Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:14:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690930
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mean Streets: The Warriors & More (Next to Last Buildings)  (Read 25112 times)

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: Mean Street Gangs (Warriors, Sis, Preston too)
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2023, 01:23:29 AM »
Also freshly finished, an [unattested] affiliate gang, The Gramercy Sisters, aka the Sis.  Affiliate gangs were acknowledged in The Warriors, but none were called out by name.  Parallel to the historical Ghetto Lords and Ghetto Sisters, The Sis are exceedingly likely associates of the Gramercy Riffs.

Led by Tomyris, wife of Cyrus.  They run heavy on the artists, with 2 or 3 in this delegation.  Rae and Chantal have spray cans,  Ruby could be shaking a can, or maybe she's just cracking her knuckles.
: 3

Like The Riffs, they have martial-artsesque robes, but in their own colours of the pan-African green, yellow, and red.

Figures are primarily 25mm Dixon pirates and cowgirls, and assorted other stuff from the stash.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 04:13:05 AM by Cat »

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2023, 01:32:06 AM »
And at long last, ripped from the marquee, and ready to come out to playyyy, it's The Warriors!

Figures from Funky Skull's 'The Braves,' with a number shortened at the waist or knees to better approximate the varied heights of the movie cast.  I didn't want to cut into the vests, so that limited the amount of shortening I could do at the waist.  They were all a uniformaly scale creeped 30mm tall to start with.

Mercy was finished some time ago, using a figure from the stash.

I painted the patch areas with a base of white, and after that dried, added the lettering and logo with .005 Micron Art pens.

I had put off finishing this gang up because they required a lot of individual detail: skin tones, clothing accessories, pants colours, and sneaker colours!

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2023, 01:52:34 AM »
Those are great. I am always surprised no one ever made "Not" warrior figures in the past.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2023, 05:06:19 PM »
Those are great -- I love them! I love your research and attention to detail in shortening up miniatures' height, modifying them, etc...  :o

Mike Demana

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Re: Mean Street Gangs (The Warriors Reading and Reference Books)
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2023, 06:39:28 PM »
Thanks folks! 

I definitely enjoy the research aspects of any project as much as the modelling and gaming.  Currently enjoying Can You Dig It, all sorts of background info on the movie.

And diving into research on the next phase of the project, building up some dedicated terrain.  Doing lots of Google Map scouting for modelling inspiration.  Like in the movie, the game table doesn't have to be an exact NYC location, but evocative of the movie and 'somewhere in NYC'.

The area around Broadway Junction Station gives a good street layout to tweak for best tabletop use.  This station is the film location where the Warriors escaped the Turnbull ACs, and is actually in Brooklyn.  I'll just name the model "Broadway Station", it will be good for setting games in Brooklyn, or on that other Broadway that runs the length of most of Manhattan and the Bronx (and beyond, up past Sleepy Hollow!).

The station where they 'escape' the Orphans was filmed at New Utrecht Ave station, also in Brooklyn.  Discovered that's on the M line, and umm, only 8 stops away from the Stillwell Avenue terminus at Coney Island....
: D

A great reference book just arrived, Born to Run, which provides train markings proper and after-market additional artistic styles.  The book is laid out in chronological order, so really handy for pinpointing the late 70s image.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2023, 06:34:29 PM »
Currently trying to find The Warriors book reasonably priced...

Mike Demana

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2023, 06:45:45 PM »
Currently trying to find The Warriors book reasonably priced...

I got mine from ABE, they still have some used copies on hand at this typing:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=Can%20You%20Dig%20It%3A%20The%20Phenomenon%20of%20The%20Warriors&sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-topnav-_-Results

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2023, 03:55:55 AM »
Thanks! They had a copy for $20. I'll probably pick it up. In the meantime, I am running two games of Mean Streets at the local Origins convention this weekend. So, wish me luck, and I'll post some pics and an AAR of the games once I get back from the convention and have time to decompress. lol

Mike Demana

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2023, 04:00:45 AM »
Good luck and have fun, Mike!

Looking forward to the AARs and photos as always.

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2023, 01:38:19 PM »
There's lots of graffiti decals from model railroad sources for defacing um decorating the subway.  Really great work especially on all the shorten work; I would never had even thought of that.  Looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2023, 01:14:21 AM »
Thanks, Pistolpete — adjusting the heights is definitely a fun little process that really helps capture the characters better.  I greatly prefer varied heights in skirmish games for a more natural look.  In bigger battle games, all those individual snowflakes just become a pile of snow, so I don't tend to get concerned over heights then.

The graffiti will definitely be a job for freehand customisation.  Unlike historically, I will be putting up gang names (gangs didn't tag trains), definitely need a big WARRIORS across one car to set the scene, plus others and more movie references.

The model railroad ones wouldn't quite work anyway.  They're designed for boxcars, not to fit around the windows of subway cars, and would either be too small (HO scale), or too large (O scale).  We'll be printing out the cars ~1/64 (S scale).

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2023, 03:34:21 PM »
They sure look the part, Cat.  Well done!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
Re: Mean Street Gangs (WA Boxers converted to The Mongols)
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2023, 01:08:01 AM »
I hadn't originally been planning on modelling the Mongols, the gang seen waiting at the Chinatown subway station at the opening of The Warriors.  Their costume was funky enough, but the colours bland and sourcing conversion fodder would be tricky.

This gang has long been identified as the Savage Huns, but in the last couple of years a production photograph emerged of a deleted, and lost, scene which is definitely them and the Mongols.  Also, photos have emerged of a surviving costume that shows a terrific back patch with a big crouching tiger.

The tiger patch caught my attention, so I went scouting for conversion fodder.  Wargames Atlantic plastic Boxers were perfect for the job.

Baggy trousers and leg wrappings were just right.  I shortened the height on most of the figures and shaved them all down to make them skinnier.  The shirts and hats carved down easily into the proper style.  Love working with styrene!  (These started out as wicked tall and bulky for Asians, a common problem with sculptors.)

The leader is armed with cleaver, and an optional pistol that can be swapped in.
"You see what you get Warriors!  You see what you get when you mess with the Mongols!"

Since I was doing conversions from a box of Boxers, the gang also gets a Tiger Spirit champion in full Tigerman suit (not contra-indicated in the world of The Warriors gang outfits) and a pair of butterfly knives.
"Yes Mr. Crocodile, that is a knoife, but I see you only have one..."

Painting the tiger patches was quite fun.  Did a white base coat.  Let that dry, then added the oranges.  Let that dry, and then added final details with the .005 Micron Art pen.  Fences in the WIP photo courtesy of Mike Demana.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 01:09:52 AM by Cat »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2023, 03:37:23 AM »
Good looking bunch.  Nice job on the logos too...

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2023, 05:43:24 PM »
Thanks, Cap'n!

The patches were fun, and large enough that they were easier than expected.  I was happy with all of them on first pass and didn't need to go back with any touch-up.