Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:02:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686553
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Review Wargames Atlantic Plastic Lizardmen  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Review Wargames Atlantic Plastic Lizardmen
« on: August 21, 2021, 05:34:11 PM »
Today we will take a closer look at the Wargames Atlantic Lizardmen! These 28mm hard-plastic multi-part creatures are the fourth set of their Classic Fantasy miniature range and cover more than the fantasy genre alone. In this boxed set you can also find sufficient parts to create space lizardmen armed with auto-rifles, lizardmen armed with primitive and human muskets making them most suitable for victorian science fiction gaming and also of course swords and spears allowing them to be used for classic fantasy games. Check https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/2021/08/wargames-atlantic-plastic-classic.html
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
Re: Review Wargames Atlantic Plastic Lizardmen
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 05:45:40 PM »
This kit a bit more focused on fantasy could've worked great, me thinks.

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 07:54:52 PM »
I loved this kit enough to order a second one. Really good stuff, and your review is excellent, too.
Scrum in Miniature (my gaming blog): http://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com
Scrum Con (my miniatures+RPG convention in Wash, DC): https://sites.google.com/view/scrum-con/home
Above the Fray Miniatures (my minis company): https://sites.google.com/view/abovethefrayminiatures/home

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 07:22:37 AM »
Good review. It does sound like the kit is trying to cover too many options and therefore doesn’t quite hit the mark on most of them. I would always rather have more bodies - as these ultimately determine the poses of the figures, and only 3 bodies feels somewhat limited.

The birdman from the gas-mask head is inspired!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 12:10:03 PM »
I reckon these are the best lizardmen out there - by dint of being the most lizardy! One thing the review perhaps misses is that there are actually three 'species options' - chameleons, iguanas and 'normal' lizards. And that's on top of the gas-mask options (who seem to be of the iguana type).

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 12:34:58 PM »
Still kicking myself for not grabbing a set locally when I had the chance.  Distribution on everything is bad these days, but restocks on stuff from North Star and Wargames Atlantic are unbearably slow.  Not an easy time to support your FLGS, and they've never needed it more.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 04:18:06 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments, have these on my painting bench as we speak and hope to have them finished soon.

@Reed, yes think either large sprues or less genres might have been better but that said quite like this unique set.

@The Bibliophile, thank you very much have multiple sets too for VSF purposes  ;D

@Fred, thanks more bodies would also be appreciated but think that's the limitation of the sprue size and all the options.

@Hobgoblin, thanks hadn't noticed that as they all look more or less reptilian and not really the expert but looks you're right.

@Chief Lackey Rich, where are you located might be able to point out some shops.

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 05:20:18 PM »
@Chief Lackey Rich, where are you located might be able to point out some shops.

It's not the store, it's the distributors.  Alliance and ACD aren't carrying this stuff (and a lot of other things) worth a damn, and Golden is erratic as heck.  If you know a US distrib that serves the Northeast (upstate NY, specifically) that carries WA (and North Star) reliably I'd love to suggest the FLGS see about using them.  Heck, even Osprey's pretty iffy through the big guys these days, their purchase agents just are not, well, purchasing much.

Offline Ceeteegee

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 06:05:55 PM »
A very helpful review of a very interesting box of figures. 
I just might buy a couple of sprues now as they'll come in handy for my next Sci Fi 99 project. 

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 06:20:32 PM »
One thing the review perhaps misses is that there are actually three 'species options' - chameleons, iguanas and 'normal' lizards. And that's on top of the gas-mask options (who seem to be of the iguana type).

There's something to be said for having enough heads of each type to do the whole box as one type.  Variety is nice, but...well. I'm having to hoard my chimp heads from Stargrave to do that all-Uplift crew, y'know what I'm saying?  Just need one more box now...  :)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2021, 08:27:32 PM »
There's something to be said for having enough heads of each type to do the whole box as one type.  Variety is nice, but...well. I'm having to hoard my chimp heads from Stargrave to do that all-Uplift crew, y'know what I'm saying?  Just need one more box now...  :)

If you are after more chimp heads have you thought about putting up a "Wanted" ad?
I suspect the chimp is fairly popular, but you never know...
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 02:07:16 AM »
Great review!

Your lizardman native pistol mod and Persian wicker shield idea are things I will need to do with mine. Thanks for the inspiration.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 04:52:40 AM »
Great review, thanks!

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 06:17:16 PM »
Thanks and glad you found the review and ideas of interest.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 09:23:05 PM »
Thanks for the comprehensive review (also: for the disclaimer that you got this review copy for free). I think with WA's kits such reviews help a lot in presenting the options we get in these boxes, because there's a lot to get out of these.

One thing I noticed - on the size comparison picture (always an excellent addition) maybe it's better to shoot the picture directly from the front, so we can get a better idea of how tall the dudes are in comparison to other figures. Granted - with fantasy figures it's not that important. :D

Either way, a very interesting review. I really like those WA kits. The more generic the better (and WA are very clever about releasing generic kits, as befitting for plastics). These really get the (rusty and clunky) idea machine in my brain going. With most of these WA fantasy kits I wasn't aware I wanted them, but after reading a bit more I usually end up wanting at least one box of those. :D