Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:11:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690827
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Narcos and Feds.  (Read 4604 times)

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: Narcos and Feds - the battle begins! (Updated 04/28/21)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2021, 08:24:24 PM »
Part 1 - The Crowds Gather...

"Central, Patrol 1.  Shots fired!  Shots fired!  Our vehicle is down at the central intersection.  Repeat, our vehicle is down."
"Patrol 1, Central.  Affirmative on your vehicle down.   Anyone down?"
"Central, negative."
"Patrol 1, we've got eyes in the sky over your location.  Tangoes to your west, east and south approaching your location.  You have civilians in the area, too."
"Affirmative, Central.  Are the rescue teams on standby?"
"Patrol 1, Affirmative"
"Central 1, request you launch to our location."
"Patrol 1, Affirmative.  ETA 5 minutes."
"Central, Affirmative."

Special Agent Smith was worried.  They weren't supposed to be where they were.  He had 4 men with pistols, and had bad guys closing in on their location.  "OK, guys, keep your eyes peeled.  We have possible hostiles inbound.  The rescue force is activated"

Just then, machine gun fire ripped up the roof of their jeep.  It came from above and behind them.  "S**t.  Take cover! We gotta get off the street!"
 "Boss" yelled Agent Jones.  "I got 3 guys with guns coming through the industrial yard." 
Agent Ford yelled "we got more coming up the street from the south, and I hear trucks inbound from the east.  They don't sound like our guys - wrong direction."   
Just then, they began taking fire from all 4 directions.  "Jones is down!  Jones is down" cried Agent Ford.  But their time at the range was paying off, a few bad guys were down too.  But that damn machine gun was gonna play hell if they didn't get off the street.  And those civilians - what the h**l were they doing just standing in the street watching this s**t?

"Ford, grab Jones. Get in that apartment building.  Willis and I will cover you.  Then we'll be in."  More incoming fire.  Damn, it's getting too close.  Those cartel guys are getting too close.   But more cartel guys go down. 

"Patrol 1, Central.  Eyes in the Sky has more tangoes closing in.  You have 2 pick-ups inbound from the east.  They are not friendlies.  Repeat, not friendlies."
"Affirmative, Central."  "Let's go, boys!  Get in that apartment building.  Get in the first floor units.  Move!  Move!  Move!"

They managed to get inside the apartments, dragging Jones with them.  He was not doing well.  Smith yelled "I'll stay here with Jones, and take a window.  Ford, you and Willis get across the hall into that other unit.  Watch the windows."

It looked like they were getting surrounded.  They had bad guys in front, more coming around back, and that G*d D**n machine gun.  Just then, Ford went down.  Things were not looking good.

"Central, Patrol 1.  We have 2 agents down.  I repeat 2 agents down.  Where is that rescue force?!"
"Patrol 1, Affirmative on 2 agents down.  Rescue is still at least 2 minutes out.  Can you hold out?"
"Central - I don't know, but we'll try."

To be continued...

CapnJim   

"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
Re: Narcos and Feds.
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 02:57:22 PM »
That was great.  Hold in there boys.  :D

Offline Dr Bogo

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 03:38:27 PM »
Great AAR and thanks for the building tips!

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 09:34:39 PM »
Dr Bogo:  No worries.  Glad to help.

Part 2 (A Near Run Thing) should go up tomorrow after my sister leaves.  Part 3 (Here Comes the Cavalry!), the climax, will follow that, likely Saturday.

And thanks to everyone for their comments!

CapnJim

PS:  Gotta work on my figure photography some (mostly lighting and focus, I think).  Now that I'm posting here, I'll want to show off my work as I get it done, and maybe some of my existing stuff...

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Narcos and Feds. (Updated 04/30/21)
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2021, 03:18:10 PM »
Part 2:  A Near Run Thing.

