Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:56:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Running Through the Jungle with Hammertime - Updated 5.2.2022  (Read 11119 times)

Offline Hammertime

• Assistant
Re: Running Through the Jungle with Hammertime
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2021, 03:52:05 PM »
Brilliant report , Love the explosion/ napalm markers. :-*

Poor Ralph  :o

However I am left with the vision of you running around the room with a model plan on a selfie stick  lol

Thanks, Paul! The Napalm markers are from Bud's Blast Markers. I would heartily recommend them. Also, don't forget the jet noises and "whooshes" as I fly around the room!

Asa I am intending to use the rules ,too. Could you elaborate a bit more on the tokens you use . Especially how you use them for mortarfire or air support?

So for the tokens, I have a token for each leader, fireteam, weapons team, and off-table assets (artillery, air support, etc.) Each token has either a US or NVA flag on the back.

Before a game, I make sure each unit has a token and drop them into my canteen cup and will pull one token at a time for the rest of the game. Pulling a team token (ex: US - 1st Squad, A Team) gives 1st Squad's A Team a turn to move, shoot, take cover, etc. On the team is complete, the token is placed on the board next to them signifying their move is over. For a leader's token (ex: PL / 1SL), that gives the specified leader a turn to move, shoot, or order any team  from their squad who has not moved to complete their action at the same time. For example, if I pull the token for 2nd Squad Leader, he can order his entire squad to take their turn with him. The squad leaders can only give orders to their own squads, while the PL / PSG can give orders to any squad.

The off-table tokens represent mortars, artillery, smoke, or air support becoming available. Once pulled, any leader who has yet to take their action (and has an accompanying RTO) can attempt to call in indirect fire / air support. This adds a bit of random chance to when indirect fire / air assets become available and would stop one side from calling artillery in every turn. These also aren't forced to be used and can be set aside when drawn. I put limits on the number of times these tokens can be played (ex: the air support token is removed after an airstrike is called in, while an artillery token is removed after 1+ fire missions).

There are a few tokens that would be represented by Jokers in a playing card deck. These are the booby trap and end turn token. The booby trap token makes a booby trap attack a random US soldier who first has a chance to spot and avoid the booby trap per the rules in the book. If the spotting test is failed, the soldier triggers the trap. I remove the booby trap token from the game once a booby trap (or two) are triggered, as I don't want the US player to hit a booby trap every turn.

The end turn token ends the current turn regardless of units that have yet to move. All of the tokens on the board are returned to the canteen cup, shaken around, and the drawing for the next turn begins.

Hope this helps!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 02:35:11 AM by Hammertime »

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
Re: Running Through the Jungle with Hammer
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2021, 05:15:37 PM »
Hi Hammer,

Thanks for picking up a copy of the rules (I'm the author) and excellent battle reports and photographs.

Would you be willing to post these to Facebook on the current page please? https://www.facebook.com/The-Nam-The-Way-It-Was-102385661909183

I'm still prepping to start work on 'Falling Dominoes', the first supplement, but have been caught up in other things. Basically, I'll be focussing on the ANZACs, South Koreans and Royal Thai Army as new forces to be used, plus a little on the Hill Tribesmen (Montgards) who fought the North and a quick pass on Cambodia. I'll also be adding new Helo Operations rules, dabbling with rules for the Riverine Forces and some more scenarios, some of which will be inspired by real actions.

I've decided that the French Indo-Chine War and Britain's 1945 Vietnam War would probably be better off having their own supplement, but will see how things progress.

Meantime, I've become fascinated by the ARVN and the early part of the American War, so I'm hoping that Empress will be releasing plenty of US Marines with M14's soon, especially as I'm having a re-think on the combat performance of the M14, M16, M1 Garand and the other weapons used. As I also now own a miniatures company, I'm thinking of offering some unique sculpts based upon one of the first inspirations for my interest in the wars in Vietnam.

