Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:43:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Science Fiction Jeeps and other lighter vehichles.  (Read 5701 times)

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Science Fiction Jeeps and other lighter vehichles.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 08:10:42 PM »
That hummingbird does look good.

-Michael

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 09:04:49 PM »
Interesting, williamb.  I don't know how paper models would mix with plastic and resin kits, but it would be interesting as an experiment.  Might be useful for some wrecks as terrain features, if nothing else.  And I do like the little tent thingie!

-Michael

They work together quite well.  I have a mix of cardstock, metal, and scratch built terrain.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2021, 10:12:39 PM »
That table looks pretty good!

-Michael

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2021, 02:33:49 PM »
Miniature Scenery has a wide range of vehicles - civilian, military and wastelands.  I especially like the tactical response vehicles.  But the school bus calls out for its own scenario, doesn't it?  Thanks, shadowbeast, for that link. It is another company I had not heard of.

We do not have a 3D printer, but it is growing increasingly tempting.  Perhaps when we have caught up a bit on our backlog of unpainted fantasy terrain. We are hoping to return to our weekly Friday night RPG session with friends in August, which may spur us back to the terrain painting table.

-Michael

Offline williamb

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2021, 05:59:26 PM »
Interesting, williamb.  I don't know how paper models would mix with plastic and resin kits, but it would be interesting as an experiment.  Might be useful for some wrecks as terrain features, if nothing else.  And I do like the little tent thingie!

-Michael

I have some plaster buildings and a plaster 12 inch diameter drop ship that bought at a local convention many years ago that I use with the paper buildings, I don't have any resin buildings.  Way too expensive and too much weight to transport to conventions.   The paper buildings I have a re a mix of the free ones, Worldworks games Mars station, PaperTerrain, and others from Wargames Vault.   The parts from the Wargame Vault, Worldworks and PaperTerrain sets can be combined with other parts from the same company's sets to create different sized buildings.  Except for the two styrofoam cones, all the buildings and vehicles in this picture are paper.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 06:01:16 PM by williamb »

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2021, 06:12:23 PM »
The Dougram Native Dancer is my favourite.  This kit is currently OOP, but could probably be tracked down: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10360663

Nice 1/285 model at Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/product/YQPJNMM6X/6mm-bromely-recce-vehicle-12pcs

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2021, 06:19:40 PM »
Nice looking table, William!

I like that Native Dancer, Cat.  Might be a bit too small to fit in... although as I said, I am not extremely fussed with small scale differences.

I just realized in the original post I never specified the scale!  I am looking for vehicles to go with 28 to 33 mm figures.

-Michael

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2021, 07:33:41 PM »
This is a bit mean, as it's no longer available, but the Cobra APC from Anvil Industry is worth a look if you can track one down - https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/Cobra-APC

My one comment on it is that they'd 3d-printed the master, made a mould, then cast in resin. The issue is that the print lines from the 3d print were still visible on the resin cast. Still, they largely disappear once they're painted.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2021, 01:55:17 AM »
Thanks, zemjw.  As it turns out, there are none on eBay at the moment, either.  I do like it.

I have just discovered Crooked Dice makes some vehicles in their Post-Apoc range.  I like them, although like the Ramshackle games models they seem better suited for civilians than military units.  Hopefully I will get to the civvies eventually.

-Michael

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2021, 02:03:55 AM »
Oh, also have a look at Crooked Dice's Fruit Loops, and the ARC Buggy:
https://crooked-dice.co.uk/product/fruit-loops/
https://crooked-dice.co.uk/product/arc-buggy/

The actual Banana Buggies were modified Amphicat six-wheel drive all-terrain buggies.  The Amphicat was also used as the moon buggy in Space 1999, and in an episode of Blake's 7.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 02:06:39 AM by Cat »

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2021, 02:14:00 PM »
Interesting, Cat.  Not sure what I would do with the fuzzy drivers, but something could probably be worked out...

-Michael

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2021, 07:39:35 PM »
Watcorp Designs are currently a KS for files/physical prints of a whole series of space land rovers: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/watcorpdesigns/terra-ranger?ref=profile_created

Also, Empress Miniatures do a range of modern vehicles that could be plausibly sci-fi (I've got a Gaz Tiger I'll use for my space cops when I finally get around to building/painting them): https://www.empressminiatures.com/vehicles-41-c.asp
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 37  Figures Painted: 6
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2021, 08:40:32 PM »
Thanks, Genghis.  I had no idea Empress had so many modern vehicles.  As you say, some would certainly lend themselves to being futurized.

I was forced to back that Kickstarter (for physical copies), so thanks for that link.

-Michael

Offline sykoholic

• Bookworm
  • Part Evil Genius, Part Village Idiot
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2021, 03:31:36 AM »

3Fingers2, good suggestion.  I have seen pictures of such conversions in days of yore, and they looked good.  I may have a land speeder or two unbuilt around here.  I am not sure if my modeling skills are up to it, though. The one land speeder I did assemble I remember having trouble with – did I mention I’m not very experienced with this sort of model?!  Although I have done several of the basic GW Imperial Guard tanks that went together with a minimum of cursing.

Not my work but I thought you might find it handy.
"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien