Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:54:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim's WW2 stuff (Time to paint more WW2 stuff...Page 10...09 Apr 24).  (Read 18047 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim's WW2 stuff (US 57mm AT Gun 15 Jul 22).
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2022, 08:07:32 PM »
Just noticed the Atlantic panzer Lehr above.   How do you find them?   I have been considering getting a box to mix in with my Artizan and Warlord Lehr.

Any chance you could put a few alongside some Artizan / warlord Germans please?

Cheers

David

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2022, 11:02:02 PM »
Just noticed the Atlantic panzer Lehr above.   How do you find them?   I have been considering getting a box to mix in with my Artizan and Warlord Lehr.

Any chance you could put a few alongside some Artizan / warlord Germans please?

David

A. As for the Wargames Atlantic Panzer Lehr chaps - these are the only 3 I've built so far.  I do like how they came out.  The rest of the box is gonna be done up as Panzer Lehr infantry.  Overall, I like 'em.  Just a few quibbles.  First, as with all the WA figures, due to how they mold their necks and heads, any head swap with non-WA heads will take just a bit of shaving on the WA neck and the other head.  Second, their kit is a bit light.  Essentially, just ammo pouches, bread bags, and water bottles.  No gas mask cannisters, bayonets, mess kits, or e-tools.  I'll probably add some Warlord bits to them as I build them as infantry.  And (and this is really picky), their holsters are a bit big for my tastes.  But overall, I like 'em.  Nice dynamic poses, and plenty of weapon and head choices.

B.  Please see the attached pics for comparisons.  In each shot, left to right, it's WA, Warlord, and Artizan.  Hope they help... :) 
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2022, 11:31:42 PM »
Excellent, thanks for that mate.

I’d already figured they were light on clutter.  Luckily I have quite a useful bits box so I am going to order a couple of sprues from eBay me thinks. 

They look a little thin by comparison with the others, but I’m struggling to collect enough variety to do my Lehr fully in metal.   Between the two boxes, Artizan and Warlord, I think nearly half seem to be carrying panzerfausts!   Having enough MG42 teams was going to be an issue but i notice on the sprue there are two alternate MG42 arms and a spare gun, so lots of opportunity to sort that out.

I look forward to seeing your Lehr infantry.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2022, 04:41:18 PM »
I look forward to seeing your Lehr infantry.

So do I!  Not sure when that will be though.  My painting queue is long and winding, and I never know what's next until I get to sorting a batch out for prepping...too many periods to game, I guess... ;)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2022, 05:07:28 PM »
Don’t I know it fella!

Well, as I said, I’ve ordered a pair of sprues so I can make a few of the missing lmg teams I need, so I may beat you to it I suppose.   The airborne are practically finished and I’ve had metal Lehr based and primed for a while now……

The biggest issue I face is there are simply no supports available (vehicles aside) for them so a little limiting…..

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2022, 05:25:03 PM »
Hmm.  I suppose you could use metal support weapons (mortars, tripod MG42s, AT guns, etc.) and use WA chaps to make up the crews.  The trick may be finding a Panzerschreck... but with all those Panzerfausts, you may not need one... :D

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2022, 05:36:48 PM »
Yup, I ordered a pair of tripod mounted mg’s and a couple of panzerschrecks from the assault group……will give it a go……
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 07:37:49 PM by Digits »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2022, 06:52:56 PM »
I did find this, Panzershreck-wise...

https://www.wargaming3d.com/product/panzerschreck-and-rockets/

And Rubicon's "German Stowage 2" set has a Panzerschreck in it, as well...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 06:55:31 PM by CapnJim »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2022, 05:19:57 PM »
I've finished doing up the follow-on scenario to the Le Fiere Counterattack game, shown earlier in this thread.  This one is titled "Tank Attack", and sees the Germans attacking Le Fiere across the causeway from Cauquigny, after seizing Cauquigny from the US paratroopers.    I've attached the US and German scenario sheets and maps below, should anyone be interested.  My regular gaming group plans to play it out at one of our next few weekly gaming sessions.  A couple notes, though:

1.  This scenario is based on the scenario of the same name that is included in SkirmishCampaigns' Normandy '44 - First Hours D-Day scenario book.  I've translated it into Fistful of Lead: Bigger Battles format.

2.  All the units included in the scenario are straight from the scenario book mentioned above, with the exception of the German armor.  In reality, the 100. Ersatz Panzer Abteilung used mostly captured Renault R35s, with a few PzKfw III's.  I don't yet have any of those, so I substituted what I have in my collection (2 Pumas, and StuG III, and a PzKfw IV).  If you play the scenario with R35s, I would rate them in FfoL:BB as medium vehicles with light guns.

3.  This scenario could be a tough nut for the Germans.  These is some disagreement among scenario designers on whether to rate the US Paratroopers as Veteran/Elite, or simply Regular.  Based on the scenario book on which I based this scenario, and my own understanding of how the US Paratroopers performed on D-Day, I gave them the Veteran trait in FfoL:BB.  You could downgrade them to Regular (d10s), which could make this a bit less of a challenge for the Germans. 

As usual, I'll post an illustrated AAR once we do in fact play this out.

Also, I'm almost done with that 2nd German Puma.  Pics of it will appear here upon completion.   

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim's WW2 stuff (Le Fiere Tank Attack Scenario Sheets 21 Jul 22).
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2022, 10:50:07 PM »
Just finished this today.  A German SdKfz 234 Puma, done up from the Panzer Lehr Division, more or less (inspired by the good Mr. digits' WW2 thread and his Panzer Lehr stuff).
EDIT:  The model is a Warlord 28mm plastic kit.

That completes what I needed to paint up to do the above scenario.  As previously mentioned, my gaming group will play that scenario out at one of our next few gaming sessions.  Of course, an illustrated AAR will follow...

As to what's next - who knows?  The leading candidates are some Panzer Lehr infantry (once I get the Artizan Panzer Lehr chaps I've ordered....), and some generic modern(ish) Central/South American policia.  Stay tuned to this thread, or my thread in the "Conflicts That Came in From the Cold" section here at the LAF, to find out! 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 02:51:37 AM by CapnJim »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim's WW2 stuff (SdKfz 234 Puma 24 Jul 22).
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2022, 12:20:38 AM »
Very good!  Despite there really not being many of them produced, one my absolute favourites.

I’d best get painting my Lehr minis then hadn’t I!  Looking forward to seeing yours come together.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2022, 07:08:16 AM »
Looking good mate! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2022, 04:44:26 PM »
Thanks, Gents!

And I've decided I needn't choose!  I'll start working on BOTH my Panzer Lehr fellas and those Policia... 8)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2022, 05:10:40 PM »
Got my first Panzer Lehr squad prepped yesterday.  Priming will happen this afternoon.  3 each of Warlord and Artizan metal, and WA plastic.  Painting to follow...

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Re: CapnJim's WW2 stuff (Some Panzer Lehr Progress 01 Aug 22).
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2022, 06:17:38 PM »
Very nice! I like your camo!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper