Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:22:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690527
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim's WW2 stuff (Time to paint more WW2 stuff...Page 10...09 Apr 24).  (Read 18225 times)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: CapnJim's WW2 stuff (D-Day Le Fiere Bridge battle report 18 Sep 22).
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2022, 12:35:49 AM »
Thanks, Jaye!

And it did indeed start out pretty quiet, with the Germans cautiously advancing along the causeway.  They got about halfway across when all hell broke loose!

The US mortar FO quickly established comms with his FDC, and called in very accurate fire on the Germans on the causeway.  The initial fire mission of the US mortars took out several Germans from the advancing squads, and even(luckily) took out one of the Pumas (which now blocked the road for the 2nd Puma...).

The Germans tried to respond in kind, with their mortar FO calling in fire on the Americans north of the main road, and their arty FO doing so on the Americans south of the road.  While the Germans fire missions did cause a few casualties, it was nowhere near as accurate as the American mortar fire.  And the German MG42 tried to put down covering fire, but it jammed... :(

The Germans kept up their slow advance along the causeway, however.  But another US mortar mission put paid to that, taking out more German infantry, effectively taking out both the leading squads.  And the Germans kept up their artillery fire as well.  Again it was not as accurate as the US fire.

The US bazooka team nearest to the bridge had to back off as the StuG advanced across the bridge, and the German Leutnant brought his 3rd squad up to try to keep the attack going.  A US bazooka team hiding in a barn near the Manor took a risky shot at the StuG, hitting it but not doing much damage.  Although dust and debris poured out the now-broken windows in that barn from the bazooka shot, the team was luckily not hurt.  This time, the US mortar fire was not quiet as accurate, while the German mortar fire KO'ed the US bazooka team in the barn.

While the German infantry was sorting itself out after the murderous US mortar fire, the 2nd German Puma managed to push the KO'ed Puma out of the way, and the StuG had by now advanced the bridge.  But it drew fire from the now-regrouped US bazooka team, as well as the US AT gun.  A few hits later, the StuG was a smoking wreck.  And that was that.  the German Leutnant pulled back to Cauquigny to wait for further orders and to see to the wounded.  The US paratroopers had held the Le Fiere bridge.  For now anyway...

As with our previous fight, this battle had similar results as its historical counterpart.  But unlike our previous fight, which played out very similarly to the historical battle, this one was really decided by strikingly accurate US mortar fire.  The German infantry really never had a chance to get in the fight.  That StuG, without infantry support, really stood no chance of holding the bridge it had taken.   

Once again, Fistful of Lead: Bigger Battles played a WW2 fight very well.  We all had a good time.  And this is one of the scenarios I plan to run at HMGS-Great lakes' convention Advance the Colors in Springfield, OH Oct. 6-7.  FYI, the other one I plan to run is my "Prisoner Swap Gone Bad" scenario covered in my thread on the Pulp Board. 

One note - this was the first outing for my Panzer Lehr 1st squad and one of my Pumas.  Neither fared well, I'm afraid...

Hope you enjoy this AAR.  Comments, of course, are welcome!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2022, 11:24:07 PM »
Glad the rules worked for you, and gave you a good game.
We always enjoy them, whenever we play them.
Flatpack

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2022, 07:57:34 PM »
Newly painted troops always get it first.

Offline WARdROBE

• Schoolboy
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2022, 08:23:37 PM »
First off, your tables are amazing!
Second, just a couple weeks ago I decided the best size scenarios for BB are those found in the skirmish books. So I was pumped to see your AAR using them.
Third, a friend and I are working on a project and I will be reaching out.
Fourth, keep these reports coming.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2022, 02:53:17 PM »
Todddddd!

Offline WARdROBE

• Schoolboy
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2022, 07:46:26 PM »
Todddddd!

After reading this series of posts I had to join the forum and start posting.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2022, 03:02:37 PM »
There's some good stuff on here.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2022, 10:39:01 PM »
First off, your tables are amazing!
Second, just a couple weeks ago I decided the best size scenarios for BB are those found in the skirmish books. So I was pumped to see your AAR using them.
Third, a friend and I are working on a project and I will be reaching out.
Fourth, keep these reports coming.

