Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:58:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690351
  • Total Topics: 118327
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: of the length and breadth of a spearshaft  (Read 2851 times)

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
of the length and breadth of a spearshaft
« on: March 30, 2007, 09:32:31 AM »
well, didn't mean to sound suggestive  :oops:

but i have some Vikings with spears in 28mm from several makers - none of which have spears.  i've since been reading to find a suitable dimension for the them but all references i find are for Greek hoplites and their pikes.

what diameter rod do you (all) use and at what length do they look right to you?

thanks

ralph
\"I drank WHAT!?!\" - Socrates

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 11:41:33 AM »
I´d say it depends on the style of figure, but for historicals, I would not recommend anything thicker than 1mm, 1.5 at the most. The thicker shafts can also be painted with wood grain, which usually looks strange on thinner spears.

On length, I´d say height of figure x 1.5, max. 2 times, and the latter starts looking like a pike... just my opinion, though, and for actual "pike blocks", such as Macedonian phalanx or Renaissance/17th century pike, I´d go for 3-3.5 times the figure´s height.

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:22:10 AM »
well, i plunged in and bought some floral wire from AC Moore, snipped and crimped what i thought was a good length, by eye, more than an actual length and here is what i got:

not bad really.  though in doing so i discovered i had FAR less vikings with spears than originally assumed  :oops:  => 4!!  well at leas i know what's on the shopping list for Historicon   :?

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 09:33:37 AM »
Quote from: "zbyshko"

not bad really.  though in doing so i discovered i had FAR less vikings with spears than originally assumed  :oops:  => 4!!  well at leas i know what's on the shopping list for Historicon   :?

*g*
I use brass rod, I think it's 1.2 mm. I'm not that glad about the Speartips, made them with a dremel, but cast spears are definitively better looking. As for length - I think mine are about 3.5-4 cm, that's enough for throwing spears.

But I have a viking age related question, too. Can you tell me something about dress & hairstyle of 10th/11th century western slaws/poles? I'm tempted to get some as enemies/allies for my Vikings and Ottonians, and as there are no suitable figs available I'll have to convert some.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 10:25:36 AM »
I have set up a little "miniforge", making spears and other weapons, for the use of.

It consists of:
* a mini-torch (the kind you use to caramelize sugar on creme brulee)
* a small anvil-vice combination
* a watchmakers ball hammer (I know, it sounds weird)
* several pairs of pliers
* a pot of water
* a dremmel (minicraft) tool
* needle files
* a solder iron

The idea is to heat and hammer the end of a steel or brass rod flat and wide, a drop of solder on the tip and then grind it to the suitable shape. It is easy, fast and you can produce all kinds of short, long, broad, narrow ..spears.

I should reallt take some photos and make a tutorial.

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 10:14:41 PM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
I have set up a little "miniforge", making spears and other weapons, ...
I should reallt take some photos and make a tutorial.

Yes, yes you should!  :mrgreen:

i'd pay all the money left in my pocket to see it.  oh! wait!  we're trying to save to buy a house and still pay the current bills - i have no money in my pockets! :cry:  sorry.   would you still do a visual tutorial?

ralph   8)

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 10:17:46 PM »
Quote from: "Poliorketes"
But I have a viking age related question, too. Can you tell me something about dress & hairstyle of 10th/11th century western slaws/poles? I'm tempted to get some as enemies/allies for my Vikings and Ottonians, and as there are no suitable figs available I'll have to convert some.

i'll drop you a PM in a few minutes as the question doesn't have a nice quaint answer.  i've been looking for the same answers regarding the Rus, Viking Age Slavs and clothing of all in that period and slightly before - 8th & 9th century.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 10:42:21 PM »
Re Rus, Slavs, Balts etc.
I can't remember where my notes are at present, but quite a few depictions of shaved heads (no help if they are wearing a hat), "baggy" clothing for wealthier types(especially breeches), and rectangular shields for some.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)