Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:11:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690853
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim's Pulp Stuff (2nd Matewan Convention Game AAR - Pg 15...08 Nov 23)  (Read 30960 times)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Great looking town and an interesting fight report. Looks like it should be a show stopper. :)

I only read through it once so may have missed it but do the citizens do anything except run away? I wondered if someone might have defended themselves,.

How did the 2 main protagonists have an arrest warrent for each other?
Cheers

Thanks!  Once the shooting starts in earnest, the civilians usually try to get into the buildings and out of the way.  But it takes a turn or 2 for them to see (and hear) what's going on before they do so.  In certain circumstances (like when a Baldwin-Felts "Gun Thug" enters a room they are in, for example), I roll randomly to see if the actively interfere.  They've (wisely) not chosen to do so yet... 8)

As for the warrants, Sid Hatfield's warrants for the Felts brothers were signed by a local Justice of the Peace.  The Felts brothers' warrant for Mr. Hatfield was signed by a judge from a different county.  There were (and still are) some questions about the legitimacy of any of those warrants...

And now for the report on Playtest #2 yesterday (Saturday the 26th)!   We had 6 players, so we used the Fistful of Lead Core Rules (which worked out just fine!).  Some of the Ohio crew came up to play, as did my regular gaming group.  Mike S, his son Jason, and Jenny T (LAFs own mikedemana's SO) played Chief Hatfield, Mayor Testerman, and the Coal Miners.  Here is their info sheet:

Ted, Gene, and Mike D played the Baldwin-Felts fellas.  Here is their info sheet:

I acted as GM and Umpire.  I also ran the afore-mentioned civilians.  Here are the Scenario Special Rules, which covers the civilians (as well as "arresting" a figure):

Just as a reminder, here are a few shots of the scene of the crime.  First up is a view looking west down Railroad Street:

Next is a view looking east down that street:

These next 2 are looking south toward the storefronts along Railroad Street from the area around the train station.

The Battle Report

The coal miners set up first.  Chief Hatfield and Mayor Testerman milled around in front of Chambers Hardware, while another 9 armed coal miners and townsfolk set up on various rooftops, in upper floor windows, out on the sidewalk along Railroad Street, and near the train station.  They were all waiting for those Baldwin-Felts Agents to come around the east end of Railroad Street.  Everyone in town knew that they were up at the Buskirk Building having dinner, but that they would be heading down to the train station to catch the 5:00pm train to Bluefield any minute now.  About 4:00pm, the 11 Baldwin-Felts detective Agents, led by Lee and Albert Felts (there were 13 of them altogether) came walking around the corner at the east end of Railroad Street.  They saw Hatfield and Testerman down the street, and began heading down Railroad Street toward them.

A few miners, who were on the sidewalk not far from Hatfield and Testerman started moving toward the agents.

That's when it all started.  Shots rang out from the rooftops and upper floor windows, and an agent went down on the sidewalk in from of the tire store.  It looked like the miners weren't about to let any of those agents near Chief Hatfield, if they could help it.  The detective agents started to spread out...the innocent bystanders along Railroad Street and at the train station stood there in stunned disbelief...

Some of the agents moved along the storefronts, trying to stay in what cover the could find, while other moved across the track toward the station.  A miner on the upper floor of the train station dropped another agent with his trusty Winchester lever gun.  But it wouldn't go all the miners' way.  An agent moved up to the northeast corner of the train station, and put a load of buckshot into a miner there, dropping him.  And by now, with some if the gunfire getting way too close for comfort, the civilians had all ducked into their nearest buildings, trying to get out of the line of fire.

But the miners had the advantage of position.  There were some with rifles on the roofs overlooking the street.

They kept up their fire on the agents.  A couple more agents went down out the street.  But several agents worked their way around back of the train station...

Meanwhile, Chief Hatfield had made his way over to the train station, followed by a miner.  And Mayor Testerman ducked into Chambers Hardware, and went up to the upper floor to shout encouragement from a front window.

