Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:38:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: FPW French Artillery  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
Re: FPW French Artillery
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 11:41:11 AM »
Really lovely work.  :-*  The only thing I find slightly awkward with the figures though are the size and shape of the blanket rolls unfortunately, they rather remind me of inflated inner tubes every time I look at them. I think I'd be filing them down a wee bit if I could. I do think the Foundry figures blankets look better IMO. Wouldn't gunners have removed awkward things like blanket rolls when they were in action anyway, surely they'd hamper your movements especially if you were bending up and down?

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 12:14:31 PM »
They are so beautifully painted !! i can't wait to paint them too!

Councerning the "blankets", 1870 french soldiers never used this type of dressing their blankets around the shoulder .

In fact, It is their  coats, or "capote",  that they dressed like that. So they should be dark blue instead of "grey" (french blankets color is a kind of brownish grey)

best regards
Paco

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 12:46:54 PM »
Thanks Volleyfire and Paco!! :)

Thanks Paco for the info, but I have used a picture of a painting as a reference and come the blankets rolled  the shoulder in gray   :-I

Saludos
Rafa

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 03:08:55 PM »

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 06:57:24 PM »
Great painting of great figures

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 01:54:56 PM »
Thanks !! :)

Saludos
Rafa

Offline John Boadle

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 01:36:18 AM »
Very handsome figures, and your painting does justice to the guns too, for which I had the pleasure of sculpting the master models for Michael Perry a few months back. (A mitrailleuse and a Prussian 4-pounder are also with Michael and he's sculpting crews for imminent release.)

The rolled greatcoats were actually the same colour as those of the French infantry. ie a dark blue-grey. Officially this colour was described as "blue-ish iron grey", and it was woven from 90% indigo blue threads and 10% in the beige of undyed wool. The result appeared somewhat more blue than grey, but still distinct from the dark blue of other uniform items.

The wood of the guns was no longer painted in the yellowish olive colour we all know from the First Empire. By this time it was what I'd call bronze green, ie a dark green with a touch of olive. The way you've done them looks close. The same paint was used for the wooden parts of gun tools such as the ramrod and trail-spike, strictly speaking.

But never mind any nit-picking comments, you've done a lovely job on these, Rafa!

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 05:14:28 AM »
beautiful, the vibrancy of the red is  impressive as I am guessing it was laid onto a darker colour.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 07:42:33 AM »
Fantastic brush work.

I am really looking forward to the Perry releases,  as soon as I complete my Napoleonic Austrians, FPW will be my new period. We have two battlefields within a hour of us and a large number of skirmishes, so they will be added to our “Walk the battlefield in the morning Wargame in the afternoon” tours and Wargame.

Cheers
Matt

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 12:45:30 PM »
Very handsome figures, and your painting does justice to the guns too, for which I had the pleasure of sculpting the master models for Michael Perry a few months back. (A mitrailleuse and a Prussian 4-pounder are also with Michael and he's sculpting crews for imminent release.)

The rolled greatcoats were actually the same colour as those of the French infantry. ie a dark blue-grey. Officially this colour was described as "blue-ish iron grey", and it was woven from 90% indigo blue threads and 10% in the beige of undyed wool. The result appeared somewhat more blue than grey, but still distinct from the dark blue of other uniform items.

The wood of the guns was no longer painted in the yellowish olive colour we all know from the First Empire. By this time it was what I'd call bronze green, ie a dark green with a touch of olive. The way you've done them looks close. The same paint was used for the wooden parts of gun tools such as the ramrod and trail-spike, strictly speaking.

But never mind any nit-picking comments, you've done a lovely job on these, Rafa!

Many thanks for the info John!
I have used the information from a plate that Michael gave me. ::)

Saludos
Rafa

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 12:59:33 PM »

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 07:50:18 AM »
What size bases did you use please?
I have nothing important to say so just keep on scrolling.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2021, 10:42:55 PM »
Wow. They're very nicly done.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/