First, Thanks!
Second, I agree.  We think FfOL:BB works best for WW2 and "modern" stuff at the reinforced platoon level.  Which is the level at which the Skirmish Campaigns books generally work.
Third, waiting for your reach out.   ;)  Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind.
Fourth, we play several periods, most of which are done with the FfOL family of rules.  Mind you, Black Powder, Gettysburg Soldiers, and a few others get played from time to time, but FfOL comprise our go to rule sets lately, and WW2 is one of the periods we like to play.  So just stay tuned...in fact I have another squad of 28mm Lanzer Lehr all primed and ready for painting...

And welcome to the LAF.  Great stuff here, on all the boards...

Newly painted troops always get it first.

Ain't that the truth... :)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim's WW2 stuff (Another Le Fiere Bridge battle report 13 Oct 22).
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2022, 07:39:36 PM »
Well, I ran the Le Fiere Bridge Tank Attack scenario at Advance the Colors in Springfield OH, USA this weekend past.  28mm, using Fistful of Lead: Bigger Battles.  I had 6 players, 3 on each side.

The US had the same OOB as the playtest (see above), except that they rolled for 2x6" of trenches instead of a mortar FO for reinforcements.  The US side set up with a squad, a leader, a bazooka team, and the AT gun north of the road, and the rest of the troops south of the road.  All dug in or in buildings.

The Germans also had the same OOB as the playtest, but rolled for the Company HQ in a Kubelwagen instead of the sniper team for reinforcements.  And they would need him...

The Germans began their advance east across the causeway, with the Pumas in the lead, followed by an infantry squad and Plt. HQ, and the StuG.  A squad each worked their way along the trees lining each side of the road. The Co HQ brought up the rear.

The Americans waited till the lead puma got almost all the way across the bridge before they opened fire.  The AT gun knocked out the lead Puma, blocking the bridge.  As the German infantry moved up to the river, a general firefight broke out along the US line.  Both sides took casualties, and the AT gun and bazookas took out the 2nd Puma.  German mortars and artillery fell among the US positions, taking out quite a few paratroopers.

The German squads on each side of the road were in positions at the rivers' edge, while the StuG shoved the trail KO'ed Puma out of the way and moved up behind the lead KO'ed Puma on the bridge. The 3rd German squad followed it.  All the while, the German Leutnant and Hauptmann encouraged their men forward, the Leutnant on foot, and the Hauptmann from the comfort of his Kubelwagen.

Then 2 things happened that sealed the deal.  First, German artillery took out the AT Gun, while a German squad got across the bridge and stormed the US trench south of the main ford near Le Fiere Manor.  That got the game to the turn limit, and what remained of the US paratroopers beat feat east out of Le Fiere.

Both sides took heavy casualties, but the German officers did yeoman's work in keeping their men moving forward.  And, the Germans FO's were way more effective in directing their fire in this game.  And the Germans pulled off a costly win.

These 4 pics show the battlefield:

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2022, 07:41:30 PM »
And these pics are from the battle...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2022, 10:33:19 PM »
Well, after a lull in my painting (induced by other stuff taking up some of my time...), I finally got brush to figure again.   This time, It's my Panzer Lehr 2nd Squad.  Like 1st Squad, it's a mix of Warlord and Artizan metals, and Wargames Atlantic plastics.  The 1st 2 pics are the NCOs and the MG42 team, the 2nd 2 pics are the riflemen, and the last 2 are the whole squad together.

At some point we'll see if they fare any better in their 1st battle than their brothers in the 1st Squad did... ;)

Hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 03:15:05 PM by CapnJim »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: CapnJim's WW2 stuff (Panzer Lehr 2nd Squad done! Page 5 27 Dec 22).
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2022, 05:47:55 AM »
Great work Cap'n! 🫡
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2022, 11:33:55 PM »
Aye they look good!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2022, 03:22:08 PM »
Thanks, fellas.  Only a platoon HQ, 3rd squad, MG42 MMG team, 2 SdkFz 251s, and a Pazerschreck or 2 to go....  :D

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2023, 01:33:21 AM »
Inspired by Ash and his group shots of his minis, I've begun to do the same.  My Vietnam and Modern minis are already up in my relevant threads in the "Conflicts That Came in From the Cold" Board.  It's now time for my WW2 minis.  Allies first. 

And in them, US Army first.  These shots are my mid-war US stuff.  Figures are Warlord plastic and metal, Black Tree Design metal, Perry plastic, and a couple Empress metals.  The tanks are Rubicon and Warlord kits.  The dismounted tankers are Warlord and Artizan Design metals.  Of course, the tanks can also go with my Late war US Army boys, whom you will see in the next post.   
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 01:47:05 AM by CapnJim »