Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:32:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686556
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Atlantic pick next box poll  (Read 9283 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Wargames Atlantic pick next box poll
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2021, 02:01:28 PM »
I keep requesting pre-20th Century Ottomans (and in particular Janissaries) from Wargames Atlantic every time they ask for suggestions or do a poll on their website.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2021, 05:12:17 PM »
I have a hard time seeing it a big seller. There is a part of me that thinks the participants in the election process represent a vocal minority. I thought it would come down to Apocalyptic survivors or western characters such as deputies and cowboys 

On the other hand we don't really need more Napoleonics or WW2 Brits/Germans/Americans on the market.

I agree.  While I'm happy to see a company listen to its consumers, it's also only listening to "current and tuned in" consumers - or people like us on forums.  It's definitely niche and a little dangerous, but that seems to be Wargames Atlantic's marketing strategy - fill gaps in the marketplace.  We'll see how it works out for them.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2021, 06:50:14 PM »
Considering how many people have been vocally supportive of Landsknecht Ogres on various platforms I think they will sell more boxes of them than they have of the Dark Ages Irish (which I love by the way but are rather niche).

As for more Napoleonics…. plastic French Light Infantry and Ottomans please.
The 'Dark Age' Irish can be used for a lot longer into the Medieval period though.

Online TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2021, 07:01:46 PM »
I have a hard time seeing it a big seller. There is a part of me that thinks the participants in the election process represent a vocal minority. I thought it would come down to Apocalyptic survivors or western characters such as deputies and cowboys 

I'm not sure they're all that bothered about it being a big seller TBQH. It looks to me like far more of a marketing exercise than any sort of genuine customer research.
Says a lot about how cheap (comparatively) it now is to produce plastic kits that a company can effectively afford to use one as a marketing tool and if it makes a bit of money that's a bonus.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2021, 11:56:19 PM »
The 'Dark Age' Irish can be used for a lot longer into the Medieval period though.

And they are excellent fodder for conversion, as I said I love them, but if you prefer another example… Panzer Lehr seem pretty niche to me.

Edit: Although I suppose those will make fine conversion fodder for some folks as well. That is the thing about multi-part plastic kits, they can be inherently multi-purpose.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 11:59:36 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2021, 02:59:09 AM »
I'm not sure they're all that bothered about it being a big seller TBQH. It looks to me like far more of a marketing exercise than any sort of genuine customer research.
Says a lot about how cheap (comparatively) it now is to produce plastic kits that a company can effectively afford to use one as a marketing tool and if it makes a bit of money that's a bonus.
That's an interesting take on it too; perhaps we a past the point where a plastic kit had to sell xx thousands of units to be financially viable.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2021, 08:18:45 AM »
I doubt it unless the pandemic has somehow magically reduced the cost of tooling, dies and plastic.

Maybe they know the market better than anyone here? Maybe, they’re fucking idiots and it’s a poor business decision? Maybe it won’t actually go ahead for various technical reasons and be cancelled after a decent interval? Maybe their past releases have made them richer than Croesus and they are feeling indulgent? I really don’t know and don’t really care what they choose to do but I am pretty certain that manufacturing costs have not decreased.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Online TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2021, 11:17:42 AM »
I am pretty certain that manufacturing costs have not decreased.
I don't think anyone suggested they had, did they?

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2021, 01:08:48 PM »
And they are excellent fodder for conversion, as I said I love them, but if you prefer another example… Panzer Lehr seem pretty niche to me.

Edit: Although I suppose those will make fine conversion fodder for some folks as well. That is the thing about multi-part plastic kits, they can be inherently multi-purpose.
Yes, any source of cloaks is always welcome!

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2021, 01:12:26 PM »

Definitely agree, the Panzer Lehr will be great for conversions, as are most oft their sets.
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2021, 01:23:56 PM »
I don't think anyone suggested they had, did they?

Well after a fashion, yes they did.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2021, 01:38:36 PM »

Ha! Fair point. I am surprised that none of the big companies make a sprue of low cost plastic multi-period, multi-genre cloaks.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2021, 02:35:53 AM »
Well after a fashion, yes they did.
I know nothing about this specific industry, but I do know that the more companies in any given sector manufacturing any given product usually (not always, but usually) puts downward pressure on prices. Various factors mitigate or exacerbate that trend.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »
Yeah, competition can lead to downward price pressure. That tends to occur where the competition is direct. Given that WA seem to be producing niche items not already covered in plastic that level of competition does not exist.

Even if it were it’s not inevitable that it would lead to lower prices. There are countless ranges of Napoleonic, WW2, ACW ranges from various manufacturers in existence. I’ve yet to notice that the addition of yet another range has caused prices to drop amongst their competitors.

Wargamers are a small market, the efficiencies that come from economies of scale in manufacturing tend not to exist.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2021, 02:44:09 PM »
Yeah, competition can lead to downward price pressure. That tends to occur where the competition is direct. Given that WA seem to be producing niche items not already covered in plastic that level of competition does not exist.
I was thinking more at the manufacturing end than the selling end when I made that point and specifically of China. That is, the more factories doing injection moulding results in more competition (or production options anyway) for the business the likes of Wargames Atlantic. Thus, downward pressure on production cost. In any event, it was just one possible explanation for how niche plastic kits might be more viable than in the past. As I said, I don't know the business at all, just theorizing.