Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:32:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Stargrave] Solo Rules NPCs soldiers & Pondo-Pondo painted up  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
New post on the blog with painted images and a one-stop list of what you actually need to have available for the possible NPC gangs in the Dead or Alive solo rules.  It's not quite everything - you might still need critters or random soldiers from the Unwanted Attention rules and I still haven't figured out what to do for the actual Marks - but at least it covers the grunts you'll be fighting through to earn your bounties.

https://sanctumreconditesage.blogspot.com/2021/06/stargrave-dead-or-alive-solo-rules.html

Worth noting that doing a set of these gives you enough soldiers to play two regular crews, or a crew and an NPC gang at once - assuming you don't mind slightly limited soldier choices and a distinct lack of loot grabber/hauler types.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 01:27:13 PM by Chief Lackey Rich »

Offline Matty

• Assistant
Re: [Stargrave] Solo Rules NPCs soldiers painted up
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 04:29:41 PM »
Link to blog post?  <<EDIT>>  I found it: https://sanctumreconditesage.blogspot.com/2021/06/stargrave-dead-or-alive-solo-rules.html

So far I built a starting crew to go with the metal miniatures as the various captains/first mates.  I've been trying to figure out what to do with the other 30+ miniatures I have lol.  Looks like a useful list:

4 Recruits
2 Guard Dogs
2 Troopers
3 Sentries
2 Commandoes
1 Pathfinder
2 Snipers
1 Burner
1 Grenadier
1 Gunner
1 Armored Trooper
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 04:38:44 PM by Matty »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 05:02:05 PM »
Those are great- the uniform palette gives consistency but there’s lots of variety in the details, so they also look rag-tag.

I’m planning on doing much the same thing soon, but haven’t taken the plunge yet. Your work is inspiring me to get rolling!

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 05:15:20 PM »
Link to blog post?

Oh yeah, that would help, wouldn't it?  :)

Fixed the original post.

So far I built a starting crew to go with the metal miniatures as the various captains/first mates.  I've been trying to figure out what to do with the other 30+ miniatures I have lol.

Yeah, my officers are coming from pretty much everywhere but the SG plastic kits.  Same for the Marks in Dead Or Alive, they deserve to stand out some.

When you're doing those extra models don't forget to do some for the Unwanted Attention table.  You don't use it all the time but having a handful of ruffians and pirate troopers and a few bounty hunters and shock troopers on hand is pretty close to required.  It's one of the reasons the large figure count on the boxed sets doesn't bother me, they're a nice cheap way to get your "NPC" figs.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 05:22:31 PM by Chief Lackey Rich »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 05:25:56 PM »
Brilliant looking group of minis mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 06:07:29 PM »
Brilliant looking group of minis mate!

Thanks.  They've been kicking my poor crew around pretty handily over the last week, the solo rules make for a pretty tough game when you throw in the complications and "smarten up" the AI a bit.

Normally I'd have done something fancier with the bases but I figured generic black would be more customer-friendly so they could match their existing ground cover style.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 08:40:21 PM »
Great paint-jobs, Rich!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

• Mastermind
Re: [Stargrave] Solo Rules NPCs soldiers & Pondo-Pondo painted
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 01:06:29 PM »
Edited post to add my first Mark proxy - the mysterious alien psionic Pondo-Pondo, way down at the bottom of the post.

https://sanctumreconditesage.blogspot.com/2021/06/stargrave-dead-or-alive-solo-rules.html

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
Re: [Stargrave] Solo Rules NPCs soldiers & Pondo-Pondo painted up
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 10:49:21 AM »
 :D they look great!!!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 04:18:39 PM »
Nice painting and crew.

The extras list is useful (one of the things I liked in the Frostgrave 2 scenarios is a breakdown of the extras needed).

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 05:39:47 PM »
Nice painting and crew.

Thanks.  Reasonably happy with them.  Nicely modular kits, I'll say that for them.  Makes me pine for the days when GW was better about that sort of thing.  Their trek down the push-fit mono-pose trail seems to be accelerating pace steadily, sadly.

The extras list is useful (one of the things I liked in the Frostgrave 2 scenarios is a breakdown of the extras needed).

Yeah, figuring out what you need beyond your crew is a perennial issue with McCullough's games.  You wind up with quite the menagerie of random critters over time, and even then you always seem to wind up rolling something that you don't have enough of or a scenario calls for extras of something you'll have to proxy.  Even that list just covers the possible NPC gang requirements, but thankfully you'll get enough spares to probably cover at least some of the pirates from Unwanted Attention, the odd hostage fig, etc, etc.  One of the settings also winds up needing more Ruffians than usual since they replace any Bounty Hunters or Shock Troopers that the UA chart would normally generate.