Miners moved to contest the rear of the train station.  More miners were coming on the scene, having been alerted by the sounds of gunfire.

Things took a turn for the worse for the miners at this point.  While several agents were down along Railroad Street, one shot and wounded Chief Hatfield, and dropped a miner, on the platform of the train station.

Albert Felts saw his opportunity.  He rushed to Chief Hatfield and took him into custody...

...dragged Hatfield into the train station, where another agent was waiting.  The bystanders who had gathered in that room considered intervening, thought better of it, and retreated into the next room. Out of the way...but the miner with the lever gun upstairs heard the ruckus, and came charging downstairs.  Only to be shot and wounded for his trouble.

Outside, more miners came on scene, and were getting the upper hand out there.

Inside the station, Chief Hatfield fought for his life.  He was able to wound another agent, but Albert regained control of Hatfield...the civilians cowered in the next room...

Out on Railroad Street, A woman came up the tracks from the east, and unceremoniously gunned down Lee Felts with her rifle.  And some miners had a couple agents cornered in the tobacco store and the tire shop.  Those agents didn't last long...

Those miners then headed across the tracks to help Chief Hatfield.  They were indeed able to shoot down Albert Felts and rescue a very injured Chief Hatfield.

The Baldwin-Felts Detective Agency was running out of men in fighting condition in Matewan.  The last one standing was taking cover behind the automobile at the east end of the train station, but was about to be surrounded by miners.  He threw down his gun and threw up his hands in surrender.   

Epilogue

And it was over.  When the shooting stopped, 11 of the 13 Baldwin-Felts Detective Agents were down, including both Felts Brothers.  A 12th had already fled the scene, and the 13th had surrendered.  But 6 coal miners were down (a 7th - the woman - bugged out after shooting Felts), and Sid Hatfield was badly wounded.  The miners had won, but at a cost...

After discussing the fight, I think the only other tweak I plan to make to the scenario will be to randomize where the coal miner reinforcements show up.  This will (possibly) prevent the miners from always showing up at the most convenient places...but other than that, I think the scenario is ready to go...

And mikedemana told me he plans to post his version of events, as well...   :D

« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 02:32:25 AM by CapnJim »
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: CapnJim's Pulp Stuff (Matewan Playtest #2 AAR - Pg 14...27 Aug 23)
« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2023, 07:40:38 PM »
Yahoo! Another brilliant report! (and another win for the workers  lol )

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2023, 02:32:40 AM »

Miners and passengers with tickets for the 5pm train out of Matewan, WV, wait for action to unfold

FROM THE TESTIMONY OF LEE FELTS (BALDWIN-FELTS DETECTIVE AGENCY):

"Alright, I'm goin' to give it to ya straight, boys. Mom always said my big brother Albert wasn't born with the brains needed to find his way down a one-way street. I promised her I'd try to keep him safe, the big lug, but there was only so much I could do down in Matewan on that cursed day in May!"

Locals eye the armed miners warily, wondering if gunfire is about to break out in their WV town

"Albert insisted we take da dumbest contract you could imagine. Go down to this town full of redneck miners with a dozen guys and basically arrest da whole place! Always pushing his belly forward like for seconds of pasta, Albert soon enough got the whole town riled up, arresting folks right and left. It'd be one ting if we had the law on our side down there. But no! Albert just nods his head and says "Yes, boss" when we'z were told to arrest the police chief and freaking mayor of the town!"

Capn Jim's Matewan tabletop is very eye-catching, and has been modeled to look like the town he visited

"So, after filling our bellies with pasta after a hard day's work arresting rednecks, we were heading to the train station to take the 5:00 out of this Hellhole. We rounds da corner, and what do we see, but half of the town of Matewan toting shotguns, pistols, and rifles just a-waiting for us. The dozen or so of us froze in our tracks. I heard a few of da boys say 'Holy Mudder of Christ' or sumptin' like that. That's when Albert spots Sid Hatfield, the police chief, at the other end of the street and yells, 'Get 'em, boys -- there he is!' I shook my head. Holy Mudder of Christ!'

