Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 01:22:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686725
  • Total Topics: 118126
  • Online Today: 500
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Running Through the Jungle with Hammertime - Updated 5.2.2022  (Read 11139 times)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: Running Through the Jungle with Hammertime - Mission 4, page 3
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2021, 03:38:55 PM »
Great report again.  Seems like good ol' 3rd Platoon has seen the elephant for sure now! :o
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2021, 10:29:45 AM »
great report

love the  napalm markers - any advice on recreation would be appreciated - would make a great smoke grenade effect

Offline Hammertime

• Assistant
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2021, 05:51:41 PM »
Ugh, that was a meat grinder.

I agree. Naming the soldiers may have been a mistake. I'm getting attached to them.

great report

love the  napalm markers - any advice on recreation would be appreciated - would make a great smoke grenade effect

I can't take credit for making them. I picked them up from Bud's Blast Markers here: https://www.budsblastmarkers.com/product-page/napalm-explosion-with-fiber-optics

Great report again.  Seems like good ol' 3rd Platoon has seen the elephant for sure now! :o

They've seen multiple elephants at this point!

Lovely report again! Makes me want to try a game !
One question, why has your platoon only 2 fireteams per squad ? Is that an airborne thing?
When using a blooper gun does that count against the numbers of grenades you are allowed to use during the game? Or can you shoot the M79 as often as you like?

The US Army differs from the USMC where Army squads are divided into 2 fireteams. USMC squads are organized into 3 fireteams.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2021, 09:17:08 PM »

The US Army differs from the USMC where Army squads are divided into 2 fireteams. USMC squads are organized into 3 fireteams.

Yup.  The other difference is their different fire team concepts.  The Marines had a SL and 3 formally organized fire teams, each with its own leader who reported to the SL. The Army split the squad in 2, with the SL taking 1/2, and the ASL taking the other 1/2.  And squad and platoon leaders didn't always follow that organization, though, depending on the tactical situation and their units' SOPs.

The Army did countless studies after WW2 on how to organize its rifle platoons and squads.  In spite of some of the studies recommending it (as well as recommending M60 MGs being part of the squad TO&E), t took until the mid-80s and the adoption of the M249 SAW for the Army to adopt formal fire teams a la the Marines, and then each squad only had 2 teams.

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2021, 07:50:58 AM »

The Army did countless studies after WW2 on how to organize its rifle platoons and squads.  In spite of some of the studies recommending it (as well as recommending M60 MGs being part of the squad TO&E), t took until the mid-80s and the adoption of the M249 SAW for the Army to adopt formal fire teams a la the Marines, and then each squad only had 2 teams.

Its an ammunition thing. The M60 could burn through a serious amount of ammo ( based on the MG42) which was a huge issue when tramping through the jungle. In the army they had one per section and spread the belts around. The Marines held them as a company asset so that they could place them in the best positions. Also remember that they also used M14/16's on full auto which were the 'fireteam LMG weapons'. However these proved unsatisfactory and by 1968 were fading away. 

All armies go through these theories which become battle practised. Some work some do not. All decided by many considerations other than pure fire power.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2021, 02:21:10 PM »
Also remember that they also used M14/16's on full auto which were the 'fireteam LMG weapons'. However these proved unsatisfactory and by 1968 were fading away. 

I've never fired a full auto M14.  But you haven't lived until you've melted down the gas tube and/or barrel of an M16 firing full auto.  They get a might warmish... :o 

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2021, 12:51:34 AM »
Great battle reports Hammertime! Giving the figures names really has a nice effect of "such and such got hit", rather than "we took two casualties." I think it adds to your enjoyment and certainly does to your reader's!

Is the rules set designed to be solo? It seems to be that you are playing it that way. Or is it designed to have player(s) for each side? Just curious...

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2021, 08:02:19 AM »
It is designed for two or more players. But I think the concept lends itself well for solo gaming.
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2021, 09:33:41 AM »
I read that the rules also have in-between mission events. Have you been trying them out? Or am I mistaken?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2021, 11:25:40 AM »
Finally had time to read the AAR.
What a great one. :-*
Lovely photos and great story telling.
Thanks.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Hammertime

• Assistant
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2021, 12:53:34 PM »
Great battle reports Hammertime! Giving the figures names really has a nice effect of "such and such got hit", rather than "we took two casualties." I think it adds to your enjoyment and certainly does to your reader's!

Is the rules set designed to be solo? It seems to be that you are playing it that way. Or is it designed to have player(s) for each side? Just curious...