"They've run inside that apartment building, Boss.  Even dragged their dead guy with 'em.  And there's people gathering in the street.  What do you want us to do?"
He thought about that for a minute.  Then he saw another one of his men drop in the street.  Man, those Feds are good shots. he thought to himself.  "Take a couple guys around the back.  Have a few more get in front.  Hide behind the fences and railings.  Pepper the windows - keep their heads down.  And yell at those people.  Tell 'em to go back home!"
"Boss, Chucky's coming in with his boys.  Where do you want them?" 
"Right here in this intersection.  Block it with his trucks.  If those feds get help. I want s**t in their way."
"The boys are in place in front and back.  What now?"
"Keep their attention in the back.  Send some of the boys in the front, and get in those apartments.  I want those suckers dead".
"Okay, Boss.  I'll take care of it"
These was still too much fire coming out of those apartments.  At least one of them is down, but they are proving a tough nut to crack.  Then he noticed those beat-up pick-ups of Chucky's rolling in.  He waved them to the intersection, where they pulled up.  Good.  His men were getting out with out being told.  "Chucky - have your guys watch the windows of those first-floor apartments.  We have them holed up in their.  I'm sending my boys in."
Just then,, he heard the expected flurry of gunfire from inside the apartment building front door.  His boys had gone in.  "I got another one!" someone yelled from inside - it sounded like one of his guys.  But something wasn't right, and he couldn't put his finger on it.
"Boss!"  Jesus yelled from that balcony in factory yard.  "We got 2 SUVs coming in fast from the north!"  "Watch them, Jesus.  Hit 'em with that M60 when they get in".
Just then, he saw Junior stagger backwards out of the apartment building.  Obviously shot.  "D**m it." he muttered.  They only have 2 guys in there, and my boys can't force their way in.  And now, they got help coming.  His plan started out so well, but was falling apart. 
Then he heard the engines racing in from the north, and saw the dust, and heard Jesus' M60 rip.  But all he saw was it tear the road up behind them.  Jesus can't hit the broad side of a barn, even if he was inside it.
S**t, he thought.  It's gonna get ugly now....

Stay tuned for the conclusion...

CapnJim 

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2021, 02:12:31 AM »
Rescue 2's radio crackled "Rescue 2, Rescue 1.  Patrol 1 has 2 men down.  They're holed up in the apartment building at the main intersection.  We'll post up right in front of it.  We'll V left - you V right, right behind us.  Deadly force is authorized against armed subjects.  Lock and load - we're coming in hot!"
"Affirmative Rescue 1." 
Greene turned to face the men in his unit, when Sullivan yelled "Machine gun right!  Machine gun right!  Up on the balcony!  Up on the balcony!"
"We got unarmed subjects on our left, watch them!"
"Sullivan, Stirling, you get out and take out that SOB with the machine gun.  Wayne and I will engage at street-level.  Copy?"
In unison, "Yeah, chief".  Except a "Roger that, Sir" from Wayne.  That guy still thinks he's in the army...
As Rescue 1 veered left in front of the apartment, Green snapped "Now, Wayne!".  The SUV cut right and came to an abrupt halt.  They weren't going any further anyway,  Those bas***ds have the street blocked with their piece of s**t pick-ups.   "Now, Now!  Move!"  Greene and his crew got out and immediately started engaging bad guys.  Sullivan screamed "Machine gun is down".  Men were dropping in the street, but only 3 of Rescue 1's crew got out of their SUV.  S**t.  Already we're down 1?
"All Rescue units, Central.  Eyes have hostiles approaching from the south, west, and east.  Multiple hostiles at the intersection."
"Central, Rescue 2.  Affirmative."
"OK, boys.  We got more coming."
"Stirling, you post up in the factory yard. Cover that direction.  Sullivan, Wayne, cover the street"
"D**n!  Rescue 1C is down!"  Oh man, I liked her...
It was getting hairy.  For each cartel goon they put down, more appeared.  "OK, Rescue 1 is going in the apartment building.  Covering fire!"
He could see Rescue 1D and a patrol guy dragging men out of the building.  The patrol guy yells "Patrol 1A is down, too."  Man, that's 3 patrol guys and 2 Rescue guys.  S**T! 3 Rescue guys. Rescue 1A is down!  Now I'm OIC.  "OK.  Collapse on the vehicles.  Keep loading the wounded.  Cover them." 
Hey, their fire is starting to slack off.  What's going on.  From Wayne:  "Chief, they're starting to bug out.  But there's a bunch laying in the street.  Patrol 1D says there must be 6 or 7 of them lying in the hallway in the apartment."
"Ok.  Finish getting loaded up.   Let's get the h*ll out of here!"
"Boss, they're gone!".  Wayne was right. It got eerily quite all of a sudden. 
"Central, Rescue 2.  Extracting with 6 down.  I repeat 6 down.  3 Patrol, 3 Rescue.  Both Patrol 1A and Rescue 1A are down.  Moving to the med facility."
"Rescue 2, Central, affirmative.  Notifying med to ready.  ETA to med 5 minutes.".
"Affirmative. Central."  Man, that was close.  Too close.  "Greene, hit it.  Drive!"

