Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:49:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Osprey August sale: what is actually included?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Osprey August sale: what is actually included?
« on: August 09, 2021, 01:10:06 AM »
Osprey are supposedly having an August sale, yet none of the books that I found was listed as having been discounted. Was the sale limited to specifically-allocated stock which, once sold, ended any discount for those publications?

https://ospreypublishing.com/aug_sale_2021

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Osprey August sale: what is actually included?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 09:23:41 AM »
Sorry, no idea, but it is really annoying when
Companies do that sort of thing. They seem to think
that you will notice other products (& buy them)
while you hunt for the 'Sale' items. For me it does
the opposite & I end up not using that company
at all.

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 10:50:32 AM »
Osprey are supposedly having an August sale, yet none of the books that I found was listed as having been discounted. Was the sale limited to specifically-allocated stock which, once sold, ended any discount for those publications?

https://ospreypublishing.com/aug_sale_2021

Seems to be everything bar the following exceptions:

Kindly note that pre-order books, titles published after May 2021 and print editions of our Bolt Action series are excluded from the sale.

So stuff published since the end of April isn't included but everything else appears to be.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 03:32:35 PM »
Yeah, that seems to be the standard for these Osprey sales. All the books on some sort of discount except the most recent releases. The past several iterations of this sale, I've also seen an additional amount taken out from the shopping cart. Looks like a bonus is applied from some Jan2020 sale or something? I dunno, but the past two orders I've done has gotten me three blue rule books for about $30 shipped. Unbeatable deal.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 01:32:39 AM »
Thanks, all. I must have left the browser tabs open for too long, or viewed them while something was being updated. The discounts have since reappeared.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 12:10:32 PM »
Basically, if a vendor does not indicate clearly what is on sale, or have a section with all the for salse items in, they are just fishing for business and I usually just ignore.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 12:27:01 AM »
How typical! Despite having options for Canada and other regions and currencies, Osprey's website applies GMT for all regions, so that their sale ended just after 7:00 pm (EST) here. Oh well, I saved $100 by not ordering  lol

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 03:32:08 AM »
Didn't even know there was a sale. Picked up Stargrave for cheap though. I don't often buy straight from Osprey so I guess I was just lucky.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 02:40:58 PM »
Well, I ordered about a dozen PDFs but despite numerous attempts (even using different PCS) have only managed to successfully download and open two of them. The files download but either "do not contain any pages" or have some other error associated with them. Their "support" has been minimal - nothing on the technical aspects. They did offer ePub instead but I get the same result.

Now you could say "well it must be something wrong with your system" but then explain why I can download from Kwaransaray without issue, and DriveThruRPG, and Peter Dennis's Paperboys site, and about a dozen other online sources from which I have downloaded PDFs in the last month.

If they can't provide a solution by EOB today I am going to file a PayPal dispute.  :(

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 05:12:28 PM »
I bought a few of Queen Victoria's Enemies etc and that was about it.

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 04:36:37 AM »
Update: I was in the end able to download my PDFs. Still not certain what caused all the errors. None of the other sources I download PDFs from have had any issues, and I've not seen those specific error messages before.

Well, I ordered about a dozen PDFs but despite numerous attempts (even using different PCS) have only managed to successfully download and open two of them. The files download but either "do not contain any pages" or have some other error associated with them. Their "support" has been minimal - nothing on the technical aspects. They did offer ePub instead but I get the same result.

Now you could say "well it must be something wrong with your system" but then explain why I can download from Kwaransaray without issue, and DriveThruRPG, and Peter Dennis's Paperboys site, and about a dozen other online sources from which I have downloaded PDFs in the last month.

If they can't provide a solution by EOB today I am going to file a PayPal dispute.  :(