Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:25:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gid gud and die trying. - Dark Souls Board Game  (Read 11027 times)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: Gid gud and die trying. - Dark Souls Board Game
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2021, 09:19:19 AM »
Shared this thread with another group as you've done a stellar job on these  :o
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 09:30:04 AM »
@Blackwolf: I watched some of it last night. That's the same guys who did the PUBG skits as well, right?

@Knight-Captain Tyr: Thanks very much, for sharing and for the compliments. :) I kinda regret not having done more scenic shots of these, but I just didn't have the time.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2021, 07:40:44 PM »
Indeed! :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2021, 06:02:27 PM »
Heyhey, happy Saturday.

Here's baddies from the Darkroot expansion of the Dark Souls boardgame:

All still WIP, other than prior DS figures these will get woodland-like basing. That should add a lot to the look of these. Hope you like them!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 02:51:41 PM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 03:17:14 PM »

However, while working with these figures I keep on thinking how these figures would look much nicer cast in crisp metal or resin. Oh well. I paint a lot of boardgame figures made from that material. They tend to turn out nice once all done up, but the way there probably would be nicer with models cast in another material.

This, Everytime I paint up  a zombicide fig I cannot help but lament that the fantastic sculpts were never offered in a better material that would have done them justice.
Oh, and fantastic pjs as usual from you.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 04:32:36 PM by hubbabubba »

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2021, 02:51:07 PM »
@hubbabubbs: That's the thing, isn't it. Somehow these companies get off on digital sculpts with all the details and the tiny faces and tiny fingers and all, and then cast it up on THAT stuff. No wonder they go with bigger and bigger figures. Anyway, thanks for complimenting my PJs. :)

Right, I applied all sorts of fuzzy things to the bases and my surroundings, and that's what the figures look like now:

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_10/as1shoopschrift.jpg.81e0ea6398833a5d2e325d4f8adf0d6f.jpg

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_10/allschrift.JPG.fc9253051db662ac698a80b3790f44d3.JPG

That's that! Still to come are pictures of Knight Artorias and his doggo. Funny thing is that somehow the camera really dislikes the paintjob I did on the wolf. Looks nice in real life, looks kinda crap in the photos I took last night. (bar for the scenic shot. maybe something about the grey highilghts and the lighting or something).

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2021, 03:02:14 PM »
Mindblowingly good. In some ways better than the actual game.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2021, 03:48:33 PM »
Well, it's easier to spot those plant bastards in the photos than in the actual game, that's for sure. :D Thanks for the comment!

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2021, 12:15:32 PM »
Heyhey, happy post-halloween. Hope you had a lovely time.

In the photos of the Darkroot expansion for the Dark Souls boardgame I omitted photos of Knight Artorias himself. Hereby I remedy this:

Hope you like him (or are appropriately scared and saddened by his backstory).

Here's what he looks like in the video game:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/rgy1TV12LDc[/youtube]

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2021, 03:37:52 AM »
Great job with Artorias! The Abyss ooze is a really nice touch

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2021, 02:33:11 PM »
@HappyChappy439: Thanks very much! Yeah, I really try to get the figures (and the bases!) to look proper and like in the video games. Wouldn't wanna have superfans scream at me on the internet. :D

Hello, hello. Happy fourth advent Sunday!

Here's some more Dark Souls fun.

Asylum Demon (right at the beginning of Dark Souls1):

...and friends from Iron Keep (Dark Souls 2), including Smelter Demon and Lord Alonne:

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_12/all2schrift.JPG.df8be5599eba63e10bdc4fb65a957e27.JPG

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_12/la1schrift.JPG.a50c4a10c7fee27b6f52a49f5cb2bf8b.JPG

full size image: https://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2021_12/la2schrift.JPG.4a4bd1ae1fb07e2fd8eaa499824d0e36.JPG

Keep in mind that these are pretty big figures. The regular armoured dudes are 35mm foot to eye.

For research reasons I installed Dark Souls 2. As it turned out, it's quite a way from the start of the game to Iron Keep, so I'm not even there yet. :P But I take my reseach seriously, to make the figures look like their counterparts in the games, and I put extra effort into making the bases look right as well (ie appropriate to what the boss room or floor where you encounter the enemies looks like).

Btw, Dark Souls 2 is great. Sometimes it gets snubbed in favour of 1, 3 and Bloodborne, but even if it's a nudge weaker than these other games it's still great. Two nights ago I was playing the Rat King's dungeon (Grave of Saints). What a fun, amazing concept. I have NO idea how it works technically, but it does, and it's great fun.

Anyway, you can see those little Crystal Lizards they put in this add-on with the figures. I skimmed their rules for the board game, and they seem to work very much like in the video games, and thus seem like a very fun addtion and a great opportunity to get yourself killed. :D

Well, that's my important observations. I hope that you like the pictures of the figures, and that you're having a great 4th Advent Sunday. Tomorrow I'll get them to the gentleman I painted these for and will get another batch of Dark Souls boardgame figures (for way after christmas. Whenever I get to them). Good times.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2021, 07:04:08 PM »
Incredible brushwork!!  :-* :o

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2021, 01:09:52 PM »
Thanks very much, Anatoli! :)

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2021, 11:28:07 AM »
Heyhey, merry christmas, people!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2021, 11:55:56 AM »
Merry Christmas people (and Asylum Demons!)  lol

Really nice work on the last few posts as well! Smelter Demon and Alonne have turned out really well too!

Also nice to see some love for DS2 as well! It's definitely a solid entry in the series, with some of my favourite moments (if just a hair too long in some parts).

Rookie question, but what sort of proportion of DS1/2/3 figures are there in the miniatures game?