And with that, it was over.  Patrol 1 had 3 wounded.  According to the relevant chart in Black Ops, 1 was "Return to Action", 1 was "Walking Wounded", and the 3rd was "Seriously wounded" (the first guy hit, out in the street).  Rescue 1 also had 3 wounded.  They also had 1 each "Return to Action" and "Walking Wounded".  But they had 1 KIA (the driver - shot dead by the cartel leader as soon as the SUV stopped).

The cartel boys?  They started with 15 figures on the table, with 4 immediate reinforcements (in a pick-up).  As cartel figs were downed, they recycled as reinforcements 4 at a time.  The 1st 4 of these also came on in a pick-up.  The rest came on on foot.  All the reinforcements came on at randomly rolled "spawn points".  All told, there were 35 cartel figures.  Only 9 got off the board when they finally failed their final Dedication check.

All in all, it was one heck of a nail-biter, and a ton of fun.  Shades of Sicario, Fort Apache - The Bronx and the LA bank robber shootout.

Hope you all enjoyed this.  I prefer telling AARs as narrative stories, as you can tell.

CapnJim         

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2021, 02:26:04 AM »
You got the tension right in the AAR. Thank you.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2021, 08:13:48 AM »
Nice AAR, and a narrative style is the best way to do it.

Rule and Roll does have its uses for tutorials.

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2021, 06:04:47 PM »
Thanks for the comments. 

I must say, Black Ops worked out nicely for this scenario, even without the Stealth part of the rules.  We did have to invent vehicle dismounting/mounting rules, but we're all veteran gamers, so that wasn't really all that hard.  I think Black Ops does lend itself well to telling the story...

CapnJim

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2021, 07:08:22 PM »
Thanks for the comments. 

I must say, Black Ops worked out nicely for this scenario, even without the Stealth part of the rules.  We did have to invent vehicle dismounting/mounting rules, but we're all veteran gamers, so that wasn't really all that hard.  I think Black Ops does lend itself well to telling the story...

CapnJim

I have been looking at modern skirmish for the past few years and these came and went across the "interest desk" very fast an with not enough effort. I will have to revisit them again. Thank you for bringing potential rules, or ideas I can steal and incorporate into rules, to light again.

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2021, 07:50:41 PM »
Glad to help.  Steal away.... ;)

CapnJim

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2021, 08:00:46 AM »
Very entertaining AAR and nice terrain and miniatures!
We are using Black Ops for Gang War / Police vs. Gangster action, and it creates very much the cinematic feeling we want in our games.

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2021, 12:04:21 AM »
Nandrin:  Sorry, I meant to respond earlier, but it appears I forgot... :?

We like Black Ops.  I'll have to look at it for our prohibition-era gangster games.  Heck, we've even used it for a War of 1812 game.  They actually worked out nicely.  It was interesting using the stealth rules as the Indians attempted to sneak up on the unsuspecting US militia...

Offline miros

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2021, 05:12:57 PM »
The board looks great.  Nice job on the minis, I have those Brigade ones waiting their turn to be painted.  Where did you get the sidewalks from?  If you got that building from Mike Demana, it may be made by TT Combat.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2021, 06:45:53 PM »
A great thread, lovely setup and an excellent AAR  8)