Thanks for the AARs, and let's hope enough of the Grunts survive their Tour of Duty in one piece to make it back to The World!
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2021, 12:54:38 AM »
The Nam rules sound very interesting.
Where can one pick up a copy?
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Hammertime

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2021, 02:01:31 AM »
Grimjack - thanks for making such great rules! I have had a blast every time I've played!

Marine - I picked the rules up from On Military Matters from the US: https://onmilitarymatters.com/dfcatalog.php?period=0900

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2021, 08:00:49 AM »
Hammer thanks for explaining your tokens. That is a wonderful idea to use instead of playing cards. I will try that out myself.

Grimjack. Could you make your future figure line compatible with the Empress one? That would be great. I am really looking foreward to the new Helo rules in the supplement.
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2021, 08:42:10 AM »
Thanks, Paul! The Napalm markers are from Bud's Blast Markers. I would heartily recommend them. Also, don't forget the jet noises and "whooshes" as I fly around the room!

Once got caught doing that by the wife. I got a weird stare. They just do not understand  >:D

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2021, 01:28:12 PM »
Hammer thanks for explaining your tokens. That is a wonderful idea to use instead of playing cards. I will try that out myself.

Yes - thanks for that explanation.  I may be forced to steal your idea for the all of Grimjack's rules that I play.  Speaking of which:

Grimjack - thanks for making such great rules! I have had a blast every time I've played!

Ditto from me!

"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2021, 03:17:32 AM »
Hammers,
Thanks for the information on ordering the rules.
I ordered them this evening.

Offline Hammertime

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2021, 01:20:33 AM »
Hammers,
Thanks for the information on ordering the rules.
I ordered them this evening.

You won't regret it!

Yes - thanks for that explanation.  I may be forced to steal your idea for the all of Grimjack's rules that I play. 

Steal away!

Grimjack. Could you make your future figure line compatible with the Empress one? That would be great. I am really looking foreward to the new Helo rules in the supplement.

Same here! I would LOVE some additional leader poses for both the NVA and US!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 02:35:39 AM by Hammertime »

Offline Hammertime

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2021, 02:34:53 AM »
After consolidating into their night defensive position (NDP) following Mission 2, 3rd platoon receives a new tasking:

MISSION 3
3rd Platoon, B Company will conduct a squad-level ambush in the vicinity of An Loc Dong in order to interdict enemy movement. 2LT Shull has tasked 2nd Squad with the ambush, and will accompany SSG Panza with the medic and an M60 team. SFC Stevenson and the balance of 3rd Platoon will remain in their NDP.

I decided to change things up on this mission and use just a reinforced squad instead of a platoon. This will let me play more on an individual-basis and give me an excuse to create some more tokens.

The above rosters show the soldier, his quality, his shoot value, his defend value, his morale, his weapon, and any special add-ons. I went a little grenade-happy with the Americans, and this would later prove to be a bad idea.

2nd Squad gets in position along a trail leading into the village. SSG Wallace sets a claymore (red square). It isn't long before 2nd Squad hears the sounds of movement.

A reinforced NVA squad is moving down the trail towards An Loc Dong.

Picking up the detonator, 2LT Shull blows the claymore and starts the ambush.

(Instead of drawing a token after each activation, I decided to give all of the US troops 1 free activation as their ambush action. The standard turn order will restart after the opening salvo).

The claymore (the red d4) goes off and kills 1 NVA infantryman and wounds a second.

On the right flank, SPC Baldwin throws a grenade at the NVA Point Element and kills one. SGT Miller's shots are ineffective. Nelson opens up with his M60 and wounds two NVA, one of whom is carrying an RPD.

SSG Panza throws a grenade and kills two more NVA, including the RPG gunner

On the left flank, SGT Clock and PFC Bonilla are able to kill one of the NVA Trail Element.

The first onslaught of US fire is deadly and sees 5 NVA KIA, 3 NVA WIA, and a number of NVA suppressed.

The first token pulled following the ambush is for PFC Allen who promptly guns down the NVA survivor of the trail element.

