Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:34:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Another coup in Northern Gambola...(Pics and AAR added)  (Read 1231 times)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Another coup in Northern Gambola...(Pics and AAR added)
« on: August 17, 2021, 10:06:14 PM »
Tomorrow, we're gonna playtest a game I plan to run at Advance the Colors in Springfield, Ohio (October 1-2).  It'll involve another coup in the People's Republic of Northern Gambola.  28mm using Fistful of Lead - Bigger Battles.  Set in/about 1970 or so.  His Excellency (a Spectre fig) has fled to his home Village, where the loyal local militia (MOFO figs) are trying to protect him.  Of course, the Colonel and his PRoNG troops (MOFO and Eureka figs, with diecast vehicles) are after him.  But the US is sending in some Special Operations units (Empress Vietnam SF types) to help get him out.

Pics and AAR should follow later this week...stay tuned...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 05:55:19 PM by CapnJim »
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Another coup in Northern Gambola...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 11:06:59 AM »
Cool ,can;t wait to see the pictures. Long Live Gambola.Great little Con ,I went back in 2018.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 02:47:22 PM »
Cool ,can;t wait to see the pictures. Long Live Gambola.Great little Con ,I went back in 2018.
+1 and maybe your stats/cards for the units. I try to use it for vietnam, but found no good stats for me
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 05:38:06 PM »
Okay, here we go...

Commander Griswold knelt at the market stand in front of the old mission.  His SEALs to his left, and those Army SF guys to his right.  2 PRoNG armored cars were smoldering in front of him, while several PRoNG troops lay dead or wounded around him.  But the firing had died down, and he had seen the local militia ushering His Excellency from one compound on the other side of the Village to another. 

"Black 6, Blue 6.  The enemy is breaking contact.  Looks like what's left of them are bugging out.  Over" 
"Roger, Blue 6."  This was the first time he had worked with army SF types - they sure knew their business.  This Joint Task force stuff might just work.  "Check your wounded, and move to that compound where they have His Excellency.  I'll call in the choppers.  Over."
"Blue 6, roger.  Out."
"Lieutenant!" Griswold yelled to the SEAL team leader.  "Check your wounded, and send someone into the mission to see if any of those local boys are still alive."
"Aye, aye, Skipper!"
Man that was a fight, he thought to himself.  Those PRoNG guys sure put up a fight.  He had 3 men out of his 11 man team down to show for it.  And nobody was firing out of the mission anymore.  But between his guys, and the local militia, they had sent the PRoNG Colonel and his men packing.  Now it was time to clean up and get his men and His Excellency the hell out of here.
"Alpha-2-1, this is Bravo-4-2, Request extraction at grid 564843, over"
"Roger, Bravo-4-2.  Extraction inbound.  ETA 1-5 mikes. Over."
"Roger, Out."
And it was over.  They had accomplished their mission, albeit with some cost.  Hopefully, the 2 SEALs and the SF guy who were down would be OK.  Those choppers can't get here soon enough....

And there we have it.  We got our convention scenario playtest done.  See the first post for the set-up.  Here are some details about the troops.  As mentioned previously, we used FFoL: BB, and we thought it worked out quite nicely.  Traits-wise - His Excellency had a Bodyguard, was Slow (the figure had a cane), and was Encouraging.  The local militia had a leader (Green, but Encouraging, Loyal, and a Ranger), and 2 "squads" each with 6 AKs and an RPG (all Green, Loyal, and Rangers).

The US SOF guys had a leader (Veteran and Encouraging), a team of 5 SEALs (Veteran), and a 5-man Army SF team (Veteran).  The SOF troops had a variety of weapons (M16s, AKs, LMGs, and M203, a LAW, smoke grenades, and pistols).

The PRoNG Colonel was Encouraging.  He had 3 6-man squads, each with Aks and an RPK.  He also had a 2-man RPG team.  They came on in trucks, and had 2 armored cars (a Saladin and an Eland) in support.  The PRoNG troops had no traits, aside from the leader being Encouraging.  But one tweak I'll make for the convention game is to make one squad Killers (they have green berets), and the other 2 squads Skirmishers.  That should give them just a bit more staying power.

In the attached pics, Pic 4 is an aerial recon shot, showing the Village in which the fight took place.  North is to the top.  You can see the old mission in the NE corner, while the main Admin building is in the center north.  2 compounds are in the SE corner, while other huts and shacks are scattered about.  A river runs N to S through the Village, and can only be crossed at the bridge and a ford north of the bridge.  Unfortunately, the Saladin and the duece-and-a-half were too wide for the bridge, and had to use the ford (in which they could get stuck).