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Thanks! I feel like adding names to the figures helps to keep some continuity between games. I named them after friends, coworkers, and movie / book characters so I'm attached!

Like Tomrommel1 said, the rules are intended for 2+ players, but using the random activation it works pretty well solo.

I read that the rules also have in-between mission events. Have you been trying them out? Or am I mistaken?

No between-mission events, unfortunately. Maybe in the upcoming expansion that adds free-world-forces? I think Warwick Kinrade's 'Nam 68 rules are supposed to have some between mission events.

Finally had time to read the AAR.
What a great one. :-*
Lovely photos and great story telling.
Thanks.

Thanks! I'm working on Mission 5 and will have it posted in the near future!

Offline Hammertime

• Assistant
Re: Running Through the Jungle with Hammertime
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2021, 01:44:23 AM »
And we're back!

My wife gave me a very nice Father's Day present and agreed to take command of 3rd Platoon for Mission 5.

Before we begin I finished my M48A3 from Empress Miniatures. Lovely little tank and a joy to paint!

Previously, 3rd Platoon tried to secure Objective HAMMER but was unsuccessful after suffering heavy casualties. Seeing the opposition, 3rd Platoon has had an M48 (Deuces) attached for some additional firepower.

MISSION 5
3rd Platoon, B Company will again attack and secure Objective HAMMER.

3rd Platoon's attack starts with SFC Stevenson leading the Platoon HQ forward towards Objective Hammer

This movement draws an immediate response from the NVA, who open up from the old foxholes on Objective Hammer.

Caught in the open of the rice paddy, PFC Garcia is hit in the right upper leg and wounded.

In revenge, CPL Metzger, the attached FO, calls in some fixed-wing support and has a Skyhawk drop a load of napalm directly on the NVA fireteam.

Once the jet is gone, the sounds of an NVA mortar launching can be heard from the jungle.

The mortar round lands right on top of M60 Team A, but through a sheer stroke of luck neither American is hit.

Seeing the Platoon HQ leading the way, 1st Squad also advances into the rice paddy heading towards the objective.

3rd Squad also starts to advance, but SPC Miles fails to see a booby trap buried in the paddy dike and sets off a massive explosion.

SPC Miles and SSG Workman are both killed in the blast, while PFC Ward is suppressed.

As the M48A3 "Deuces" clanks down the dirt road towards the objective, CPL Metzger calls in a mortar barrage on the NVA Mortar team, knocking both the gun and crew out of action.

Even with the losses in 3rd Squad, 3rd Platoon is determined to take Objective Hammer and continues to advance.

However, "Deuces" advances too far beyond the accompanying infantry and is engaged by an NVA RPG team.

The RPG is on target and blows the left track off the tank. "Deuces" is going nowhere.

The RPG team doesn't get a chance to fire again, as SSG Wallace calls an artillery barrage on them and wipes the team out.

Sensing that the NVA are starting to crack, SFC Stevenson jumps to his feet and with a resounding cry ("Come on you apes, you want to live forever!?") advances towards the objective again. PFC Maxwell, motivated beyond belief jumps up to follow him and trips another booby trap.

When the dust clears, PFC Maxwell is suppressed, while SFC Stevenson is killed.

One final gunshot rings out as an NVA sniper takes aim at SSG Wallace, but the shot goes wide and the NVA platoon abandons the objective.

3rd Platoon has taken and secured Objective Hammer, but the victory came at a cost. Again, US supporting arms made all the difference. I don't think a single American infantryman fired his weapon. Overall, the wife did an adequate job commanding 3rd Platoon.

After reorganizing, 3rd Platoon is as follows:

2LT Shull has returned from his (self-inflicted) grenade wounds, while PFC Binning is back in 1st Squad.
SSG Wallace stays as the platoon sergeant, while SGT Skonieczny takes over as the 3rd squad leader.

3rd Platoon is now heading back to FSB Slayer where it will meet up with some replacements.

Thanks for reading!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Running Through the Jungle with Hammertime - Updated 7.3.2021
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2021, 03:50:13 PM »
Another great report.  But 3rd Platoon is sure getting ground down...

And three cheers to the Mrs. for enabling your habit... :D

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2021, 06:39:26 PM »
Loving this thread Jimbo, you are smashing it mate

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2021, 09:22:03 PM »
Loving this thread Jimbo, you are smashing it mate

Another Jim?  Very good!  As we used to say when playtesting for Force on force, you can't have too many Jims... ;)