Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:07:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Death Valley-Twenty Mule Team  (Read 1258 times)

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
Death Valley-Twenty Mule Team
« on: May 03, 2021, 07:44:56 PM »
(I posted this in the Old West section, but did not receive any answers or suggestions.  Since I am partly asking about the colonial period in India,and Africa, I thought I would try it here as well.) 

Years ago a friend gave me a model kit of the 20 mule team wagons and mules from the late 50's-early 60's.  The scale is probably more consistent with 30mm figures, but it is pretty close for 28mm. Of course all I had was a plastic bag of a multitude of tiny plastic parts, and no instructions.  It has sat on my work bench for years and I finally put the vast vast majority of it together, and I have to say it is a pretty cool little model.  Now my question which will cause all of you to "put on your thinking caps".  What can I use it for?  Is there any record of something like this being used during the mid to late 1800's?  In India?  In Africa? In the USA (aside from the obvious Borax transportation)?

I have yet to paint it, but if I had a direction of where it will be used, it will help with the finishing process.

Thanks in advance.

I thought, since I am an old fart, some may not know WHAT I am talking about when I say "20 Mule Team", so I have included a photo of the project.  Perry British artillerists are placed next to it for scale.  The rear wheel on the water tank is the same size as a 28mm artillery piece.  Yes, I know they look large, but they WERE large.  Thanks again.

Offline princeman

• Librarian
Re: Death Valley-Twenty Mule Team
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 07:53:16 PM »
OMG! My mother bought one of those kits back in the 60's because she loved Westerns. It never was built and I do not remember what happened to it. As far as how to use it, I would say South Africa for hauling supplies and the same in North Africa for water and equipment. You could construct it to be used as one unit all strung together or as three separate wagons.
A man aughta do what he thinks is best.

Offline bulldogger2000

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 03:10:26 PM »
OMG! My mother bought one of those kits back in the 60's because she loved Westerns. It never was built and I do not remember what happened to it. As far as how to use it, I would say South Africa for hauling supplies and the same in North Africa for water and equipment. You could construct it to be used as one unit all strung together or as three separate wagons.

From looking at the listings on Ebay, it would appear that your mother was not the only one that purchased it, and then never put it together.  I picked up a second one, just recently, still in the box and unfinished for $20. 
I was thinking that South Africa would be the most likely location for using it.  Thanks for your input.  Much appreciated!

Online Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 06:10:35 PM »
Maybe for the Boers moving in land that ends up with them fighting the zulus?
They would use wagons and corral them for protection.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 07:06:51 PM »
It's a good idea, but the only problem is the Boer wagons of the Great Trek didn't really look like those models. They were much more like the prairie schooners you see American settlers using in Western movies.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Bashytubits

• Student
  • Wargamer and amateur historian
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 08:23:53 AM »
Oh wow, I had that kit when I was a kid and even built it. My siblings made sure it went away though. I believe you can still buy that kit from the gift store in death valley.