As a side note, Pic 1 shows an interesting coincidence.  As I mentioned, we were using some Fistful of Lead rules, and I happened to have a brand of bourbon there at my gaming building called Fistful of Bourbon.  So I though it appropriate to have a taste or 2 as we played the game... :)   

I'll tell the story from the SOF perspective, as I played those guys.  Gene played His Excellency and the local militia, while Ted played the PRoNG Colonel and his units.

"Black 6, Red 6.  We're in position in front of the mission.  Enemy approaching from the west.  No contact with locals yet, over."
"Roger Red 6.  Hold your position. Blue element is moving up behind you."
"Black 6, Red 6.  Contact front!  2 armored cars, with infantry, over"
Then the firing started.  It began with that swoosh of AT rockets, followed by the clang of solid hits.  And them the small arms fire and the boom of cannons firing. 
"Red 6 here.  We're taking small arms and cannon fire.  Man down!  The locals are firing on the enemy from the mission. Over."
"Roger Red 6.  Blue 6, move across the street and set up a firing position in front of the Admin building.  Over."
"This is Blue 6, Roger".
Then Commander Griswold heard the explosion, and saw the Saladin armored car go up just as he got to the side wall at the corner of the mission.  Red element was taking cover behind a car in front of the mission, and Blue element had worked across the street behind another car in front of the Admin building.  But he could see Red element had a man down.  And the street was hot with lead and RPGs flying in both directions.  Where did they have His Excellency? he wondered...     
And the local militia inside the mission must be taking a beating, but they were standing their ground.  the remaining PRoNG armored car and their RPG was blasting the mission, and the local's fire was starting to slacken. 
But between the locals and his SOF boys, they were taking a toll on those PRoNG SOBs.  Then, one of the SEALs dropped an M203 round into the hatch of the other armored car, and it went silent.   
It wasn't over yet, though.  The PRoNG infantry was till in the fight.  Another SEAL went down, and one of the SF guys across the street went down, too.  But Griswold could feel the fight starting to turn.  "Red 6, move forward and take up position in those market stalls.  Blue 6, once Red is set, bound up to that KO'ed Saladin.  Sweep the enemy toward the south.  Over."
"Red 6, roger."  "Blue 6, roger."
"Black 6, Blue 6.  Enemy infantry in the Admin building.  But it sounds like they're leaving.  Over."
"Roger, Blue 6.  Keep pressing, over." 
"Black 6, roger."
Ah.  That's why they moved out of that admin building.  Griswold caught a glimpse of more local militia hustling His Excellency from one compound across the Village to another one.  Those PRoNG bastards must be moving to intercept.  "Red 6, hit the enemy moving south along the river.  They're making a play for His Excellency! Over."  "Roger Black 6.  We see them. over."  More firing.  And a few more PRoNG guys go down.  There can't be many of them left, and they're on foot - they left their wheels behind...
He could see that the militia boys across the Village had squirrelled His Excellency away in that other compound.  Good. That would be a tough nut to crack.  And those guys were now up on the roofs of the compound buildings, firing at the remaining PRoNG troops. 
"Black 6, Blue 6.  The enemy is breaking contact....."

And it was done.  All they had to do was clean up.  the SOF troops had 3 down out of 11, while the local militia lost an entire squad (the one in the mission).  His Excellency and his bodyguard were still alive, too.  But the PRoNG Colonel lost 16 out of 21 troops, along with both armored cars (which proved to be tough little buggers, though).  And they abandoned their 3 trucks when they retreated away back across the bridge.

It was a good fight.  We thought the rules did a good job managing this fight.  The fight took just over 2-1/2 hours to play out.  But as I mentioned, we did decide to spiff up the PRoNG infantry just a bit for the actual convention game.

I've captioned the pics below for narrative purposes.  Enjoy!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 05:53:31 PM by CapnJim »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 05:39:43 PM »
More pics...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 05:46:03 PM »
@NurgleHH:  Now that Age of Glory here in the States has the unit deals from Empress' Vietnam range on their website, I'll get some Marines, PAVN, and maybe some civilians ordered.  PM me or post here, and we can talk about FFoL:BB traits for Vietnam stuff - we'll likely use it for our Vietnam games.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 07:29:13 PM »
@NurgleHH:  Now that Age of Glory here in the States has the unit deals from Empress' Vietnam range on their website, I'll get some Marines, PAVN, and maybe some civilians ordered.  PM me or post here, and we can talk about FFoL:BB traits for Vietnam stuff - we'll likely use it for our Vietnam games.
Ok, I start a thread with the name:”FFoL:BB for Vietnam” to separate it from this and we can discuss some ideas