Baldwin-Felts Detective thugs round the corner on Railroad Street to see armed miners gathering

"I had a feeling this was going to end up bad, so grabbed Quick Fingers Larry and sent him running across the tracks for cover at a parked car. I slapped Seamus and sent him following Larry with his shotgun. I grabbed Steely-Eyed Dan and told him to cover us with his rifle until we were across the tracks, then join us. We were going to make an end run. Let Albert go up the middle and see what happens. Momma always said I was the clever one, the seventh son of a seventh son and all..."

Quick Fingers Larry takes cover by the car, waiting for Lee and the rest of the boys to catch up

"For a few moments, it was like things in da Big War. Covered by Larry, Seamus runs up to the miner who'd retreated from the car to the corner of the building. With one shot from his 12-gauge, he sends him down to the great coal mine in Hell. Steely-Eyed Dan reminds us how he got his nickname and guns down another redneck on the platform. We begin to move around the back of the train station like we were clearing da Kaiser's trenches. Let me tell ya, boys, it was sumptin' beautiful to behold..."

A coal miner not long for this world takes cover at the corner of the train station

"We had them West Virginey boys on the run for a few minutes, I tell ya! However, I could see on all sides that more and more of the townsfolk were comin' to join the fight. Like I said, I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach...like it just knew some lead was coming its way with my name on it!"

Boom! Seamus blows away the coal miner blocking our path to the back of the train station

"Suddenly I hear a bunch of folks shouting out front of the train station and figured something big had just happened. I motioned Seamus to dash through the station and find out. Now, I didn't see this, but Seamus himself told me this after he got out of the hospital. He ducked out the door and there was Sid Hatfield with a bullet wound in his side just staring back up at him, his mouth making a big O. Seamus whacks him so hard with the butt of his 12-gauge that it went flying out into the street. The big Irishman tosses the chief over his shoulder and drags him back into the station."

Seamus defeats Police Chief Sid Hatfield in melee and then drags him back into the station

"I started hollering for all our guys to gather round and defend the station. It was like Davey Crockey in da Alamo or sumptin'! Except Albert, bless his pasta-eating soul, had stirred up da whole damn town. We had no chance. Zero. Zilch. Nada. One by one, my boys began to take lead in da belly and fall."

Another of Lee's boys falls to the gathering hordes of miners

"Quick Fingers Larry, Seamus, pretty soon everyone wear a suit and fedora of Baldwin-Felts was catching bullets and falling down. When two miners burst through the door while I was reloading my pistol, I knew the end was near. I saw a couple big flashes and felt a stab in my guy worse than the indigestion from the time Albert tried to cook dinner. Tings went black and I woke up in da Hospital. Tell you what - I was surprised I ever woke up. Honestly. The way Albert stirred up the town, I'm surprised I wasn't swinging from a lightpole that evening!"

Lee Felts makes his last stand beside Seamus and the squirming, bleeding lump of hte police chief

"Oh, one udder ting! Steely-eyed Dan was a true soldier of da Great War. He held off so many of dem rednecks! They were coming from all sides and he kept firing. It was only when he ran out of ammo that he dropped his rifle and held up his hands. I sure hope wherever he is, Steely-Eyed Dan knows how much Lee Felts appreciates him. With a few more like him, maybe we might have won at the Massacree at Matewan. Probably not, but hey, a guy can dream, right? Okay, boys, now do wit me what you think I deserve. That's all Lee Felts has gots to say..."

Steely-eyed Dan expertly holds off many times his number of miners before finally surrendering to overwhelming numbers of coal miners and townsfolk

Mike Demana
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 02:41:55 AM by mikedemana »

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #198 on: August 30, 2023, 03:58:06 AM »
Ooh, lots of great pictures!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #199 on: August 31, 2023, 08:30:21 PM »
@FramFramson:  Thanks! and yeah, the miners are 2-0.  This is tough nut for the Baldwin-Felts boys to pull off...

