Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:15:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686447
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pony Wars - B Troop Ain’t Coming Back - Rules  (Read 1469 times)

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
Pony Wars - B Troop Ain’t Coming Back - Rules
« on: September 02, 2021, 02:33:39 PM »

Pony Wars, B Troop Ain’t Coming Back
This is a reprint and upgrade to an old set of awesome rules for the American Indian Wars in the Plains of the American Old West. These originally came out in 1980 and were such a blast to play. All the players would be the US Cavalry playing against the Native Americans controlled by chance and the umpire / games master. I had so much fun back in the day with these rules and can’t wait to try them again! I got my original copy from a flea market stand / bring & buy at an HMGS Historicon convention at the Penn Harris Inn in Pennsylvania around 1985 or 86 

The rules are an exact copy of the original text, however they’ve got a glossy make over with stunning pictures and a hard cover. Very well done indeed. The card decks, the old ones which have long since been impossible to find are finely reproduced and shipped with the rules. Thank you Baccus 6mm LTD for making good on your promise to reproduce this iconic and awesome set!

As a long time gamer and owner of the original rules set I can highly recommend these rules and am very satisfied with the revamped product. I would of however liked the set to be packed in a hard box as the ends of my book are slightly damaged as well as my card box. This however doesn’t detract from my joy of receiving these products. They are available here:

https://www.baccus6mm.com/

Here is the forward from the design team:

One of the many glossy evocative photos of beautiful troops and terrain that will surely motivate you to build and paint your own forces and terrain.

A sample page from the hard cover glossy rules book.

Excellent cover art and proprietary card deck required for the game mechanics. All made of high quality materials and well produced.

Caveat: I have no connection with this company selling the rules, the producer of the rules, nor the rules designers. I’m simply a satisfied customer and a big fan of this product.

Check out my blog:
https://sgtguinness.blogspot.com/2021/09/pony-wars-b-troop-aint-coming-back.html?m=1
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 02:36:51 PM by JBaumal »

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
Re: Pony Wars - B Troop Ain’t Coming Back - Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 02:54:03 PM »
Thanks J.
It's was  a very nice game..i still have the original edition..no ready made cards available but suggestion on how to make them...i see from the picts on your blog of this glossy edition that there is also a small colour plate depicting, maybe, John Wayne? :o..probably they have incuded him among the personalities that could pop up during the game?...maybe in substition of the Lone Ranger and Tonto who, as young guys without internet, we players here in Italy, have never heard about  lol..so we substituted them with Tex (an Italian comic's hero) and John Wayne :)...the only issue we all experimented was that they were too many indian braves figures to field..so many mounted ones with the consequent need of duplicated dismounted typs  :'( :'( :)..and even quite a few US Cavalry ecc...At time we where happy to game an fill gaps even with masses of unpainted but based 1:76 Indians from Atlantic...i also heard that there was around an home made "Sudan Version" to generate and deal with masses of Dervishes..maybe you also know about it?...maybe it could be used to generate natives and then simulate the fights with TSATF
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 08:44:08 PM by italwars »

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 04:31:46 PM »
Thank you for the heads up.

I Played them at a convention and enjoyed them, I almost purchased a cavalry troop and some Sioux from old Glory, but never pressed the button.

Perhaps I should!

Cheers
Matt

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 04:48:34 PM »
Just don't care for rules that use cards. Seems to be all the rage right now.

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 06:19:50 PM »

As these were first published in 1980 they are hardly jumping on the bandwagon... :-)

Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 08:24:58 PM »

:) :)..i totally agree with you..so i'm not the only strange guy to have that kind of snobbish disgust towards  today's millenial/nerds fashion of enjoying only "cards" driven games....by the way, together with that other pestilent feature  of the "activation", cards are the main reason behind my total disentert as concern today's glossy rules sythems full of bla bla.....i ve just experimented that historical  games played with those kind of Old School rule sets such as those from Feathersone, Grant, Wise and the great L. Broom usually  ended with the same results as if gamed with those modern card driven childish modern  rule systhems...
Said that, believe me,  Pony Wars, which i had fully tested and enjoyed for years, despite the cards, is really nice ...the cards are in fact a way to produce some kind of casual events and, in any case, you can simply find the table of those events included in  the book, scan, copy, re-edit  or just print it and associate the listed events to dice trows or better dice trows with percentage factors...
anyway that rule systhem is strongly suggested and could be a basis for ideas in other periods thant plain wars
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 08:55:56 PM by italwars »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 12:41:51 AM »
What wasn't mentioned is that the website cautions there are no plans for reprints so if you don't by while available you might miss out.  I already ordered my set of rules and cards!  A might pricey but these are the rules that inspired my collection for Pony Wars and Old West - only thing I need more of is mounted Indians.  And a LOT of painting. 

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 01:48:51 PM »
Where can this rulebook and card set be gleaned from please?

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 02:16:33 PM »
Where can this rulebook and card set be gleaned from please?

http://www.baccus6mm.com/