Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:05:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Super Mission Force (2nd Ed.) Question: Excess Damage and KOs  (Read 998 times)

Offline pahoota

• Assistant
  • Spaghetti Spaceships!
    • Solipsist Gaming: Solo rules and scratchbuilding
I have a question regarding Excess Damage and KOs in SMF2.  Apologies if this is in the rulebook and I just missed it.

If a character takes more damage than it has boxes remaining, is the excess damage lost, or is it an auto-KO?

According to the rules the KO check is made when (paraphrasing) damage forces one to mark off the last Body or Psyche box on the track.  Any further damage on the same track results in an automatic KO with no dice roll.

In my current battle, one of my heroes just slammed into the villainous frog alien doing 9 Body (!!).  The villain only has a 5 Body track.  So since the damage comes from a single source, does it all count as "marking off the last box", resulting in the bad guy getting a KO check?  Or do the 4 excess damage points count as "further damage" and result in an auto KO?

Thanks!

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
Re: Super Mission Force (2nd Ed.) Question: Excess Damage and KOs
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 03:59:07 PM »
I have a question regarding Excess Damage and KOs in SMF2.  Apologies if this is in the rulebook and I just missed it.

If a character takes more damage than it has boxes remaining, is the excess damage lost, or is it an auto-KO?

Any excess damage is lost.

According to the rules the KO check is made when (paraphrasing) damage forces one to mark off the last Body or Psyche box on the track.  Any further damage on the same track results in an automatic KO with no dice roll.

In my current battle, one of my heroes just slammed into the villainous frog alien doing 9 Body (!!).  The villain only has a 5 Body track.  So since the damage comes from a single source, does it all count as "marking off the last box", resulting in the bad guy getting a KO check?  Or do the 4 excess damage points count as "further damage" and result in an auto KO?

Thanks!

Yes, it all counts as one source, and the excess is lost. If the character makes his KO check, but suffers damage on the same track (even a single point) from a subsequent attack, they are taken out.

Hope this helps!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline pahoota

• Assistant
  • Spaghetti Spaceships!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 10:48:26 PM »
Yes, that helps a lot; thanks for the quick reply!

A very satisfying ruling as well, as it means the alien mentalist villain gets to attempt his KO check... and makes it!  Even with 18 inches of knock-back, I still give him the chance to grab the edge of the building (playing Rooftop Rumble).  He makes that roll too!  His eyes glow as he activates his dreaded Mind Control power...

Things just got a lot more interesting for our heroes.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 01:01:42 PM »
Yes, that helps a lot; thanks for the quick reply!

A very satisfying ruling as well, as it means the alien mentalist villain gets to attempt his KO check... and makes it!  Even with 18 inches of knock-back, I still give him the chance to grab the edge of the building (playing Rooftop Rumble).  He makes that roll too!  His eyes glow as he activates his dreaded Mind Control power...

Things just got a lot more interesting for our heroes.

I would buy that comic!

Offline pahoota

• Assistant
  • Spaghetti Spaceships!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 08:37:09 PM »
I would buy that comic!

Tell me about it!  The emergent narrative is what makes SMF2 so great.

If anyone wants to know how this fight turned out, I captured the blow-by-blow on my blog(LINK).  My photography skills suck and it's quite a long post so if you don't want to wade through it I don't blame you.  Spoiler alert: the heroes shrug off the Mind Control attempt and send the alien frogman plummeting to the streets below!