Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:25:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686499
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: “Not A Tanker?” A 6mm Sci-Fi Adaptation...  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
“Not A Tanker?” A 6mm Sci-Fi Adaptation...
« on: May 15, 2021, 07:50:48 PM »
An adaptation of (not surprisingly perhaps) the Lardy game “What A Tanker” for the discerning 6mm Sci-Fi fan:

http://brigademodels.co.uk/mws/blog/

« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 08:26:51 PM by Commander Roj »

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Re: “Not A Tanker?” A 6mm Sci-Fi Adaptation...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 02:41:57 PM »
Sounds like a great idea!

I like it.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 07:24:43 PM »
Thanks Mako. I am continuing to develop it and will post up a report in due course. I had another game on Thursday with cards and some other ideas. A few wrinkles to iron out, but it shows promise.

Offline Evil Dave

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 01:10:45 PM »
We've played Wanker about a dozen times, locally, and have kicked around the idea of a 6mm sci-fi version. Glad we're not the only ones. Did you magnetize the turrets?

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 03:18:36 PM »
Hi Evil Dave! It was a bit lonely here with just myself and Mako! I didn’t magnetise the turrets as these were built and painted a while ago...possibly even the last century! Not a bad idea at all though. However, I must admit that I didn’t stick religiously to the rules as written (partly because I didn’t re-read and made some mistakes) For example, I didn’t use the 6=a movement roll as the grav tank concept seemed more like aircraft that aren’t going to encounter difficult going like a ground vehicle. I would for those.

I forgot about turret movement, but I would be tempted to leave out anyway as a fast traverse/ auto unmanned turret. Variations are bound to be “to taste” to simulate what the individual wants from a sci-fi game.

I had a second game (or part of one...) More to come soon.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 07:11:44 PM by Commander Roj »

Offline Evil Dave

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 04:57:41 PM »
That's a good point on the turret traverse rates. I'd also suppose that moving wouldn't take awake aimed either given modern+ guidance systems.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 07:16:11 PM »
I didn’t take any accuracy away for movement, but with grav vehicles it might be very high speed indeed. With hovercraft it could be quite fast and a bit rough. I think it is relative. Write what you like or seems to add flavour into a scenario. For example, I was thinking for adding in the potential for crashes at very high speed over some terrain types.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 07:35:46 PM by Commander Roj »

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 07:50:19 PM »
I didn’t take any accuracy away for movement, but with grav vehicles it might be very high speed indeed. With hovercraft it could be quite fast and a bit rough. I think it is relative. Write what you like or seems to add flavour into a scenario. For example, I was thinking for adding in the potential for crashes at very high speed over some terrain types.

That would be in keeping with the old FASA Renegade Legion Centurion rules, where terrain had varying "safe speeds" for grav vehicles and if you pushed the throttle too hard you'd rip yourself apart from collisions with inclines, trees, etc.  They also had the option to "fly high" and ignore terrain for both movement and drawing line of sight, with the drawback of being visible to everyone on the table and catching incoming fire on your belly where penetrating shots were more likely to knock out your grav drive - and that while flying far above the ground.  :)

The game was a bit fiddly, but had good ideas to mine and streamline.

Offline Evil Dave

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 08:05:02 PM »
Centurion was good fun. I remember my cousin slugging away at my armor, only to have my pivot my tank and let him start fresh on the untouched side. :P

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 09:48:05 PM »
That would be in keeping with the old FASA Renegade Legion Centurion rules, where terrain had varying "safe speeds" for grav vehicles and if you pushed the throttle too hard you'd rip yourself apart from collisions with inclines, trees, etc.  They also had the option to "fly high" and ignore terrain for both movement and drawing line of sight, with the drawback of being visible to everyone on the table and catching incoming fire on your belly where penetrating shots were more likely to knock out your grav drive - and that while flying far above the ground.  :)

The game was a bit fiddly, but had good ideas to mine and streamline.

I don’t know much about Centurion, although I had RL Leviathan. That was a bit complex too. Those ground effects are what I was thinking of, although I baulk at anything that isn’t “skimming” the surface. Pop ups, yes; flying, not for me although it fits in some backgrounds admittedly.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 04:07:46 AM »
I like the high-flying idea too, permitting the vehicles to move double to triple the speeds of vehicles closer to the ground.

It's great for surprising the enemy, though as mentioned, everyone gets to see and shoot at you too.

Definitely a must for urgent, orbital insertions on a defended location, though most of the time I suspect the commanders will prefer to do that on the other side of a planet, out of range of defensive fire, and then move in at low altitude.

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 12:25:58 PM »
I like the high-flying idea too, permitting the vehicles to move double to triple the speeds of vehicles closer to the ground.

It's great for surprising the enemy, though as mentioned, everyone gets to see and shoot at you too.

Definitely a must for urgent, orbital insertions on a defended location, though most of the time I suspect the commanders will prefer to do that on the other side of a planet, out of range of defensive fire, and then move in at low altitude.

That's the other good thing about "high grav" rules, it lets you play those high-risk hot-drop assaults for the times when the attacker can't take the time to do things more safely.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 01:06:43 PM »
Another report coming soon.

Unfortunately I can’t seem to post any photos at the moment. Not sure why...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 02:09:11 PM by Commander Roj »

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2021, 12:02:54 PM »
More Grav and hover action here:

http://brigademodels.co.uk/mws/blog/

Hopefully I can work out how I posted pictures direct to Lead Adventure in the first place soon.

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2021, 12:37:06 PM »
Right click on image, select copy image address, open new post here on LAF, click on insert image tool at extreme left of tool bar, paste the addy you just copied between the html brackets, done.

Sounds interesting, and sure looks good.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 12:40:04 PM by Chief Lackey Rich »