Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:03:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690826
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mantic Terrain for Stargrave  (Read 6729 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Mantic Terrain for Stargrave
« on: August 26, 2021, 10:36:51 AM »
I got some of the Mantic Sci-Fi Terrain painted up for our Stargrave games. I think it looks pretty good and it's good to play over.
https://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=66&cat=653&page=1

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Mantic Terrain for Stargrave
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 11:54:12 AM »
Looks great and Deadzone scenery is excellent for Stagrave. But the Deadzone player in me cries for the bases underneath the scenery ;)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 12:47:32 PM »
I've got a pile of that stuff still on the sprue that I've been trying to find time for, but unfortunately all I've got left are the "damaged" frames, all the intact building parts were used up back in 1st edition.  Makes it kind of hard to work with.  Need to either bite the bullet and buy more intact frames or lean into it and do a table full of ruins.

Hmm.  I don't suppose anyone's got some intact frames they'd like to trade for some ruins?  :)

Regardless, the stuff works fine for skirmish gaming outside of Deadzone.  Plenty of room for most figs, good sturdy structures and if you're reasonably smart about how you assemble things the interiors are pretty accessible.

But the Deadzone player in me cries for the bases underneath the scenery ;)

Deadzone's all cube measurement anyway.  The bases shouldn't affect play dramatically - you can always just measure 3" distances, or hold a spare building tile over the non-gridded part of the table as a measuring template.  And the bases will look better in every other game, including Firefight.

Underrated game systems, both of them. Always surprised at how little chat they get around here, and in general.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 12:53:09 PM »
Oh yeah, they will work for Deadzone very well, but I really prefer unbased scenery, especially if you have a lot (which you should because the game is way better with loads of scenery). It just makes it a lot easier to see in which row-column models are.

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 12:59:22 PM »
Oh yeah, they will work for Deadzone very well, but I really prefer unbased scenery, especially if you have a lot (which you should because the game is way better with loads of scenery). It just makes it a lot easier to see in which row-column models are.

Well, that's true.  I suppose if you're playing on a gridless table/mat you could lay down some tape or something to mark the 3x3 grid, though.  Do it in bright colors and call it a "tactical display" from the orbiting spy drones, right?

You can do some pretty impressive stuff with that kit.  I built a couple of tables' worth for a guy who'd backed the original KS heavy and he had so much I could go hog wild.  Had one structure that was 18" high, with stepped levels so people could actually get all the way to the top.  Pretty much filled a row/column all by itself.  Still rock solid too, although that was one where a base would have made me feel better just to reduce the chance of a clumsy move knocking the whole thing over.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 01:18:11 PM »
I built one set a while back, but had issues getting parts to click together. The fit was so tight that they're never coming apart, which makes storage a pain. I also made the mistake of using the world's stinkiest spray paint on them.

I still have several unbuilt sets in the loft, but those two factors mean every time I think about doing some,  I chicken out  :(

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 02:11:55 PM »
That terrain is looking good! Kicking myself now for passing in an opportunity to get a bunch of that at a great price.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 02:24:35 PM »
I built one set a while back, but had issues getting parts to click together. The fit was so tight that they're never coming apart, which makes storage a pain. I also made the mistake of using the world's stinkiest spray paint on them.

I still have several unbuilt sets in the loft, but those two factors mean every time I think about doing some,  I chicken out  :(

Despite Mantic's claims to the contrary, they aren't really designed to be broken down once assembled.  They're actually easier to build if you apply solvent glue while attaching the clips, the stuff lubricates the join and softens the plastic briefly, making it fit better (albeit permanently).  They're definitely one of the more irritating terrain kits to assemble and need some pre-planning to get the most out of, but you can still make some pretty nice structures out of them and their size is good for modern models.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 05:50:46 PM »
great work with those @ nicknorthstar. That set-up should make for wonderful games of SG.

and agreed @ Rich - Deadzone etc - very neat systems, oddly absent from this forum.
Mantic are just doing open beta testing on a revised version of FF, btw.

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 06:30:49 PM »
and agreed @ Rich - Deadzone etc - very neat systems, oddly absent from this forum.
Mantic are just doing open beta testing on a revised version of FF, btw.

I'd seen the beta was open but hadn't really looked at it yet.  More doing skirmish gaming these days, although maybe I should take advantage of the current fan outrage with GW to try to draw some folks into Firefight as a 40K alternative.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 05:59:25 PM »
Nice work on those buildings (and the figure conversions).

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 09:29:44 PM »
I can't take credit for the buildings, that was David Marshall, but thanks for the figure compliment !

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 10:23:22 PM »
I'm using that too.  It's great stuff, but I'm glad I got extra connectors to make it sturdier.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2021, 08:04:08 PM »
Speaking of Mantic, we sent their Hornet Dropship to be painted by Artmaster Studios for our photoshoots & games. Looks great.

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2021, 08:19:34 PM »
Lovely, very well done.  Look forward to seeing that showing up in your beauty shots.

Mantic's vehicle kits are quite nice for the most part, and generally much easier to assemble than (say) GW stuff is - and rather a lot less expensive.  The Mule, Hornet, and whatever the Enforcer aircraft is called are particularly good IMO.  Even their not-Squat AFVs that look suspiciously like they have beards have grown on me over time.