on: April 04, 2021, 10:48:17 PM »
Bought the rules on a whim, they read well!  So thought I'd have a go at a Frame.  More to follow sooner or later...
the legs are articulated in CAD so all the pistons move correctly when I repose the legs.
This is a medium frame, the light will have 4 legs the heavy will have 8.  I like the idea of them being modular and related technically.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 10:49:50 PM by Rich H »

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: Another diversion - Gamma Wolves
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 01:04:37 PM »
Gamma Wolves multi-leggers?  So rifles on the primary mounts, or maybe artillery on a heavy frame?

First print looks nice.  Given the low model count in the game 3D printing ought to be nice and economical.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 01:17:47 PM »
The idea is that these are higher tech but not complex tech to build or maintain.

The guns are inspired by a Russian twin 23mm autocannon
the idea was these are autocannons

I was thinking the rifles would be something like the mosquito tetse fly 57mm. 

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 01:19:31 PM »
Melee weapons will replace the front legs, artillery... Not sure yet.
Rocket pods will be again Russian inspired

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 02:56:35 PM »
Artillery's kind of iffy mechanically, but if you're going with multi-leg frames it's really either rifles or arty for primaries to benefit from the "always counts as stationary" rule.  Really makes rifles remarkably good IME, those accurate re-rolls are amazing when you can still move around while benefiting from them.

If you're doing a whole crew of spider-frames, you're going to want to make sure your parts budget works out.  Upgrading multiple mechs' propulsion systems gets expensive fast and really eats into your budget for the rest of your loadout.  I screwed up the math on my first crew and had to redo two frames to get back under the limit, very annoying.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 03:00:29 PM »
Good advice. Thanks! 

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 08:44:42 PM »

The idea is a gauss rifle with integral reactor and a simple unguided rocket pod. Unsure if I'm going with one or three mags of slugs

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 01:16:36 PM »
Slick, that looks nice.  Don't forget the rocket and AT missile weapons will fit in Secondary mounts (which I assume is the top tribarrel there, right?) so you'd want them to be adaptable to either position if you want to maximize versatility.  There are circumstances (usually involving loadout budgets or the desire to link two systems for maximum alpha strike) where sticking secondaries in primary slots makes good sense, but of course you can't go the other way around.

One suggestion, make yourself something that looks like an extra fuel storage pack that you can attach to the hulls somewhere.  It's one of the most important bits of non-offensive loadout you can take and you'll probably want to use them on as many frames as your budget will allow.  The war clock in this game ticks down really fast, and extending it even a little bit can be the difference between outlasting your opponent or letting them claim the field.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 01:56:18 PM »
Thanks again. I noticed the warclock, I had a feeling that managing that is more important managing other bits!

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 02:20:22 PM »
Thanks again. I noticed the warclock, I had a feeling that managing that is more important managing other bits!

I haven't gotten in many games (COVID and all that) but yeah, it's kind of shocking how fast it depletes, especially in the scenarios where one side only has 30 ticks instead of 40 to start.  The heavy frames wind up trying to get into a good firing position early on and then just sitting there as much as possible while the more efficient (in terms of distance covered per tick on the clock) lights and mediums move around grabbing loot and trying to survive reactive fire while they do it.  Larger frames can cover ground fast (especially "tank" mode heavy frames) but you just can't spend 4-6 ticks per frame turn after turn. 

You can get a fair amount of "free" movement during the gunnery phase if you evade whenever you're attacked, but it's never a sure thing.  Your enemy can just not shoot at you and leave you sitting there, and even if they do shoot you're still likely to take some damage, and the smaller frames really feel every point they take.  Evasion's rarely going to let you dodge completely unless it's a big difference between pilot skills.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 10:48:24 PM »
Exotic looking kit.

The weapon designs look good.

When do we get to see the other designs?

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 11:33:48 PM »
When I finish faffing.  I've decided this one is too slick and needs more panel lines and access hatches.  I've got the 4 and 8 leg versions drawn.  The idea is it's a modular design so the hull is bigger but the rest is common with 2, 3 or 4 weapon stations on the turret.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 09:49:19 PM »
Interesting and quite original designs you have there. Lovely!

Also good to see more Gamma Wolves stuff here including discussions on frame layouts!

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 09:54:50 PM »
Thanks

I've always loved big stompy robots and started with battletech many many years ago.  Problem was almoat all of my friends were playing 40k...

Later (much) I started on warmachine as it had stompy robots bit sadly they were overshadowed by gimmicks and infantry unit tactics. 

Then I saw Gamma Wolves and read a review.  Not managed to play or event try it solo bit I do intend to have a go at some point!

My designs... I struggle with original concepts so any thoughts are welcome!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 06:30:48 PM »
I've got the 4 and 8 leg versions drawn.  The idea is it's a modular design so the hull is bigger but the rest is common with 2, 3 or 4 weapon stations on the turret.
Cool.

What scale are you going for? Is that a big lounge at the front or a scanner?