Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:49:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689752
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: ECW AAR - Baroque Rules  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
ECW AAR - Baroque Rules
« on: September 29, 2021, 01:40:52 PM »
Monday night we played an ECW game with Baroque Rules!

Both side played aggressively (as we wanted to test the rules to the limit). Initially the Royalist Right ploughed through the Parliamentary flank and threatened to roll up their entire army whilst a similar result was occurring on the other side of the table as the Roundheads Right broke the Royalist Left! A bloody and close engagement ensued that saw the Royalists just win!

A couple of pictures from the game!

We discovered Cavalry should not enter woods, well actually we knew that beforehand but retreating and pursuing Mounted Units sometimes have a mind of their own!

Parliamentary Infantry advance on their opponents!

There are more pictures on the TSOG Blog!
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com/2021/09/ecw-aar-baroque-rules.html
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: ECW AAR - Baroque Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 12:31:07 PM »
A good looking game

Glad you were able to get a game from Baroque, I’ve had the rules for sometime but never managed to understand them enough to work out how to play! We’ve switched to For King and Parliament which we were able to assimilate much more readily!

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 05:30:37 AM »
Cheers Fred, rules are okay except the combat resolution is a bit fiddly, once you get that sorted it all works pretty well for our Monday night sessions (we mastered the Lock n Load board game combat system so this was easy actually!) Plus there's an Ancients version so we can use it for that too!
😀

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 06:06:39 AM »
Captain, I'll start by saying I won't be buying Baroque as I have "For King and Parliament" which at the moment do it for me. I've got to a point where once I find a set of rules I am comfortable with I stick with them. I am intrigued though, as to how they match up to the original Impetus ? I used Impetus for ancients and really didn't get on with them.....albeit I know others loved them . I found the translations from Italian of the troop type acronyms annoyingly hard to remember, and the gameplay quite fiddly. We moved on to "To the Strongest" when they were released and have never looked back. That said I understand why some people don't like TTS!       

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 07:06:45 AM »
Hi SJWi, I do not own Baroque myself nor do we have no association with the writers. One of the guys in our group owns them and we decided after testing them, Victory Without Quarter and Pike & Shotte these best fitted our Monday night gaming sessions. As to comparing them with Impetus I believe from what Maurice (our Impetus expert) says these have changes which are featured in Impetus 2. War Game Rules are pretty personal what one person likes another doesn’t...
😃
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 07:25:45 AM by Captain Darling »