@mikedemana:  Thanks for your report, Mike.  Well done!  And thanks for coming up again this year.  Maybe it should be an annual event!

@Cat:  Thanks.  And yep. Between mine and Mike's reports, there's plenty of eye candy...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #200 on: October 07, 2023, 10:08:53 PM »
Well, I'm all set to run this scenario twice next weekend at HMGS-Great Lakes' annual convention - Advance the Colors in Springfield, OH, USA.  So far, the Coal Miners are 2-0.  We'll see how they fare this time.  Of course, I will post AARs afterwards...

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #201 on: October 09, 2023, 06:30:06 PM »
Amazing looking game! The figures, vehicles and buildings are fantastic!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #202 on: October 11, 2023, 03:20:35 PM »
Amazing looking game! The figures, vehicles and buildings are fantastic!

Thanks! 

I'm looking forward to seeing how things go with it this weekend....

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #203 on: October 11, 2023, 05:09:45 PM »
Here's a figure query, if they're out there you're likely to have come across them for Matewan or Old West — any good assortment of civilians in overalls/dungarees available anywhere?  (preferably 25–28mm, maybe 30mm in a pinch, 32+ is right out)

My keyword searches and scouring of likely manufacturers websites has only turned up some cartoon hillbillies/rednecks that are quite unsuitable for anything else.

This has been a staple of working class garb for over 150 years now since Levi Strauss perfected denim manufacture during the Gold Rush!

Currently looks like my best option for modelling the Punks gang from The Warriors is conversion — carving down the tops of plastic Partisans and Gunfighters would be the path of least resistance.  (Some of Ainsty's Hooligans could work with their tops puttied a bit, but I've already used those figures for the High Hats in their suspenders.)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #204 on: October 11, 2023, 05:39:04 PM »
I'm not aware of any.  If you find some, let us know.  And if I do, I'll post it here...

...carving down the tops of plastic Partisans and Gunfighters would be the path of least resistance...

And did you use the word "resistance" in regards to Partisans on purpose?  :D

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #205 on: October 11, 2023, 08:00:49 PM »

And did you use the word "resistance" in regards to Partisans on purpose?  :D

Umm, a bit, yes.
: 3

I just spent tea time going through the stash of extra figures from Warriors shopping and did manage to pull out a mix of lead figures from Ainsty, Killer B, and Mega that are suitably armed and will carve easily enough into overalls.  Will do one plastic conversion for the Punk in the red shirt who is head and shoulders taller than all the others.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #206 on: October 11, 2023, 11:02:38 PM »
I do have 2 figures clad in overalls.  One is from the Warlord Bolt Action British LDV Section (see circled figure in pic below).  He came without a right hand, and a sprue of various firearms/improvised weapons to glue into the wrist socket.  I chose an M1897 Winchester pump shotgun from a Warlord plastic GIs sprue.

The other one is from Great Escape Games The Chicago Way range - their Moonshiners pack (see circled figure below).  He comes with a big revolver molded in his right hand.   

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #207 on: October 11, 2023, 11:52:51 PM »
Yeah, there's a few scattered out there, but not easy to amass 9 or 12.  Twould be nice if there was a pack of them considering that they are handy for several centuries of use and beyond...

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #208 on: October 12, 2023, 12:01:54 AM »
There's another in the Copplestone Hillbillies set. For full body overalls/coveralls have a look at the Eureka Soviet Workers Militia. As an added bonus the Remington and Winchester US contract Moisin Nagants were apparently reasonably popular guns sold to the NRA for $3.50 a piece, so you can get away with the rifles 'as is' if you like.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #209 on: October 21, 2023, 09:35:49 PM »
Well, we did get one of my 2 scheduled games of Matewan off last weekend at Advance the Colors.  I plan to post the AAR here within the next couple days (it's been a busy week...).