Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:49:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690652
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm fantasy sculpts from mammoth minis - dragons and steamtanks and swordsmen!  (Read 12340 times)

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
I figured it was worth seperating my fantasy output from my sci fi one over here https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=123773.0

Here's the last fantasy stuff I've been working on - currently all up on the mammoth miniatures webstore.
https://mammoth-miniatures.onlineweb.shop/

The ogre mercenary - Kind of a pig to cast in one piece, I may make a new mould later with a separate axe head.

The alchemist - I just wanted to sculpt a turban.

The half dwarf fighter - He came out shorter than planned, so yeah...he's a half dwarf now.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 12:38:34 PM by Mammoth miniatures »

• Mad Scientist
Re: 28mm fantasy sculpts from mammoth minis - Loads of toads
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 05:01:33 PM »
I sculpted up and cast this little giant toad the other day.

Here he is hassling a spaceman, as toads are want to do.

He's up on the webstore now, And I'll probably sculpt some riders/extra critters in the next few weeks.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 12:52:19 PM »
Great sculpt - the painting is also truly amazing.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 07:28:37 AM »
Really nice sculpting and painting!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 08:14:40 AM »
These are terrific! And the toads are extremely useful for all kinds of games.

The 'painterly' style of brushwork is magnificent too!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 10:07:17 AM »
Toad looks fantastic, will be even better with a rider or a pack load.  8)

Quick question re the spaceman - how do you smoke a cigar while wearing a rebreather...?

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 04:17:18 PM »
Toad looks fantastic, will be even better with a rider or a pack load.  8)

Quick question re the spaceman - how do you smoke a cigar while wearing a rebreather...?

Okay so I have had the exact same question since I sculpted him - I literally finished him, went to take the sculpt out of the oven and turned to my partner and asked "why did i give him a cigar and a gas mask?"  lol

My theory is this - the holes in the mask are designed to filter out particulates, but if you hold a cigar up to one you can safely smoke whilst keeping your lungs free of dangerous space dust.
Honestly you're the only one so far to have asked!

These are terrific! And the toads are extremely useful for all kinds of games.

The 'painterly' style of brushwork is magnificent too!

Thankyou! I worry my painting style might not be the best for "selling" the sculpts, But I'm just not a smooth painter.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 05:49:51 PM »
They are good enough for my list ;-). Some really cool stuff over there.
Leadhead

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 05:54:45 PM »
That toad is brilliant! Great sculpt, great brushwork.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

• Mad Scientist
Re: 28mm fantasy sculpts from mammoth minis - Banhus miniatures
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 11:39:16 AM »
It's a new month and i've got a new initiative , The mammoth Mini publishing service.

Basically I want to encourage traditional sculpting, but unfortunately the patreon/digital model that has helped so many digital sculptors control their own work isn't viable for many physical sculptors. So what are their options? sell the sculpt for a flat amount , or work for a big company and make someone else designs. Well now there's mini publishing - In short, we will cast sell and distribute your sculpts, and pay you 65% of all profit from every single sale of your sculpt, and you retain the rights to the design.
Once the cost of production has been recouped or the initial agreed run is sold out, we can either cast it on demand and keep it in our mould library, or you can have the mould back.

The first sculptor we're working with is Banhus miniatures, who has produced the first of a range of minis based on medieval manuscript artwork - this lovely big headed giant chap.

• Mad Scientist
And now for something completely different!

I carved up this ancient ruined monolith from plaster the other day. yestarday i made a sock mould for it and tried out a rotocast pull of it. I was only using generic polyeurethane resin so there is some delamination present, but the detail captured wonderfully, no bubbled and it keeps the weight (and cost) down. I've got some proper roto resin on the way to produce some better casts.

the mould looking...suspicious

The first cast - you can see some delamination under the surface which is caused by a too thick resin falling away during rotation and creating air pockets between layers. this will be solved by using a less viscous resin.
the white colour near the base is just plaster filler that was stuck to the inside oif the mould after pulling out the master sculpt.

It's quite a chunky piece of scenery, but luckily using roto casting means it stays light and should keep it affordable.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Have you tried making a plug for it out of scrap rubber so you could do a static pour?  Probably wind up with more air bubbles but you wouldn't have to roto-cast that way.  Always had difficulty getting consistently good results with that technique myself, although yours looks good.

• Mad Scientist
Have you tried making a plug for it out of scrap rubber so you could do a static pour?  Probably wind up with more air bubbles but you wouldn't have to roto-cast that way.  Always had difficulty getting consistently good results with that technique myself, although yours looks good.

I did consider it, but i think given the good quality I got from the first test I will do a few more without and see how things go - As it stands I want to avoid bubbles as much as possible, So i don't wiggling the mould around in front of the heater for 5 minutes if that means I get a good quality pull from it :)  I'd far rather use the rubber to make new moulds for new sculpts :)

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Oh absolutely - never waste fresh rubber on a plug.  We always used burned-out molds to cut a suitable plug from, but that assumes you have dead molds laying around in the first place.

Nothing wrong with rotocasting if you're comfortable with doing it, which I'm not.  Always worried I'd botch my timing and screw up a casting - not helped by the way the phone or the doorbell would always ring the minute I started.  Murphy's Law.  :)

• Mad Scientist
Spent a couple of hours throwing paint at this - I tried to give it a lovecraftian look, with wet mossy stone and age stained plaster.

not an amazing paintjob by any stretch, but good enough for the table.
(and as much as i'm looking forward to casting these in luminous cthulu green, A paintjob helps show the texture)