Following up on the success of the claymore, 2LT Shull takes out his grenade, pulls the pin, and throws it towards the NVA Squad Leader. However, he fails to check for overhead obstruction. The grenade bounces off a branch and lands at his feet where it explodes, sending shrapnel into the lieutenant's chest and SPC Dooley's lower left leg. The RTO, SPC Kauffman, is unhurt but suppressed.

(I have been lucky so far with my area fire weapons and have not had any catastrophic misses. My luck must have run out. In order to throw a grenade you take 2LT Shull's shoot value (d8) and roll it against the defender's d8. If 2LT Shull's roll would be higher than the NVA Squad Leader, the grenade would have been on target. In this case, the NVA Squad Leader won the roll, making the grenade scatter d8 inches in a random direction. Naturally the scatter was directly back at 2LT Shull and I rolled 5'' - making the grenade land almost in his lap. Oops.)

Enraged by the botched grenade, SPC Baldwin charges from cover and subdues the surviving NVA point man in hand to hand combat.

The NVA Squad Leader then activates and takes cover behind the paddy dike. He then readies his one grenade and throws it at SPC Nelson and the M60 team.

His aim is off, and the grenade goes wide to the right landing next to the wounded SPC Dooley. The ensuing blast sends shrapnel into the medic's chest, killing him.

In an act of revenge, PFC Allen then moves onto the road and throws a grenade at an SKS-armed NVA infantryman behind the paddy dike. In his haste, he miss-judges the throw, and the grenade lands at the feet of the NVA MMG team. The ensuing blast kills the NVA RTO.

Recovering from the multiple grenade blasts, SPC Kauffman blasts the M79-armed NVA with his shotgun, taking him out of the fight.

At this point, 2nd Squad begins to advance into the road to hunt down any surviving NVA.

SPC Baldwin, continuing his one-man assault, fires his M79 at the NVA Squad Leader behind the paddy dike. The 40mm grenade is on target and kills the NVA Squad Leader.

With this last act, the few surviving NVA fade away into the jungle.

This mission was a blast to play. In hindsight, I should have had some NVA reinforcements arrive, or given the Americans a set number of activations instead of the entire squad firing off on the first ambush round. The NVA really had no chance to respond after the opening salvo. If it wasn't for 2LT Shull's botched grenade throw, the end result would have been even more in favor of the Americans.

The final results:
US - 1 KIA (SPC Dooley)
     - 1 WIA (2LT Shull) - moderate wound, will return after 2 missions

NVA - 8 KIA
       - 7 W/C
       - 1 C

2nd Squad itself is unscathed, but the platoon headquarters will need some reorganization.

With the platoon leader out of action for 2 missions, SFC Stevenson will become the acting platoon leader, while SSG Wallace will become the acting PSG. His first action as acting platoon sergeant will be to contact Bravo 6 and request a new medic to replace SPC Dooley.

On the painting front I have almost finished a batch of US infantry replacements (I currently have just about enough for two full-strength US infantry platoons with no signs of stopping). I received an order for Vietnamese hooches from Paint and Glue Miniatures (https://www.paintandglue.co.uk/vietnam - excellent service, would recommend), and my foxholes came from Ironclad Miniatures (https://www.ironcladminiatures.co.uk/ourshop/cat_870021-Field-Positions-28mm.html - again, excellent and would recommend).

Once those are all painted I will start some work on some hills for 3rd Platoon and the NVA to fight over in the future.

Finally, the current 3rd Platoon roster:

Thanks for reading!

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2021, 12:56:45 PM »
Very nice new AAR. Reflects the feel of the rulesery well!

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2021, 06:23:30 AM »
Excellent AAR, thanks for sharing.

Really impressed by the terrain as well, especially those paddy fields

:)

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2021, 07:16:14 AM »
Superb stuff buddy 👏

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2021, 07:37:49 AM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-*

Love how the NVA officer is the first to go into cover  lol

Offline Oldgamer

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 04:32:42 PM »
Thanks for the great battle reports and inspirational photos, do you make the counters yourself or have them custom made?